• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Dual monitor. 3200x1200.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

GoddersUK wrote:

Tom Servo wrote:
    The second line.

A more sensible idea would be to replace desktop/start menu with something like <a href="http://launchy.net/">Launchy</a>, in the centre of the screen, and nothing else.

Still my point - if the desktops not for icons what is it for?

True Launch Bar trumps Launchy.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

GoddersUK wrote:

Pictures of my children?

A temporary holder for files I'm processing?

Exercising my mouse pointer 'cos I don't want it getting fat?

Filling up the empty space on my monitor, so it doesn't collapse in on itself?

Um ....

Herbie

• User profile image
    Angus

Dr Herbie wrote:

Pictures of my children?

This always perplexes me. Why do people have images as dekstop backgrounds (as opposed to something plain [while technically an image, is not the type of image I refer to])?

I generally do not see my background all that much, and I have an image viewer to look at images, why do I need an image plastered on my desktop?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Massif

W3bbo wrote:

True Launch Bar trumps Launchy.

What madness is this? They're ever so slightly different things as far as I can tell. Launchy's good for opening stuff without ever touching the mouse, True Launch Bar looks like it requires the mouse and is just a replacement for quicklaunch.

Also, WindowsKey + <Number> is useful for launching from the quicklaunch bar.

To re-create my desktop you will need the following:

The standard "orange flower" image.
    "My computer", "User" and "Recycle Bin" icons on the desktop
    The Ctrl Key, and a mouse wheel, which you use to make your icons really big, but not quite as big as maximum.

That is all.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Angus wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Pictures of my children?

This always perplexes me. Why do people have images as dekstop backgrounds?

I generally do not see my background all that much, and I have an image viewer to look at images, why do I need an image plastered on my desktop?

Angus Higgins

I never used to, until I had kids.  Hormones are funny things ...

I find it quite nice that on the rare occasions that I do see my desktop, I have a randomised picture to see (I use Microsoft Wallpaper changer to change it every 30 minutes or so).

Herbie

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Oops... that was meant to be an edit... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Tom Servo wrote:
    The second line.

A more sensible idea would be to replace desktop/start menu with something like Launchy, in the centre of the screen, and nothing else.

• User profile image
    Flashbak

I don't change my desktop wallpaper all that often, when I've found one that a) spans 3840x1200 without distortion and b) has or can be corrected to have an appropriate tonal range, I tend to stick with it.

I'm not sure some brightly coloured backdrop does ones eyes any good poking out from behind and around windows on the desktop - certainly when I'm staring at a screen for many (too many!) hours a day exceptional contrast is what I don't want.

I remember the last time I changed icons, cursors etc, it was when I first installed Windows 95.  I think all that eye candy is something I've just grown out of...

... gazes at OS X desktop (or maybe I just get eye candy fix elsewhere these days!!) 

• User profile image
    Island Dog

I change mine quite often, depending on what I'm doing during the week.  This is the WindowBlinds 6 beta.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.