Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

will "ringing" phones become obsolete?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Yeah its annoying. Once I got thrown off a bus because the kid sitting behind me was playing loud music - we both got thrown off - when I hadn't done anything.

I complained and got a year bus ticket for free Big Smile

Still, an inconvenience Sad I ended up walking 4 miles home Tongue Out

*I especially hate the ringtone: Message.. Message! MESSAGE!!! until you blow the driver in your phone or something. I (l) my treo Big Smile thank the lord for vibrate.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Can't remember where I heard this, but someone described a phone as the equivalent of someone walking into the room and shouting 'Talk to me now' repeatedly at the top of their voice!

I distinctly remember hearing this somewhere too.

Could it have been Stephen Fry on QI who said that?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Sven Groot wrote:

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Can't remember where I heard this, but someone described a phone as the equivalent of someone walking into the room and shouting 'Talk to me now' repeatedly at the top of their voice!

I distinctly remember hearing this somewhere too.

Could it have been Stephen Fry on QI who said that?

That sounds like it!

• User profile image
    shrtcrt

People can be annoying with their persoanl products. Learn a bit of respect for others around you. The best is seeing someone yelling in public on their phone and then giving you a dirty look when you look at them. People need a course in cell phone ettiquete before they take it home. I would love to fine people for being ignorant on the phone. I think we as a society need to start yelling at them when they do that crap. Just like I lay on the horn when I get cut off, or someone does something stupid. I also dislike the people who think they are too good to pull into a parking spot and instead park in front of the building with their hazards on waiting for people. I get behind them and lay on the horn until they move.

• User profile image
    kettch

dupe

• User profile image
    kettch

shrtcrt wrote:
    People can be annoying with their persoanl products. Learn a bit of respect for others around you. The best is seeing someone yelling in public on their phone and then giving you a dirty look when you look at them.
    Seriously, what's up with that? Why do people have the need to yell? Say what you want about phone companies, but most networks are able to provide a clear and understandable phone conversation. However, most people still think that they are talking on a static-y analog connection.Of course equally annoying is when people get angry about how rude I am when I am talking on a cell phone in a resturant or some place public and I am not talking a single decibel louder than if I was talking to someone right across from me in person. Heck, most of the time I'm way too quiet for anybody around me to hear my end of the conversation.I guess people see someone on a phone and assume that just because they themselves are a loud, inconsiderate (I need to watch my language) when they are on their phone, that everybody else is as well.
    shrtcrt wrote:
    Just like I lay on the horn when I get cut off
    Technically speaking, it is illegal (not enforced, probably not really possible) in many places to use your horn unless there is a valid reason, and I don't think that vindictiveness is a valid reason.

On the subject of ringtones, my phone(s) are on vibrate 95% of the time. The rest of the time is usually when it's on the charger, but still somewhere that I can hear it, or while driving because vibrate doesn't usually punch through the vibrations of the car. Handsfree is usually a must as well.

When I do use ringtones, most of the people in my phonebook have a personalized ringtone that I've made with Audacity. It's mostly a 19-20 second lyric-less chop out of the bridge of some song that fits the person's personality, or some attribute of theirs.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

kettch wrote:
    When I do use ringtones, most of the people in my phonebook have a personalized ringtone that I've made with Audacity. It's mostly a 19-20 second lyric-less chop out of the bridge of some song that fits the person's personality, or some attribute of theirs.

Your ex-girlfriend: Pink Floyd - One Slip
    The GYM: Village People - YMCA
    Dominos Pizza: Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul
    911: Isaac Hayes - Shaft
    The GOP: Manic Street Preachers - If you tolerate this, then your children will be next
    Your current girlfriend: Cornershop - Brimful of Asha
    Comcast: Incubus - Idiot Box

Something like that, right?

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo wrote:

You get called by emergency services often then?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    Dominos Pizza: Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul

I think that's the first time I've heard of people getting called by Dominos or 911. Tongue Out

EDIT: Ninja'd by Bas! Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.