Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How often do you change your desktop?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Tom Servo wrote:
    That was a really stupid thing to post.

Are you talking to me?

My first line or my second line?

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

The second line.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Speaking of...

Generic Forum Image
    (Pro click zone)

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Dual monitor. 3200x1200.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

GoddersUK wrote:

Tom Servo wrote:
    The second line.

A more sensible idea would be to replace desktop/start menu with something like <a href="http://launchy.net/">Launchy</a>, in the centre of the screen, and nothing else.

Still my point - if the desktops not for icons what is it for?

True Launch Bar trumps Launchy.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

GoddersUK wrote:

Pictures of my children?

A temporary holder for files I'm processing?

Exercising my mouse pointer 'cos I don't want it getting fat?

Filling up the empty space on my monitor, so it doesn't collapse in on itself?

Um ....

Herbie

• User profile image
    Angus

Dr Herbie wrote:

Pictures of my children?

This always perplexes me. Why do people have images as dekstop backgrounds (as opposed to something plain [while technically an image, is not the type of image I refer to])?

I generally do not see my background all that much, and I have an image viewer to look at images, why do I need an image plastered on my desktop?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Massif

W3bbo wrote:

True Launch Bar trumps Launchy.

What madness is this? They're ever so slightly different things as far as I can tell. Launchy's good for opening stuff without ever touching the mouse, True Launch Bar looks like it requires the mouse and is just a replacement for quicklaunch.

Also, WindowsKey + <Number> is useful for launching from the quicklaunch bar.

To re-create my desktop you will need the following:

The standard "orange flower" image.
    "My computer", "User" and "Recycle Bin" icons on the desktop
    The Ctrl Key, and a mouse wheel, which you use to make your icons really big, but not quite as big as maximum.

That is all.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Angus wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Pictures of my children?

This always perplexes me. Why do people have images as dekstop backgrounds?

I generally do not see my background all that much, and I have an image viewer to look at images, why do I need an image plastered on my desktop?

Angus Higgins

I never used to, until I had kids.  Hormones are funny things ...

I find it quite nice that on the rare occasions that I do see my desktop, I have a randomised picture to see (I use Microsoft Wallpaper changer to change it every 30 minutes or so).

Herbie

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Oops... that was meant to be an edit... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Tom Servo wrote:
    The second line.

A more sensible idea would be to replace desktop/start menu with something like Launchy, in the centre of the screen, and nothing else.

• User profile image
    Flashbak

I don't change my desktop wallpaper all that often, when I've found one that a) spans 3840x1200 without distortion and b) has or can be corrected to have an appropriate tonal range, I tend to stick with it.

I'm not sure some brightly coloured backdrop does ones eyes any good poking out from behind and around windows on the desktop - certainly when I'm staring at a screen for many (too many!) hours a day exceptional contrast is what I don't want.

I remember the last time I changed icons, cursors etc, it was when I first installed Windows 95.  I think all that eye candy is something I've just grown out of...

... gazes at OS X desktop (or maybe I just get eye candy fix elsewhere these days!!) 

• User profile image
    Island Dog

I change mine quite often, depending on what I'm doing during the week.  This is the WindowBlinds 6 beta.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.