Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

How often do you change your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

In any way.

Wallpapers, icon arrangements...

I do mine every week - updating the wallpaper and pruning off stuff I've saved to the desktop.

I ask weird questions Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jamie

i work - filling it up with icons and folders until  i can no longer see the desktop... then i clean it all up - and have default luna blue

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

errr... when I find a new desktop I like or am bored enough to make my own.

Icons/files?

I have a folder on my desktop called files. I just drop 'em in there.

• User profile image
    Angus

When I need to.

This is very rare. I like to use the "desk" analogy for my desktop space. I have no background (I run Ubuntu, and just use the default [in Windows, I just have a solid colour]) as I do not think that having a desktop background has a point. I have a piece of software to view images, I do not need to view them on my desktop.

I have some icons on the desktop (only files, etc. that I have to access enough for them to warrant the valuable space upon my desktop [they are moved after a while]).

For icons I might change the desktop every few days or weeks due to new work coming up, or needing to store files for transfer in a semi-permanent place.

It is not important for me to change the theme unless I believe that the theme I am using is causing me problems, or is causing my computer to run overly slowly.

I find it odd that people have background images, and often I find that themes people use are not great as well. It is no problem for me. I simply use a very basic looking desktop as I have no need for anything other than that.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    esoteric

I've not changed icons since my OS was Amiga Workbench (MUI). That's a couple of years ago. But the wallpaper regularly changes. Right now, Mike Swanson's wallpapers are on rotation.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

regularly, right now Im running Royale Noir on my Windows desktop and alternating Irix and Mac OS X Leopard wallpapers.  Screenshot here

• User profile image
    Scott.​Esbrandt

Since I'm completely compulsive I change it at least once a week.  I spend too much time in front of a computer to keep looking at the same background.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Scott.Esbrandt wrote:
    Since I'm completely compulsive I change it at least once a week.  I spend too much time in front of a computer to keep looking at the same background.

Same here

Right now i have a really nice orange-hued Golden Gate Bridge. beautiful.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Currently I have a modified version of the green flag for xp home:

• User profile image
    zian

I rarely change my desktop. I clean it up before I shut down/hibernate for the day.

• User profile image
    Bas

I currently have an almost completely black background, except for Sam & Max, staring at a green message that states that the internet is glowering at me, callous and angry.

• User profile image
    TimP

When I get a new monitor with a new resolution. I had been using the same wallpaper for over two years at 1280x1024, then bought a widescreen monitor and switched wallpapers again.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I'll typically change my desktop wallpaper every few weeks.  I clean up icons on a regular basis--  I don't have any shortcuts on my desktop, but I usually download files to the desktop.

Here's my desktop right now:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Post it.

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Same here

Right now i have a really nice orange-hued Golden Gate Bridge. beautiful.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

I exchange wallpaper at most seasonally, and avoid having the same imagery amongst machines.  I abhor desktop icons, which I think are a leftover from antiquated desktop managers (cough cough Lisa) that modern systems just haven't gotten over.  I disable their appearence on the desktop under any managemant software under any operating system.  A few desktop applets are a lot nicer and more useful.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Chinmay007 wrote:

I hope my current BG doesn't offend anyone.

Actually it tells a lot about you...

• User profile image
    Koogle

"I hope my current BG doesn't offend anyone"

lol.. the wallpaper with window opening is pretty funny, but that wouldn't be enough to make me migrate.

• User profile image
    j0217995

Lately I've never understood the point of the dekstop.  I just use Launch or Katapult to open up what I need and hardly ever notice the icons on the desktop.

I try to clean things up once a year, maybe once every 6 months or so

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.