Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Interesting Vista Music vs. Network article

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MB

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=702

This is naturally the type of thing the Inquirer and the other "Tabloid" sites live for.

The original thread on 2CPU.COM is interesting more for the number of posters who immediately decided the cause was DRM... 'cos it's got it's fingers in everywhere dude !!

Nevertheless, I'm sort of curious as to what it's about and what's causing it.

• User profile image
    Bas

Oh my God, Gutman was right after all!!!!!

Anyway, anyone able to check if this happens with other playes, or what the dxdiag tool says?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It sure doesn't happen on my system. Maybe his audio driver is doing something weird?

• User profile image
    MB

Over on the Inquirer, the article: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41842 states...

~In this, Vista seems to be showing its legacy of "cooperative multitasking" from Windows 3.0 onward.~

I assume that this is just an inflammatory jibe, and that the writer didn't actually believe that to be true.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Maybe he should try stopping the Multimedia Class Scheduler service.

MMCS: Enables relative prioritization of work based on system-wide task priorities. This is intended mainly for multimedia applications.  If this service is stopped, individual tasks resort to their default priority.

• User profile image
    glebd

Microsoft explains (Translation: we don't know WTF is going on, but most likely it's all this vast amount of DRM code gobbling up CPU, and we cannot really admit this, so we need to come up with some more FUD.) Pathetic.

• User profile image
    Bas

glebd wrote:
    Microsoft explains (Translation: we don't know WTF is going on, but most likely it's all this vast amount of DRM code gobbling up CPU, and we cannot really admit this, so we need to come up with some more FUD.) Pathetic.

What's pathetic is that everybody keeps attributing this to DRM without any clear indication that it is indeed the cause.

Science. Hypothesis, evidence, conclusion.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

glebd wrote:

Explain to me how I am able to play mp3 music in WMP and still be able to download and upload at 10mbps??

...oh yeah, we haven't been on the moon yet and US government brougt down NY twins. Perplexed

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Bas wrote:

What's pathetic is that everybody keeps attributing this to DRM without any clear indication that it is indeed the cause.

Science. Hypothesis, evidence, conclusion.

this cannot be drm-related since the CPU usage is pretty low and also this happens with all sort of audio, not only with the one played through WMP (that uses the protected audio path). I believe it has something to do with the network drivers that lose their priority due to the multimedia scheduler always switching context. I wonder if somebody has tried changing NIC or the NIC settings.

on my PC (realtek soundcard, rtl8139+ network card) this doesn't seem to happen at all.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

glebd wrote:

Explain to me how I am able to play mp3 music in WMP and still be able to download and upload at 10mbps??

...oh yeah, we haven't been on the moon yet and US government brougt down NY twins.

if you like conspiracies there's a better explanation to this.

since Vista audio drivers weren't anywhere near ready at launch, with realtek (most used) drivers using about 35% CPU on a pentium 4 3ghz (some other audio drivers did even worse) Microsoft decided to assign 80% of the CPU to audio/video drivers through the MMCSS service.

if in fact the CPU assigned was below than 50% then audio would have always been skipping and popping on slower systems ruining all the show with people screaming "OMG Vista can't even do audio. Vista is the 5ux0r5".

microsoft also probably didn't take in account cool&quiet and speedstep because they were in an hurry: speedstep will clock down the CPU and since Vista reserves only 20% of the CPU to the rest any other activity will be extremely slowed down (if the network card let's say 10% of cpu at 3ghz, how much do you think it would use at a downclocked 800mhz speed with an artificial 20% limit?).

also the CPU won't clock up, because the low cpu usage that is artificially limited by vista's MMCSS. this is most likely the cause of all this mess.

so speedstep/cool&quiet enabled and a slow pc are probably the causes. too bad I don't have a pc with such problem to try this out :O

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Ok I started downloading debian dvd images (btw I found out lamers are blocking IE, so I had to use FF) and fired up torrents. There's no difference if I do only this or if I listen to two mp3 streams or even two movies. Maybe because I don't have gigabit connection?

I'm not saying the glitch someone experienced does not exist - it's just that vista probably does not have this problem. Maybe a guy had bad drivers installed, anyone thought about that? Smiley

• User profile image
    KevinB

Sven Groot wrote:

How dare you Sven, that better be €0.02 because LarryO's posts are worth alot more than the average 2c!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

KevinB wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:
    Mark Russovich explains what happened.

Larry Osterman adds his 2c.

How dare you Sven, that better be €0.02 because LarryO's posts are worth alot more than the average 2c!

It's just a figure of speech! A figure of speech I tells you! Don't send me back in the box! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*deep breath*

Ok, I'm calm now. Carry on.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Sven Groot wrote:

This is no good, this post contains an unacceptable amount of facts! Smiley

• User profile image
    KevinB

PerfectPhase wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:
    Mark Russovich explains what happened.

Larry Osterman adds his 2c.

This is no good, this post contains an unacceptable amount of facts!

Indeed. Shan't do at all.

On a somewhat related note, Charles and Rory et al need to get their act together and get Mark Russinovich back onto C9 pronto. His blog makes for some fine reading and the last video with him was a good watch also. I know he is probably busy cranking out new tools, but tell him I have personally asked for this video, I'm sure it will make all the difference....

• User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

it looks like somebody found a "solution" for this problem by turning off the culprit service.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I've maxed out my gigabit NIC on LAN parties before, it didn't result in audio glitching on XP. Might be related due to me using Intel NICs over the cheap crap like Realtek. But now that I've Vista, my audio glitches without much input from anything, even less the network stack. My current system, Solaris, doesn't have anything like realtime functionality in the scheduler (except if you perform a rain dance (it has a realtime scheduler)), huge network load doesn't throw off audio either.

So yeah, fission mailed.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.