Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Programing Question: Named vs. Concurrent Users

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bernard_Marx

Warning.  I know very little about programing.

The new version of a software program my company uses is being rewritten in .NET, which is great.

The catch is that they say that it is impossible with .NET to continue the concurrent user license model and they must go to named users.

Is it true that with .NET that it is impossible to do concurrent users, or is this their excuse to ramp up the yearly fees they charge us?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bernard_Marx wrote:
    Warning.  I know very little about programing.

The new version of a software program my company uses is being rewritten in .NET, which is great.

The catch is that they say that it is impossible with .NET to continue the concurrent user license model and they must go to named users.

Is it true that with .NET that it is impossible to do concurrent users, or is this their excuse to ramp up the yearly fees they charge us?

Thanks!

A little more explanation would be helpful; is it a networked windows app, or a web based app? How does the current user counting system work?

• User profile image
    Bernard_Marx

Thanks for the response.  It is currently a networked windows app (database program that runs on top of SQL Server).

The new version will have two different types of users, one that will be web based with reduced functionality, and one that is still a windows app.  (there "goal" in the long run is for it to all be a web based app, but that is down the road, and I still personally believe that there are some things that will never be as easy over a web browser than they are through a truewindows application)

I am not sure how the current version of the software keeps track of concurrent users (but it clearly lets us know when we hit the number)

• User profile image
    borosen

I would say, .Net it self does not introduce restrictions  you did not have before.

Things that could trigger a licence model change, is a design change for instance.

I.e, moving from a rich client - server model, to a web based solution.

• User profile image
    blowdart

borosen wrote:
    I would say, .Net it self does not introduce restrictions  you did not have before.

Things that could trigger a licence model change, is a design change for instance.

I.e, moving from a rich client - server model, to a web based solution.

Yea, I'd pretty much agree, if it stayed as a Windows app. Concurrent user counts under a web app though is a bit more tricky, as do you count sessions (in which case an idle web browser can take up a slot), or named users.

Windows apps on the other hand, no reason to change a licensing model at all.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

My interpretation:
    The windows application opens a connection to the database server and keeps it open until the application is closed, while the website would open and immediately close the db connection when the webpage has finished loading.
    In this case the website would allow more users because there will probably be a connection limit on the db server but nothing stops the devs from using the same principle (open connection, do db stuff, close connection) in the windows application.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Bernard_Marx wrote:

If they use it as excuse then I guess they want more money.

They might say that it would be hard for them to rewrite old code which they never really liked and now, when porting app to .net they will make change in that part too is somehow valid, but an excuse that they are forced by .net is lil bit suspicious - I'm completely sure that they are not forced by .net with a reason that it can't be done in .net.

• User profile image
    rcardona

.NET applications have access to the entire Windows API through a mechanism known as P/invoke. They could even access their legacy concurrent user counting system through this mechanism. My guess that they are changing the licensing model like you said to increase revenue. As an existing customer you should have the ability to negotiate parity with past licensing but be expected to adopt the newer model for new/expanding user counts. Maybe there is some arrangement you could compromise on. The other possibility is to create generic name users and develop your own in-house system of distributing them to concurrent users.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.