Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Visual Studio 2008 RTM before november 5th

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Klaus Enevoldsen

Microsoft will be giving away copies of Visual Studio 2008 RTM on DevConnections in Las Vegas which starts on november 5th.

I read somewhere that many of the teams are already at zero bugs bounce and that they are arming the war room and the ship room soon. Cool. I wonder if there will be any releases before RC?

A September 2007 CTP would be great!

• W3bbo

They had a give-away at the Visual Studio 2005 launch event, will there be anything similar for 2008?

Everyone loves freebies Smiley

• Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:
    They had a give-away at the Visual Studio 2005 launch event, will there be anything similar for 2008?

Everyone loves freebies

We want a launch event!  We want freebies!
    (It's how I got my current VS2005) Wink

Hebrie

• Lloyd_Humph

I hope they launch it in Wales somewhere. North Wales. Listening!??

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • Dr Herbie

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Last time was Birmingham and (I think) London.  It was definitely worth taking a day off from work and the 2 hour drive to get there. Interesting lectures and free software.

Herbie

• Lloyd_Humph

Dr Herbie wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Last time was Birmingham and (I think) London.  It was definitely worth taking a day off from work and the 2 hour drive to get there. Interesting lectures and free software.

Herbie

Well, I'll see if I can get there... X fingers Big Smile

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • eagle

I should be back at DevConnections, but no one can say if Visual Studio 2008 will RTM by then, they may hand out beta 2 and an IOU certificate for the final product.

Last year Windows Vista RTM-ed on the third day of DevConnections, but it happened on the Windows Vista Team blog and not at the conference.

There will be launch events around the world for Windows Server 2008, SQL Server '08 and VS '08 after the big launch in LA.

• wkempf

Klaus Enevoldsen wrote:
    Microsoft will be giving away copies of Visual Studio 2008 RTM on DevConnections in Las Vegas which starts on november 5th.

I read somewhere that many of the teams are already at zero bugs bounce and that they are arming the war room and the ship room soon. Cool. I wonder if there will be any releases before RC?

A September 2007 CTP would be great!

I'd love another release as well.  B2 has been pretty great, but there's a few remaining bugs that are annoying me to no end.  Specifically, I often end up with a designer that doesn't paint correctly.  Makes it pretty difficult to use.

• Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

yman wrote:

wkempf wrote:
    Specifically, I often end up with a designer that doesn't paint correctly.  Makes it pretty difficult to use.

Oh, me too! Have you had the paint issues with dockable Windows like Solution Explorer? I normally have to drag the Window around for it to redraw properly. This isn't just in beta 2, I experience it in 2005.

me too, I always have this problem when returning from an application debug instance.

• wkempf

I'm not sure they are related bugs.  For me, it's the contents of the designer (i.e. the windows and controls I'm designing, as well as the new "zoom widget"), not the designer itself that fails to refresh.  It also is not tied to debugging my application.  It happens most often when I build my project and the designer has to reload because referenced assemblies have changed.  Though it happens randomly at other times as well.

• bitdisaster

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

yman wrote:

wkempf wrote:
    Specifically, I often end up with a designer that doesn't paint correctly.  Makes it pretty difficult to use.

Oh, me too! Have you had the paint issues with dockable Windows like Solution Explorer? I normally have to drag the Window around for it to redraw properly. This isn't just in beta 2, I experience it in 2005.

me too, I always have this problem when returning from an application debug instance.

The same here with VS2005 on Vista. [C]

• Jug

Hmm, OK, that date is now here!

I for one am interested in any news of RTM's on MSDN. Smiley

I guess it's still too early to ask for those, but I'd be interested in any news on this topic.

• ZippyV

Keep watching the blogs of the vs people (and this site Wink )

• mawcc

I really hope that we get to know more today. At least a timeframe for RTM availablility for MSDN subscribers.

I'm a little bit annoyed that such a big secret is made of the estimated RTM date of VS 2008, even though a lot of people currently using Beta 2 would benefit from beeing able to plan their switch to RTM accordingly. Requests for more details on Scott Guthrie's blog have been left unanswered so far.

• blowdart

mawcc wrote:
    I really hope that we get to know more today. At least a timeframe for RTM availablility for MSDN subscribers.

I'm a little bit annoyed that such a big secret is made of the estimated RTM date of VS 2008, even though a lot of people currently using Beta 2 would benefit from beeing able to plan their switch to RTM accordingly. Requests for more details on Scott Guthrie's blog have been left unanswered so far.

No RTM at TechEd. End of the month quoted for MSDN

• Klaus Enevoldsen

mawcc wrote:

I am crossing fingers for a release very soon. I have tried to get Scott Guthrie to tell us all when it is released, but so far no answer... Embarassed[C] Scott is usually a good source of these release dates.

Microsoft has DevConnections this week, next week there is the TechEd in Barcelona and the 13th there is an event with VS2008 in Denmark where I live.

• Colin Angus Mackay

Klaus Enevoldsen wrote:
    Microsoft has DevConnections this week, next week there is the TechEd in Barcelona and the 13th there is an event with VS2008 in Denmark where I live.

TechEd Developers is this week. TechEd IT Pro is next week. I'd imagine that VS would be at the developer version of TechEd rather than the IT Pro

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.