Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

How often do you change your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Koogle

So my desktop wallpaper probably only gets changed after a couple of weeks but I have tons of high res photos I go through so desktop wallpaper isn't looked at that much when I have programs running aswel etc

desktop junk folder.. usually any icons that haven't been added to truelaunchbar, and files that never got sorted out.

A quick run through of my most favoured apps usually chosen based on features, customizing ability, plugins & built in shortucts..

-XnView(Image) - Very lightweight but fully featured image viewer
    -Winamp(Audio) - with Single UI skin, I've yet to put this skin through the photoshop mill.
    -Zoomplayer(Video) - Great little/powerful video player
    -Maxthon2(Browser) - Puts all other browsers to shame, even in its unfinished state.
    -Truelaunchbar(quicklaunch bar replacement) - nuff said, first explorer addon I always install after a fresh format, followed by dmex toolbar for its favourite bar and Foldersize.
    -Stroke it(Mouse Gestures) - Mouse gestures for just about anything, using windows just wouldn't be the same without this utility.

Anyway thats most the ones covered in the desktop screenshot Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

At home I don't change often, but at work I have family photos on rotation every 30 minutes as wallpaper.

I only add new icons of there's something new that I need regular access to.

I tend not to change theme.

Herbie.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Mines changes every day and also displays different background on different monitors, thanks to OS X Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    after discovering this theme nothing has ever been the same.

actually the screenshot above isn't my desktop it's just the deviantart image of such theme

They do gradient overload to the point where it "looks good", no real design-sense.

Still... looks better than Luna.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Christ, talked about chavved up desktop lol

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

after discovering this theme nothing has ever been the same.

actually the screenshot above isn't my desktop it's just the deviantart image of such theme (the sidebar, yzdock etc are all optional) :O

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

W3bbo wrote:

They do gradient overload to the point where it "looks good", no real design-sense.

Still... looks better than Luna.

yes but look at those gradients on a decent monitor and you'll see how cool they are Wink

if I can find the .theme file I'll make a uncompressed screenshot of it running on a VM. personally I started enjoying them only after moving to a DVI monitor, strangely on VGA those colors look a bit washed out.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

if I can find the .theme file I'll make a uncompressed screenshot of it running on a VM. personally I started enjoying them only after moving to a DVI monitor, strangely on VGA those colors look a bit washed out.

Maybe it's the other way around. High-end CRTs have more faithful colour reproduction.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

W3bbo wrote:

Maybe it's the other way around. High-end CRTs have more faithful colour reproduction.

the monitor with VGA was also a LCD, this theme always looked fine on the CRTs where I tried it.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Wallpaper! How common. I use moving images as my background.

See dreamscene, Vista Ultimate. Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I update my desktop very rarely. Before this picture (which I took myself) I used an image from Myst IV for a few years. I don't use hte icons on my desktop mostly, so almost all of them were put there by installers. The most important icon on there is actually "New Text Document.txt", which I use as scratch for anything and everything. Smiley

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Boot Screen: Glenwood

Cursors: Fedora Core Inverse (I don't want to start a flame but the Vista cursor's shape looks incredibly similar to the fedora cursor, if you have vista and place your cursor above the cursor in the image you can see they're very similar)

Theme: Luna Element

Wallpaper: Silky embossed

Icons/Resources/Logon screen: XPize (see Before and After images here)

unfortunately I can't find the box of vmware with my license key or I would have posted a final screenshot of all the above put together Sad

• User profile image
    die-Sel

clean and simple

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

My current desktop. As you can see I love MSPaint so much I had to bring it along with me. Gimp and Photoshop are overkill much of the times.

My Vista desktop on my laptop is pretty boring looking but sufficient.

• User profile image
    Angus

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

My current desktop. As you can see I love MSPaint so much I had to bring it along with me. Gimp and Photoshop are overkill much of the times.

MS Paint is certainly something I miss in Linux. I use GNU Paint though; not as good, but it can get quick things done.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I can't any wallpapers that a) I like, b) look good on a multimonitor desktop. I'm always using the stock gradient graphics wallpapers.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

I can win this thread - I've just changed monitors Big Smile

And a question for everyone who says icons are a waste of time - what then is the point of the desktop - you may as well go back to command line.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

That was a really stupid thing to post.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.