Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PCI-e 16x to PCI-e 1x converter!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

this thing just come out and it's pratically an adapter that converts a PCI-e 16x card's connector to PCI-e 1x (PCI-e 1x is just slighty slower than AGP 2x). pretty useful if you want to use multiple videocards in your system. I wonder when they'll start selling it worldwide.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Who'se to say a PCI-Ex 16x card will work in a PCI-Ex 1x slot?

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

W3bbo wrote:
    Who'se to say a PCI-Ex 16x card will work in a PCI-Ex 1x slot?

I don't know however that site has also benchmarks with a lot of different videocards connected through the adapter so I suppose a decent number of them works.

• User profile image
    cheong

But... PCI-e 16x have lots more pins than PCI-e 1x version. Even if considering some of them are just ground pins, the number just doesn't make sense unless it pass the data/control in multipass session, then in the OS they use a special driver to recreate the origional data... however even if it's successful to work this way, the performance is in doubt...

Or, did they just instruct the card to pass data through the SLI bridge to the other card, so this adapter just provide the functionality of drawing power from the motherboard?

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    RichardRudek

I don't have actual (real world) experience with designing for the PCI-Express, nor access to the specifications, themselves, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. But according to their freely available [PCI Express Whitepaper], page 5:

During initialization, each PCI Express link is set
    up following a negotiation of lane widths and
    frequency of operation by the two agents at
    each end of the link. No firmware or operating
    system software is involved.
    Now this probably doesn't gel until you understand that PCI-e is actually a serial bus, and you can combine/aggregate each of these separate serial busses (lanes) together  - the easiest intro probably being [About PCI Express], which also has the link to the above mentioned White Paper.

So, with all that in mind, how does this convertor stack up ?

Well, it is of limited value, because there will be some PCI-e x16 cards that do not have the additional (aux) power connectors on them, and from what I can see from the (low resolution) photo, is that they do not provide such a connector on the convertor. Without that, these "Entry-Level" PCI-e x16 cards won't be able to get enough power to work properly.

Can someone confirm (from their description - Chinese ?) that it doesn't have an addition power connector(s).

Then there is the issue of mounting the now taller card into the chasis.

• User profile image
    cheong

RichardRudek wrote:

Can someone confirm (from their description - Chinese ?) that it doesn't have an addition power connector(s).

Then there is the issue of mounting the now taller card into the chasis.

That page is actually in Japanese, so maybe Sven can help.

However, at their performance page it seems there's the power problem you predict on some samples. (i.e.: 電源供給がつらそうかも)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

cheong wrote:
    But... PCI-e 16x have lots more pins than PCI-e 1x version. Even if considering some of them are just ground pins, the number just doesn't make sense unless it pass the data/control in multipass session, then in the OS they use a special driver to recreate the origional data... however even if it's successful to work this way, the performance is in doubt...

Or, did they just instruct the card to pass data through the SLI bridge to the other card, so this adapter just provide the functionality of drawing power from the motherboard?

PCI express is a serial bus, meaning that all those extra pins are just extra busses to pass data along. (Which is why PCIe x16 has pretty much 16 times the pin count as standard PCIe.

Which, when combined with what RichardRudek said should make it clear how it'll work. The card should succesfully negotiate with the chipset that a single bus is available and from then on operate at PCIe x1.

Incidentally I imagine this is how the original SLI chipsets worked, as they didn't have a full 16 busses available per card, when operating in SLI mode they'd cut each card down to PCIe x8. Newer chipsets have more PCIe busses available though...

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I'm quite intreasted in this, I need a way to support more monitors under vista (only needed for desktop, not games) so this might help if I don't have enough PCI-e.16 slots.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

The PCIe specs require the devices to be able to negotiate a lower amount of lanes. A lot of SLI boards switch between 8 and 16 lanes, based on whether you have one or two graphics cards.

All you need is a plier to open one end of your PCIe 1x slot.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.