Coffeehouse Thread

60 posts

Interviewing programmers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Massif

Minh wrote:
    Anyone has an opinion on multi-on-one vs. one-on-one interviews? Personally, I think being interviewed by  many people is fun, but I hear it could be stressful, too.

Be especially mindful not to arrange everything to be intimidating. Unless you're interviewing for a position where coping with initimidating situations is important. (Avoid the classic, interviewers on one side of a long desk, and interviewee isolated on their own little chair in front of them.)

As someone who doesn't like interviews at all, more than a couple of people could be terrifying.

Then again, fitting in with the team is critical in most situations, perhaps "interview" by testing people out in a mock-working environment. (Perhaps something like a brainstorming session with the team, see how they fit in.)

• User profile image
    Bas

Massif wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

I wouldn't use .NET in a high-perf system ...

Herbie

You wouldn't?

I know there's high-performance and there's high-performance but .NET performs pretty well under most conditions, and I'd opt for managed code in really all situations over unmanaged.

Besides, this guy is running a .NET application that's performing pretty nicely.

• User profile image
    Massif

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

You wouldn't?

I know there's high-performance and there's high-performance but .NET performs pretty well under most conditions, and I'd opt for managed code in nearly all situations over unmanaged.

Reason being, unmanaged code has the ability to be made fast, but it's hard to make it so (when we're talking really fast.) Whereas .NET is easy to make fast. (But the top speed is slightly lower.)

If you're opting for unmanaged you'd have to justify it to me (and if you're not profiling your code for performance you'll get shot.) Many people seem to think C++ is an optimisation step in and of itself over .NET, but the truth is that it's quite easy to make a horrendously slow C++ app if you're not careful.

However, I'm just a lackey, and not in a position to be making these decisions.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas wrote:

Massif wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Herbie

You wouldn't?

I know there's high-performance and there's high-performance but .NET performs pretty well under most conditions, and I'd opt for managed code in really all situations over unmanaged.

Besides, this guy is running a .NET application that's performing pretty nicely.

To me high performance is high performance: counting the cycles, unrolling loops, using your own memory management for speed, using assembly where it really matters, you know, all the optimization tricks turned up to 11.

I should point out I don't do the high performance stuff. I'm not smart enough to do it, only smart enough to understand how it can get done.

Herbie

• User profile image
    amotif

andy_hanger18 wrote:
    Do people really go this nasty and technical in interviews?

By "nasty" do you mean deep probing highly technical questions?

Then, yes, but largely it depends on whether the position is suited for a new grad's knowledge or a seasoned pro's experience.

• User profile image
    blowdart

amotif wrote:

andy_hanger18 wrote:

Then, yes, but largely it depends on whether the position is suited for a new grad's knowledge or a seasoned pro's experience.

I interviewed 9 people in the last two weeks. One didn't even know what boxing was despite his claim of 5 years .net. Frankly if you're going to lie then my questions may well be considered nasty.

Two of the candidates fed back that the interview was challenging and one of those said he found it fun. They got offers.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

One of the best interviews I had was for a financial company who wanted a ASP.Net developer.

I had two senior guys grilling me for over an hour. They were asking me some pretty hard questions and asking me to come up with soluti9ons for business problems for which I was at the most part answering quite well.

I came out feeling like i'd been taken down a peg and it helped me to realise where my knowledge gaps were.

I didn't get the role, they said I knew my stuff but they were looking for someone with maybe 1 or 2 more years experience at a senior level Sad

Anyway is was a great learning experience and still the most challenging interview I've ever had.

• User profile image
    lorad

In my past experience I have found that a short programming problem that I gave to candidates before they came in was the best thing I could do.

Some people just don't interview well, they forget what polymorphism is but they use it and know when to use it. Or they forget what ABC means, or they don't know what methodology they use in strict naming terms.

Lots of good developers don't bother to memorize definitions (at least ones I have worked with) and alot of crapy ones do.

I have never hired a person that could not do the job I wanted after I started giving out the small project. I have had people refuse to do it (It took me 2 hours to do it from scratch, so I figure it should not take more than 6 hours worst possible case), sure that may seem like a lot, but I don't want someone that does not like to code at home (not necessarily work but for fun at least a little).

The basic outline is to read and XML file with some set of data. Create 2 classes that have an obvious hierarchy. Write and use a simple web service to do calculations. Write a simple UI to query a small set of data in a very limited and controlled way.

I don't even care how you do it, if you do it with no inheritance etc. but you better be able to tell my why not. Then the whole interview is mostly about the application, and that spawns more questions and usually a good dialog.

• User profile image
    Minh

amotif wrote:

andy_hanger18 wrote:

No, he meant obscure question like:

- Why does this statement not give me the right time? DateTime.Now.ToString("hh:MM:ss")

that's design more to show the interviewer's smugness than test the interviewee's ability to work Smiley

• User profile image
    amotif

Minh wrote:

- Why does this statement not give me the right time? DateTime.Now.ToString("hh:MM:ss")

that's design more to show the interviewer's smugness than test the interviewee's ability to work Smiley

Hmm, no clue. But I do notice that the minutes, which are incorrect, happen to be the current month... 10:08:21  Smiley

What really drives me nuts is interviewers who try to show how smart they. Far worse than interviewers who ramble on about the cool stuff they work on when it has nothing to do with what I would be working on.

• User profile image
    Minh

amotif wrote:

Hmm, no clue. But I do notice that the minutes, which are incorrect, happen to be the current month... 10:08:21  Smiley

That's correct! It's because there's a freakin' googlie-eyed face in the freakin' format string!

DateTime.Now.ToString("hh:MM:ss")

amotif wrote:

What really drives me nuts is interviewers who try to show how smart they. Far worse than interviewers who ramble on about the cool stuff they work on when it has nothing to do with what I would be working on.

Yep! Interviewing people is a head trip. I don't know how Blowdart does it! Smiley

• User profile image
    sylvan

Dr Herbie wrote:
    OK, firstly polymorphism has nothing to do with code-reuse.  That's where you're confusing class inheritance with polymorphism (although you're right, polymorphism does depend on inheritance).

No, that's wrong. Value based dispatch depends on inheritance, polymorphism does not. Polymorphism does have something to do with code reuse preciesly because you can write a function that works on values of multiple types.

Here's a polymorhic method that doesn't depend on inheritance in the least:

static T pickFirst<T>(T a, T b)
    {
                return a;
    }

Normally this isn't very useful, you'd have to constrain the template parameter somehow (and obviously you'd do that using interfaces, and you might almost be able to claim that interfaces depend on inheritance, but that would also be wrong - consider something like Haskell that has no inheritance but manages to have a type hierarchy and polymorphism anyway; by simply using type-based dispatch rather than value-based dispatch). Consider something like

static uint length<T>( MyList<T> list )
    {
              return list.IsEmpty ? 0 : 1 + length( list.tail);
    }

This is a much more useful function that does not depend on inheritance either, and would still be exceedingly polymorphic in that it can work on lists of any element type (in this case an immutable singly linked list).

So yeah, inheritance is one way of doing subtyping, but not the only way of doing polymorphism.

• User profile image
    amotif

Minh wrote:
    Yep! Interviewing people is a head trip. I don't know how Blowdart does it!

Smiley

I forked a new thread on interviewers: Bad Interviewer, No Cookie

Be gentle. Cool

• User profile image
    blowdart

Minh wrote:

Yep! Interviewing people is a head trip. I don't know how Blowdart does it!

Actually I usually hate it because people are generally lying gits about their experience. It's almost worth it to find someone decent, but the muppets just depress me.

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

Minh wrote:

amotif wrote:

andy_hanger18 wrote:

- Why does this statement not give me the right time? DateTime.Now.ToString("hh:MMs")

that's design more to show the interviewer's smugness than test the interviewee's ability to work

That saved me replying Smiley  Sorry, it is what I was trying to say. I just meant nasty in a loose term.

• User profile image
    fuzzylintman

Regarding naming a class without ToString, what about the 'Math' class (or any purely static class)? 

-mdb

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

sylvan wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:
    OK, firstly polymorphism has nothing to do with code-reuse.  That's where you're confusing class inheritance with polymorphism (although you're right, polymorphism does depend on inheritance).

No, that's wrong. Value based dispatch depends on inheritance, polymorphism does not. Polymorphism does have something to do with code reuse preciesly because you can write a function that works on values of multiple types.

Here's a polymorhic method that doesn't depend on inheritance in the least:

static T pickFirst<T>(T a, T b)
    {
                return a;
    }

Normally this isn't very useful, you'd have to constrain the template parameter somehow (and obviously you'd do that using interfaces, and you might almost be able to claim that interfaces depend on inheritance, but that would also be wrong - consider something like Haskell that has no inheritance but manages to have a type hierarchy and polymorphism anyway; by simply using type-based dispatch rather than value-based dispatch). Consider something like

static uint length<T>( MyList<T> list )
    {
              return list.IsEmpty ? 0 : 1 + length( list.tail);
    }

This is a much more useful function that does not depend on inheritance either, and would still be exceedingly polymorphic in that it can work on lists of any element type (in this case an immutable singly linked list).

So yeah, inheritance is one way of doing subtyping, but not the only way of doing polymorphism.

OK, to qualify I should have said OOP polymorphism, not type polymorphism. And I still say OOP polymorphism is nothing to do with code reuse (because you can use interface or pure abstract classes as the polymorphic base and by definition these contain no logic).

But as I stated, most (of the dozen or do) candidates that I've interviewed over the last couple of years for C# development positions couldn't explain either version of polymorphism.

Herbie

• User profile image
    jimMarriott

Wow! shouting 'NO' at someone's explanation of something is pretty lame - but to then go on and impose your misunderstanding of the difference between the System.Delegate class and the C# compiler generated class allowing for closures as fact is - frankly- embarassing for you. Bless. You should download Reflector it will help you avoid these kind of situations in future.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.