Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Closed caption for deafs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MaxTec

Hi people,

Just an important note about videos and screencasts on this great site, as i'm deaf i have many difficult trying to understand what people say on screencasts and, worst even, on videos.
    It is a great idea putting captions on videos, this makes deaf community  on entire world to access information present on this site.
    I hope this post and comment can make some diference and to sensetize for this important subject.

Thanks to all.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Hmm, that's true. 
    How about the first closed caption video is on the technology used to add closed captions to video?
    I have no idea how this would be done and would be interested to see.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Bas

I think this is a great idea. I wonder how that could be implemented.. a second video layer generated from text and timecode data?

• User profile image
    MaxTec

I think that can be programmed a little program that reads WMV files and them at some time length it reads a transcript with a specific time to display and so on.
    This is just what i think but can exist another better way to do this.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

MaxTec wrote:
    I think that can be programmed a little program that reads WMV files and them at some time length it reads a transcript with a specific time to display and so on.
    This is just what i think but can exist another better way to do this.

Such a system already exists in Windows Media Player (an ASX file can reference a text file constructed more or less as you described that provides closed caption data).  The only issue is time and resources--the C9 team hasn't had the resources to get this done.

See http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=163776#163776

• User profile image
    MaxTec

Thats true about time and resources, but not true that an big enterprise as Microsoft don't have money to hire more people and resources to make their products more accessible.
    This kind of "forgetting" happens because normal people don't think about the minority people who have special needs. People just make something about this kind of problems when happens to them or are related to that problem via a familiar people for example.
    Apart this i believe Microsoft will make something about this soon.

• User profile image
    Minh

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

Such a system already exists in Windows Media Player (an ASX file can reference a text file constructed more or less as you described that provides closed caption data).  The only issue is time and resources--the C9 team hasn't had the resources to get this done.

See http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=163776#163776

That's interesting. But I think targeting a specific player isn't in vogue anymore. Do you have info on a more universal method? Or perhaps a video plugin to "bake" the caption into the videos?

PS. I had an idea a while back for a distributed transcripting tool. Say... something similar the the Mechanical Turks -- but specific to media. I had in mind a "What was that?" button, that would back up 3 seconds.

And when you're paused and you hit "Continue", it'd automatically back up 3 seconds & play from there. I think that would help w/ continuity.

Also, a video can be choped up to 60 1-minute segments, so that people can preserve their works and the whole process will be more accessible & not intimidate people wanting to help.

There you go. Now, someone go implement this! Pronto!

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

If Windows can understand what people are saying into a microphone and translate that into text, shouldn't it be possible for somebody to utilize that and run a video through an app that automagically changes whatever is said into text? It shouldn't have to be on the fly, but it would be

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

nvm

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

nvm

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

nvm

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

nvm

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

nvm

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    If Windows can understand what people are saying into a microphone and translate that into text, shouldn't it be possible for somebody to utilize that and run a video through an app that automagically changes whatever is said into text?
    I tried this w/ Vista speech recognition & Dragon Naturally Speaking, but neither product is fast enough to do this. We're still 5 years away.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

sorry about that. it messed up -.-

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Minh wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    If Windows can understand what people are saying into a microphone and translate that into text, shouldn't it be possible for somebody to utilize that and run a video through an app that automagically changes whatever is said into text?
    I tried this w/ Vista speech recognition & Dragon Naturally Speaking, but neither product is fast enough to do this. We're still 5 years away.

It wouldn't have to be On the fly. Why not just run the video through it while you're doing something else? It'd take 5 minutes to set up - hell, even the C9 team could do it, set it up quickly on a spare pc, then continue doing whatever.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

It wouldn't have to be On the fly. Why not just run the video through it while you're doing something else? It'd take 5 minutes to set up - hell, even the C9 team could do it, set it up quickly on a spare pc, then continue doing whatever.

That's what I did. Ran a video through the speech system. By "fast enough" means that those apps don't have the processing power to transcribe the way you & I talk. To get those apps to work well, you... really... have... to... speak... like... this...

And can you imagine trying to transcribe Pablo Castro? Smiley

Automated methods are not ready yet, I'm afraid.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Minh wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Probably there would be far too many errors if they did it this way becuase of conditions in which these movies are made. Nobody speaks clearly, there's also noise, etc - it's not microphone in front of your mouth.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.