Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Will there be a VS2008 RC1

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    nosajis

I had read at one point (do not remember where Embarassed) that there would be no RC for VS2008.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?  I myself have had good luck with both beta's so far.  And for this very reason I'd really like to see an release candidate so that MS can really drive home more quality and make this the VS we've all waited for.

Ya, so, here's to hoping for an RC, but just curious if anymore has been decided on this topic.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I would be very surprised if they didn't do an RC.

Can't imagine it going from Beta 2 > RTM.

I haven't heard anything about RC yet, but I'm sure it will happen (October time maybe?)

• User profile image
    mstefan

nosajis wrote:
    Ya, so, here's to hoping for an RC, but just curious if anymore has been decided on this topic.

Just out of curiousity, what more do you think should be done? I'm primarily a C++ guy, so aside from IntelliSense still being borked, VS2008 is largely a bugfix update from my perspective.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

mstefan wrote:

nosajis wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what more do you think should be done? I'm primarily a C++ guy, so aside from IntelliSense still being borked, VS2008 is largely a bugfix update from my perspective.

++

Betas are usually semi-unreliable with features missing that get added in RC, which is a sort of "final last beta, we promise", but the VS2008 seem to have everything pretty much sussed in the orcas/VS8 beta, so I can't really see what they'd have to add between beta and RTM.

• User profile image
    keeron

ben2004uk wrote:
    I would be very surprised if they didn't do an RC.

Can't imagine it going from Beta 2 > RTM.

I haven't heard anything about RC yet, but I'm sure it will happen (October time maybe?)

Internal milestones are different than the public releases. Ofcourse they'll have a RC (maybe more than one), but given that Beta 2 was feature complete and is very stable, I don't think there is a need for another public release before the RTM. Their testing efforts are probably well spent on the RTM and getting thru their internal milestones.

• User profile image
    nosajis

I most certainly don't have anything on a list here that I'd like or am lobbying for as regards to features.  I think I'm on the same page as has been noted in this thread that Beta2 was pretty well wrapped up in the features department.

I only want an RC because I'm lazy and depend on folks that actually are using it to report bugs.  I'm making a very limited assumption that the more pre-RTM builds the less need for service packs later.

And I'm basing all of this around the fact that VS2003 had a very LATE service pack and VS2005 had a HUGE one.

Plus, I get annoyed when people zing MS after release saying they could have done more ahead of the release and it looks like they have time to do something about that here.  Not that I really know their schedules, etc.

• User profile image
    mstefan

Well, if it's still on track for an RTM build in November, they don't have a whole lot of time there. And given that it seems to be very stable at this point, the last thing you want is any significant changes to anything. I'd personally have no problem if they cleaned up any remaining show stoppers and went straight to RTM. I'd think building multiple RCs would just end up diverting time from testing and bugfixes, and/or would push back the RTM date.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I just mentioned this on the forums and the next public release will be RTM. 

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=2061468&siteid=1&&notification_id=27123913&message_id=27123913

• User profile image
    jbanks27

There is a RC that is by invitation only.  However, I would have to tell you that there wouldn't be much reason for you to ask for it now.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

There is already an RC build, but only select people have it.

Its way better than Beta 2, from what I read. But I have not tried it. I will wait for RTM, which I hope is going to come sooner (like with in the next 4 weeks , sooner) than later.

• User profile image
    simdoc

It's a disappointment that there is no RC.  The linker crashed so much for me with my application in Beta 2 that I couldn't test it with my product.  This is an application that VS2005 does not crash during link.  I reported these crashes and would like to know if they were fixed.

If the same happens in the RTM, it will be useless and we'll stay with VS2005 and consequently will not need to renew our MSDN subscription until a stable product is available.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

No RC since RTM is being released any day ...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/default.aspx

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.