Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Good C# Book

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    thumbtacks2

Hi...what would you recommend as a good, all-purpose C# book? I have a fair amount of C/C++/Win32 experience already and I would like a book that doesn't strictly limit itself to console-type applications.

I need to build some extra tools that may involve GDI+ and WinForms (for personal use). :O

• User profile image
    PaoloM

By definition, a book on C# is limited to be a showcase for the language characterists. These characteristics can be exposed via simple programs, usually console samples.

If you need something other than that, then you want a Winfoms book. Or an ASP.NET book. Or a WPF book. etc etc

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

PaoloM wrote:
    By definition, a book on C# is limited to be a showcase for the language characterists. These characteristics can be exposed via simple programs, usually console samples.
    I noticed that before...hence my post. So I suppose a Winforms book might be better, then? Preferably one where they actually have a visual of the forms they create might be nice, too.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

You want this.

• User profile image
    raymond
  • User profile image
    Kayler

C# Primer Plus.  It's an older book, but I found it great for picking up C#.  I find it best to teach you the language and not an interface like Visual Studio for coding.

• User profile image
    Be#

I absolutely recommend Andrew Troelsen's Pro C# with .NET 3.0 - the best book on C# I ever read (and I "tried" a lot...). The book, however, covers the language and all of its advanced constructs in-depth, it does not focus on building WinForms apps, though it also covers WinForms.

For WinForms I found Erik Brown's Windows Forms Programming with C# VERY helpful. This one takes you through building an entire ap with Visual Studio step-by-step.

• User profile image
    Adam360

I definitely recommend Andrew Troelsen's Pro C# with .NET 3.0 as stated above (I think there may be a new version coming out for the 3.5 framework soon). It is a great book and ALOT better than most of the other ones I have read out there!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.