Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rory vs. Fake Steve Jobs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Massif

Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't see any old thread hanging around.

Fake Steve picked up on a post by Rory, and went off in typical Fake Steve fashion. (Also, nice use of 'tard as a suffix Fake Steve, couldn't think of anything better?) Rory replies, comments are ignorant / intolerant / generally argumentative, internet life continues as per normal.

But I thought it was funny to see two separate parts of my internet reading collide. Kinda like realising someone you know from work is related to one of your in-laws.

• User profile image
    Wells

Heh, I had the same reaction. Also check out the followup post:

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2007/08/stunning-post-from-microsoftie.html

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Why does fakesteve keep calling Rory a Coder?  I'm not going to doubt Rory's chops, but I don't think he's a "Coder" at this point.  It's kind of amazing that there is such a lack of investigation on the part of fakesteve.  5 minutes spend on the Napoleon site would have clued him in to the fact that it was Rory who responded. 

This is nothing more than a "Wow, real people work at MSFT" situation.  The idea that fakesteve is suprised means that fakesteve is a bit naive.

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

Anyone notice that Chris (aka Beer28) just posted some spam on that first blog post...

"BeerCo Software uses Mac OSX Tiger, please check out the video on our home page for proof.

http://www.beercosoftware.com

Also check out the BCS Blog!"

Mad

• User profile image
    blowdart

What beer has abandoned linux? Hahaha

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

blowdart wrote:
    What beer has abandoned linux? Hahaha

Wow! He really seems to read Channel 9. He changed the video on his website to something that is way better now Smiley

• User profile image
    Rory

Massif wrote:
    Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't see any old thread hanging around.

Fake Steve picked up on a post by Rory, and went off in typical Fake Steve fashion. (Also, nice use of 'tard as a suffix Fake Steve, couldn't think of anything better?) Rory replies, comments are ignorant / intolerant / generally argumentative, internet life continues as per normal.

But I thought it was funny to see two separate parts of my internet reading collide. Kinda like realising someone you know from work is related to one of your in-laws.

Yesterday was weird. It's been a long time since some Big Tech Blogger linked to me, and I remember now why it used to stress me out so much.

Not Steve eventually came around and said some nice things - I appreciated that - but I was irritated with the comments. People are so quick to get into a fight.

Maybe I've turned into a sort of cyberhippie, but I don't want to be a part of any more arguments where I waste valuable life arguing about the number of buttons a mouse should have, or whatever.

The thing that scares me is that some of the people who wound up at my site said they were going to stay. I think I've spent the better part of a year trying to move my site away from regular tech and into constant silliness. I'm trying to fix this right now with a post I wrote in which I basically said, "Thanks for stopping by, but..."

Never thought I'd want *less* readers.

But I think you know what I'm talking about, Massif. There's a core group right now that's actually fun - not a bunch of fights. People even playing off each other with their comments. It's neat.

Also, I just got your Moo Cards Smiley

Thanks, yo. Seriously. I'm horribly disorganized, and I've always wanted cards that were just for Rory and Neopoleon. They even have that Photoshopping of my photo that you did.

I've already been asked for a couple. Nifty Smiley

• User profile image
    Rory

ScanIAm wrote:
    Why does fakesteve keep calling Rory a Coder?  I'm not going to doubt Rory's chops, but I don't think he's a "Coder" at this point.  It's kind of amazing that there is such a lack of investigation on the part of fakesteve.  5 minutes spend on the Napoleon site would have clued him in to the fact that it was Rory who responded. 

This is nothing more than a "Wow, real people work at MSFT" situation.  The idea that fakesteve is suprised means that fakesteve is a bit naive.

I responded in regard to both issues - the coder thing, and also the what's-the-big-deal thing.

The coder mistake was irritating. Not that he made it - that doesn't bug me so much - but that some of his readers, thinking I was a coder, blamed me for every problem in Vista. It's my fault it didn't turn out perfectly! I should have just checked the source out, comment out a few lines, and then recompiled... DOY!

Then, there was the he's-so-brave thing. I don't think it's being brave. People only think that because Scoble always made it seem like he was working against the machine and that everything he was writing put him at risk. The truth is that, without being brutally honest with ourselves, how could anyone trust anything we say? Far from being brave, it's vital to maintaining credibility with our customers.

And me? My life hasn't changed at all. Except for all the angry Mac people on my site, and I'm hoping that's going to change right back.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rory wrote:
    People only think that because Scoble always made it seem like he was working against the machine and that everything he was writing put him at risk.

Which of course wasn't true at all. His ego, sorry his high profile made him untouchable. And yet people swallowed that lie. Annoying isn't it?

• User profile image
    Rory

Jon Monreal wrote:
    Anyone notice that Chris (aka Beer28) just posted some spam on that first blog post...

"BeerCo Software uses Mac OSX Tiger, please check out the video on our home page for proof.

http://www.beercosoftware.com

Also check out the BCS Blog!"

I saw that. There are two more comments from him under the other post. They're "anonymous," but his style is so clearly stamped like a boot in dogcrap over them that there's little question in my mind that he wrote 'em.

What I love about the quote here is the "for proof" bit.

What kind of a person is so paranoid that he doesn't even think others will believe that he's doing something bajillions of other people are doing? Do you guys expect me to provide proof that I'm running Windows right now? Or that I'll run OS X at home? Or that my phone is running Windows Mobile?

It's just nuts.

Furthermore, who cares? Is the question of whether or not Tiger is being used at beerco so important to the whole of the intarnets that he needed to post that?

Megalomania, paranoia, dishonesty, and stupidity.

Kind of ruins Hamlet's What a piece of work is a man... soliloquy.

• User profile image
    Minh

Is fake Steve writing new stuff? I mean, what's the point?

FS, should've gone down denying this identity, even after the end -- like Alberto Gonzalez still not remembering.

That way, readers could still have some plausible deniability, and we can still read him. But now.... what's the point?

• User profile image
    Rory

Minh wrote:
    Is fake Steve writing new stuff? I mean, what's the point?

FS, should've gone down denying this identity, even after the end -- like Alberto Gonzalez still not remembering.

That way, readers could still have some plausible deniability, and we can still read him. But now.... what's the point?

If I were keeping a parody website, and if it had the sponsorship of Forbes, I'd keep it going.

Have fun writing goofy stuff and get paid for it.

Not so bad.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rory wrote:

Yes - it's very annoying.

But he's been paying for it this week. You can't let your ego runaway if your intellect can't keep up, and he's been taking it in a painful way from people all over.

Really? I unsubscribed to him long before he left MS. After he came to the UK and had a geek dinner and it was 99% marketing people. That killed scoble for me.

Rory wrote:

The only reason I still write is that I love to write. Doesn't matter how many are reading or how brave they think I am. With or without them, I need a place to post my stupid comics because that's what gives me pleasure.

But not to email; I think I'm due two replies from you at the moment. Buhahahahaha.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rory wrote:
    The only reason I still write is that I love to write. Doesn't matter how many are reading or how brave they think I am. With or without them, I need a place to post my stupid comics because that's what gives me pleasure.

Keep the comics coming. I enjoy them. I started to read your blog when you came to Channel 9. I haven't heard of you before that... I know quite nobody in the industry. Anyway: keep your blog up and running! Is great.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Of course it's not only scoble that's blind to things; I'm sickened by the whole Blue Monster stuff. I just need to corner Steve one night in a bar and have it out with him.

• User profile image
    Rory

blowdart wrote:

Rory wrote:
    People only think that because Scoble always made it seem like he was working against the machine and that everything he was writing put him at risk.

Which of course wasn't true at all. His ego, sorry his high profile made him untouchable. And yet people swallowed that lie. Annoying isn't it?

But he's been paying for it this week. You can't let your ego runaway if your intellect can't keep up, and he's been taking it in a painful way from people all over.

I'd say it's too harsh for his video, but he's the one who had the hubris to set himself up as this luminary figure - so important that he can whip facts up out of thin air, post them for all to see, and get away with it.

More irritating than him, though, is his fanbase. I can't believe people haven't figured this guy out yet. His patterns are obvious.

One of his most common failed this time, but it goes like this:

1. Make huge claim without evidence (to say nothing of proof).

2. Get torn apart by viewers and readers.

3. Make a list of his most prominent detractors and post it, showing that he's "brave" and willing to "learn."

What went wrong this time (or what went right) is that item #3 didn't get him out of the hole he dug for himself.

Typically, though, he's get all the "You're so brave for posting unhappy things that other people said about you," and then all would be fine.

Are people really unable to see that he does this over and over? And that there's nothing brave about it at all, but rather that if he didn't do it, he'd be even more screwed? It's a defensive action - not some let's-look-to-the-future-together-as-we-advance-in-the-glow-of-our-recent-learning-experience thing.

There's so much self importance out there. It's left me with a strong distaste for blogging.

So, yeah - I'm right there with you, Blowdart.

• User profile image
    Rory

blowdart wrote:

Rory wrote:

Really? I unsubscribed to him long before he left MS. After he came to the UK and had a geek dinner and it was 99% marketing people. That killed scoble for me.

I haven't had his feed since 2004 sometime. I don't much care for him.

Also, I accidentally called you "Raymond" in the last post. Apologies. I started feeling like crap about an hour ago, and I'm just not thinking all that well.

About UK dinner things - I wish I could go back. All these people I'd been wanting to meet were sitting right across from and next to me.

blowdart wrote:

Rory wrote:

But not to email; I think I'm due two replies from you at the moment. Buhahahahaha.

You mean there're two emails you've sent me and to which I haven't responded? If that's the case, I apologize - I can't tell if my spam folder is my inbox or the other way around with the way messages disappear.

If you send again, I'll keep an eye out.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.