Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WMP sucks. Winamp rocks.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Well I got my keyboard, logitech g15, and sure it controls WMP too, but theres already a plugin for winamp - so why reinvent the wheel? I've been running it - winamp rocks. The library system, albeit slightly dated (as in, all the tracks are just there, not put in groups or anything) is wicked, simple and easy to navigate, and the search is much faster.

And the killer feature: decent shuffle! Finally I'm listening to a variety of songs - WMPs shuffle is terrible.. I have some CD's on my pc I haven't listened to in a while, but Winamp has bought them right back to life.

If you haven't tried it, try it. It's awesome. I'm going to spend the next hour sorting my tracks into playlists. Winamp ftw.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

I used to use WinAMP but haven't used it in years. I don't really like the UI, I never liked the library system, and last I checked (which was when developing C9Music) it still had issues running under a limited account.

So, opinions vary on this. Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Well I got my keyboard, logitech g15, and sure it controls WMP too, but theres already a plugin for winamp - so why reinvent the wheel? I've been running it - winamp rocks. The library system, albeit slightly dated (as in, all the tracks are just there, not put in groups or anything) is wicked, simple and easy to navigate, and the search is much faster.

And the killer feature: decent shuffle! Finally I'm listening to a variety of songs - WMPs shuffle is terrible.. I have some CD's on my pc I haven't listened to in a while, but Winamp has bought them right back to life.

If you haven't tried it, try it. It's awesome. I'm going to spend the next hour sorting my tracks into playlists. Winamp ftw.

Hmmm.  Since I upgraded to Vista, my 'Currently Listening' plugin for Live Writer stopped working with WMP, but  I think there's a WinAmp interface too ... perhaps I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    I don't really like the UI

On the contary, in "Classic mode" (with an aesthetic skin) Winamp is tidied away on the top-right of my dualmon setup. I use mediakeys on my keyboard to windowshade/fullyOpen the playlist windows.

I wuvs Winamp.

• User profile image
    Massif

1998 wants its media-player debate back.

Now you've made me all nostalgic for Sonique.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    Classic mode

When I used winamp, classic mode was the only mode it had and I really hate that UI. If I want minimalist UI I'll use Foobar2000, at least that is an actual application and not a bunch of random too small buttons made to vaguely resemble everything that's bad about casette players.

Plus when an application needs a skin to prevent it from looking ugly you know you're in trouble.

All this is personal opinion, not fact.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    Plus when an application needs a skin to prevent it from looking ugly you know you're in trouble.

WindowsXP Luna, we're looking in your direction....

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

I actually like Luna. Smiley

• User profile image
    Soviut

I still use WinAMP, but I wouldn't exactly call it "wicked".  It gets the job done, supports a lot of formats and stays out of my way.  But its actually really bloated at this point and, as you said, the media library is pretty dated.  Not really a problem for me since I don't tend to use media libraries.

• User profile image
    mig

I'll stick to Foobar2000.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Sven Groot wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

I actually like Luna.

And so did the *vast* majority of users Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

I actually like Luna.

And so did the *vast* majority of users

They "liked" it. If a better skin was used in its place, they would have "liked" that one also.

The "Watercolor" style is more aesthetic, less visually insulting, and IMO: more visually consistent.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Dr Herbie wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Hmmm.  Since I upgraded to Vista, my 'Currently Listening' plugin for Live Writer stopped working with WMP, but  I think there's a WinAmp interface too ... perhaps I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.

Herbie

On WMP11 go to the arrow under "Now Playing", Plugins, Then make sure Windows live writer plugin is checked. Wink

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

W3bbo wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

I actually like Luna.

And so did the *vast* majority of users

They "liked" it. If a better skin was used in its place, they would have "liked" that one also.

The "Watercolor" style is more aesthetic, less visually insulting, and IMO: more visually consistent.

You forgot to add: in MY opinion.

Do you think we released Luna just as a fait accompli', with no user and usability testing? You may not have liked it, but a lot other people did. Better than watercolour (that actually ranked as "bland", if I remember correctly) because it was a significant step away from the Windows 95-era of battleship grey.

• User profile image
    Blue​Firehawk02

"I'll stick to Foobar2000" lol, now that's a GUI

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

You forgot to add: in MY opinion.

"IMO" stands for that very thing Wink

PaoloM wrote:
    Do you think we released Luna just as a fait accompli', with no user and usability testing? You may not have liked it, but a lot other people did. Better than watercolour (that actually ranked as "bland", if I remember correctly) because it was a significant step away from the Windows 95-era of battleship grey.

This is why I hate people.

• User profile image
    mig

BlueFirehawk02 wrote:

Heh, you should actually check it out before you start critiquing... this is just ONE of MANY potential GUIs Click. Here is another, however I personally prefer ColumnsUI.

Just because the default GUI is plain doesn't mean it's not a great audio player, mind you its features range far beyond the GUI (as the screenshot I sent you illustrates by demonstrating that it has great extensibility support).

Finally, the Foobar Gallery thread.

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Blue​Firehawk02

mig wrote:

BlueFirehawk02 wrote:

Heh, you should actually check it out before you start critiquing... this is just ONE of MANY potential GUIs Click. Here is another, however I personally prefer ColumnsUI.

Just because the default GUI is plain doesn't mean it's not a great audio player, mind you its features range far beyond the GUI (as the screenshot I sent you illustrates by demonstrating that it has great extensibility support).

Finally, the Foobar Gallery thread.

My Bad, I thought I had detected sarcasm. Skinned, it does look a lot better. Personally, I have winamp installed on my pc for shoutcast. It is pretty extensible, but I have grown to enjoy the media sharing and library features of WinMP 11. I love the fact I can share media throughout the house periferals including my xbox360.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.