Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Fixing up some perf issues

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sampy

I'm doing a little database sluthing now to help out with some misbehaving queries.

As I type this, I'm adding an index. Let's see how C9 handles while I'm doing that Smiley

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Kaboom!

• User profile image
    Sampy

My fix is related to search so it appears that's the only thing that doesn't work.

Go CREATE INDEX, go! (The table in question has 21 million rows and the query was doing a full table scan)

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Search seems faster, that it does. Smiley

• User profile image
    Sampy

I know that user searching should be faster but I don't know about other kinds of searches. I've got a table with the results of a trace that Orcsweb did for us and I'm sorting it by Duration and going down the list.

I'll blog all the details on this later. SQL optimization is a strange kind of fun.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sampy wrote:
    My fix is related to search so it appears that's the only thing that doesn't work.

Go CREATE INDEX, go! (The table in question has 21 million rows and the query was doing a full table scan)

21 million rows... that would be the table holding information about who read what thread, right?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have only 6030 posts. I thought it were more...

Btw. nice to have search back and working Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Now what about creating a search provider for Channel 9 and embeding it into the website's header? Should be done in 10 minutes and would be nice to have Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru wrote:

Btw. nice to have search back and working

My postcount can beat up your postcount:

Woo!

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Btw. nice to have search back and working

My postcount can beat up your postcount:

Woo!

There are a lot beating me Tongue Out But your post count is extraordinaire high.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

So, that means I'm not a C9 geek like the two of you. Tongue Out 

• User profile image
    Sampy

It's a table called SearchBarrel.

The ghost of Community Server still haunts these servers...

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

At 230 posts (including this one) I'm not exactly a frequent poster. Or something.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sampy wrote:
    It's a table called SearchBarrel.

The ghost of Community Server still haunts these servers...

Elaborate

• User profile image
    littleguru

CyberGeek wrote:
    At 230 posts (including this one) I'm not exactly a frequent poster. Or something.

you can have 20,000 posts of bs or 200 very good one. What is better? Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

7005 posts of high quality content! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Get a proper job, you bunch of layabouts!  Wink

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru wrote:

CyberGeek wrote:

you can have 20,000 posts of bs or 200 very good one. What is better?

Let's make a quick comparison:

There's Mike Dimmick with few posts, but they're all +5 and make us want his babies.

Then there's my posts, loads of 'em, but mostly cynical bashings of whatever anyone else is posting.

But 3 years down the time and how many people know me than they know Mike?

It proves that fame is not necessarily a function of your intrinstic qualities, but how much you spam. Previous examples include Britney Spears, System of a Down, and Paris Hilton.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.