Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How often do you change your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

In any way.

Wallpapers, icon arrangements...

I do mine every week - updating the wallpaper and pruning off stuff I've saved to the desktop.

I ask weird questions Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jamie

i work - filling it up with icons and folders until  i can no longer see the desktop... then i clean it all up - and have default luna blue

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

errr... when I find a new desktop I like or am bored enough to make my own.

Icons/files?

I have a folder on my desktop called files. I just drop 'em in there.

• User profile image
    Angus

When I need to.

This is very rare. I like to use the "desk" analogy for my desktop space. I have no background (I run Ubuntu, and just use the default [in Windows, I just have a solid colour]) as I do not think that having a desktop background has a point. I have a piece of software to view images, I do not need to view them on my desktop.

I have some icons on the desktop (only files, etc. that I have to access enough for them to warrant the valuable space upon my desktop [they are moved after a while]).

For icons I might change the desktop every few days or weeks due to new work coming up, or needing to store files for transfer in a semi-permanent place.

It is not important for me to change the theme unless I believe that the theme I am using is causing me problems, or is causing my computer to run overly slowly.

I find it odd that people have background images, and often I find that themes people use are not great as well. It is no problem for me. I simply use a very basic looking desktop as I have no need for anything other than that.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    esoteric

I've not changed icons since my OS was Amiga Workbench (MUI). That's a couple of years ago. But the wallpaper regularly changes. Right now, Mike Swanson's wallpapers are on rotation.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

regularly, right now Im running Royale Noir on my Windows desktop and alternating Irix and Mac OS X Leopard wallpapers.  Screenshot here

• User profile image
    Scott.​Esbrandt

Since I'm completely compulsive I change it at least once a week.  I spend too much time in front of a computer to keep looking at the same background.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Scott.Esbrandt wrote:
    Since I'm completely compulsive I change it at least once a week.  I spend too much time in front of a computer to keep looking at the same background.

Same here

Right now i have a really nice orange-hued Golden Gate Bridge. beautiful.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Currently I have a modified version of the green flag for xp home:

• User profile image
    zian

I rarely change my desktop. I clean it up before I shut down/hibernate for the day.

• User profile image
    Bas

I currently have an almost completely black background, except for Sam & Max, staring at a green message that states that the internet is glowering at me, callous and angry.

• User profile image
    TimP

When I get a new monitor with a new resolution. I had been using the same wallpaper for over two years at 1280x1024, then bought a widescreen monitor and switched wallpapers again.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I'll typically change my desktop wallpaper every few weeks.  I clean up icons on a regular basis--  I don't have any shortcuts on my desktop, but I usually download files to the desktop.

Here's my desktop right now:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Post it.

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Same here

Right now i have a really nice orange-hued Golden Gate Bridge. beautiful.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

I exchange wallpaper at most seasonally, and avoid having the same imagery amongst machines.  I abhor desktop icons, which I think are a leftover from antiquated desktop managers (cough cough Lisa) that modern systems just haven't gotten over.  I disable their appearence on the desktop under any managemant software under any operating system.  A few desktop applets are a lot nicer and more useful.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Chinmay007 wrote:

I hope my current BG doesn't offend anyone.

Actually it tells a lot about you...

• User profile image
    Koogle

"I hope my current BG doesn't offend anyone"

lol.. the wallpaper with window opening is pretty funny, but that wouldn't be enough to make me migrate.

• User profile image
    j0217995

Lately I've never understood the point of the dekstop.  I just use Launch or Katapult to open up what I need and hardly ever notice the icons on the desktop.

I try to clean things up once a year, maybe once every 6 months or so

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.