Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

will "ringing" phones become obsolete?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Soviut

I work at an animation studio.  I'm one of about 2 and a half developers in a company of 100 people or so.  We don't get many calls, people usually just walk over and ask us questions or give us requests.

So when the phone rang just now I joked out loud "what the hell was that?!  Did you guys hear something?  It sounded like some kind of ringtone".

It got me wondering.  With all the new music ringtones and different tone sequences that cells have today, is the traditional "ring" going to become obsolete.  I mean, I already kind of associate a phone call with the default Nokia ring now.

Junk food for thought.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have an "old phone" ringtone on my cellphone. You should look at the faces of the people when my phone rings: half laugh the other half is like WTF Big Smile

A friend of mine has a ringtone that's like if an old phone is broken. That's also a lot of fun.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Soviut wrote:
    I work at an animation studio.  I'm one of about 2 and a half developers in a company of 100 people or so.  We don't get many calls, people usually just walk over and ask us questions or give us requests.

So when the phone rang just now I joked out loud "what the hell was that?!  Did you guys hear something?  It sounded like some kind of ringtone".

It got me wondering.  With all the new music ringtones and different tone sequences that cells have today, is the traditional "ring" going to become obsolete.  I mean, I already kind of associate a phone call with the default Nokia ring now.

Junk food for thought.

my house is rings and beeps free since 2004 (poliphonic rings on all mobiles and cordless) :O

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

My phone rings with the tone from Fox Televisions 24. Which I think is a Cisco phone sound? Can anyone verify that?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Soviut wrote:
    Junk food for thought.

Crass consumers will happily be taken up the tailpipe by their phone service providers when it comes to downloading the latest fad ringtones and wallpapers from Jamba/Jamster.

The rest of us, the discerning percentile of the human race, just use the default.

But FWIW, I modified my phone so it plays an assortment of torture sounds and screams when an incoming calls gets in; "New mail has arrived" in a demonic voice when I get new SMS or Email, and the "Posses" sound for notifications. Straight from the "Dungeon Keeper - Windows 95 Plus! Themepack"

Anyone else have a nostalgia for mid/late 90s games and their obligatory desktop themes? Microsoft should bring them back.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The basic design rule for Japanese phones seems to be this: make the maximum volume for ringtones so low that they're completely useless.

"Manner mode", the official term for "silent mode", is the only accepted way to use a phone here.

• User profile image
    jamie

W3bbo wrote:

Soviut wrote:
    Junk food for thought.

Crass consumers will happily be taken up the tailpipe by their phone service providers when it comes to downloading the latest fad ringtones and wallpapers from Jamba/Jamster.

The rest of us, the discerning percentile of the human race, just use the default.

But FWIW, I modified my phone so it plays an assortment of torture sounds and screams when an incoming calls gets in; "New mail has arrived" in a demonic voice when I get new SMS or Email, and the "Posses" sound for notifications. Straight from the "Dungeon Keeper - Windows 95 Plus! Themepack"

Anyone else have a nostalgia for mid/late 90s games and their obligatory desktop themes? Microsoft should bring them back.

i too must quote "junkfood for thought"

cool... must write song...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I still have this idea to use the "Sink rate. Pull up." sounds from the Ground Proximity Warning System of most aircraft as a ringtone. Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Sven Groot wrote:

The basic design rule for Japanese phones seems to be this: make the maximum volume for ringtones so low that they're completely useless.

"Manner mode", the official term for "silent mode", is the only accepted way to use a phone here.

Werd.

My phone is on vibrate 95% of the day and when the ringer is on, it's a regular sounding phone ring (couldn't stand the default one since half of our hallway has the same phone [Palm Treo 700w SmartPhone]).

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

W3bbo wrote:

That sentence just... feels wrong. You can't be a discerning connoisseur when using the default for ANYTHING. The default is for the masses, doncha know?

Me, I've found that the Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" makes for a good ringtone, even on a non-polyphonic sound chip.

• User profile image
    Soviut

Yggdrasil wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

That sentence just... feels wrong. You can't be a discerning connoisseur when using the default for ANYTHING. The default is for the masses, doncha know?

Me, I've found that the Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" makes for a good ringtone, even on a non-polyphonic sound chip.

Ironically, I think you CAN be discerning if you use the default.  In the case of cell phones, most people change their ring immediatly.  In order to be unique, I've left mine with the default Nokia ring.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Soviut wrote:
    Ironically, I think you CAN be discerning if you use the default.  In the case of cell phones, most people change their ring immediatly.  In order to be unique, I've left mine with the default Nokia ring.

This is my point.

Said crass consumers feel the need to "express themselves" through the procurement of ringtones embodying elements and figures from today's popular culture.

By keeping the default (or something utilitarian and does the job, i.e. a simple ringing and/or vibrate as your needs entail) you're having a kind of passive-aggressive protest against the capitalist establishment where products are advertised to you everywhere. You're saying "no!", you won't allow your phone to be used as a marketing tool for celebrities or other consumer products.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

W3bbo wrote:

Anyone else have a nostalgia for mid/late 90s games and their obligatory desktop themes?

My ringtone is the theme to Hybris (old Amiga game), was just thinking about changing it Xenon II.  Message alert I stole from the movie Crank. 

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Vibrate only ever since I got phones which support it (Old Nokia 3210 didn't, think most of the time it was on silent). 

Personally, I can't stand ringtones.

• User profile image
    shrtcrt

I get annoyed by the ring tones. People have them on the loudest setting and half the time ignore them. If you don't want to answer it, press the button on the phone to turn off the ringer.  I love technology, bu people and their bluetooth headsets need a lesson in manners. Do you need to wear it all the time, NO! Take it off at restaurants, movie theaters, etc. When I see grandpa with one, that just cracks me up. I can not stand Nextels. For the love of all that is good and just, I don't want to hear both sides of the conversation in in the grocery store! That walkie talkie feature is annoying.

Cool things are invented, but them some people need to respect others around them. Vibrate is the best feature on a phone!

• User profile image
    Soviut

W3bbo wrote:

Soviut wrote:

This is my point.

Said crass consumers feel the need to "express themselves" through the procurement of ringtones embodying elements and figures from today's popular culture.

By keeping the default (or something utilitarian and does the job, i.e. a simple ringing and/or vibrate as your needs entail) you're having a kind of passive-aggressive protest against the capitalist establishment where products are advertised to you everywhere. You're saying "no!", you won't allow your phone to be used as a marketing tool for celebrities or other consumer products.

I believe its from the same vein as "You non-conformists are all the same".  Its tough being an individual when everyone's doing it, hehe.

• User profile image
    Soviut

shrtcrt wrote:
    I get annoyed by the ring tones. People have them on the loudest setting and half the time ignore them. If you don't want to answer it, press the button on the phone to turn off the ringer.  I love technology, bu people and their bluetooth headsets need a lesson in manners. Do you need to wear it all the time, NO! Take it off at restaurants, movie theaters, etc. When I see grandpa with one, that just cracks me up. I can not stand Nextels. For the love of all that is good and just, I don't want to hear both sides of the conversation in in the grocery store! That walkie talkie feature is annoying.

Cool things are invented, but them some people need to respect others around them. Vibrate is the best feature on a phone!

It drives me nuts that phones have "broadcast" or "boom box" features to play their tinny grainy ringtones or mp3s out loud.  Sorry kid, but you're neither a playah nor a gangsta sitting on the bus behind me playing akon rings.

I once got so pissed off that i turned around and told the kid to "please answer your phone" and then gestured with my hands as if i was snapping a pencil in half, indicating that I'd be doing that to his clamshell in a few seconds if he didn't comply.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

shrtcrt wrote:

Can't remember where I heard this, but someone described a phone as the equivalent of someone walking into the room and shouting 'Talk to me now' repeatedly at the top of their voice! Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.