Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista SP1

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

By now everyone who's anyone has heard the news.  I am concerned, however, about two performance issues that have to go away before I'll make it my primary OS:
     - Audio in legacy games.  When I tried to run Diablo II on Vista RTM, the audio was so choppy it was unplayable.
     - With Aero Glass enabled, I've noticed UI choppiness in Explorere even when the machine is idle.

Can anyone tell me if these two nagging issues have been fixed? Oh, and kudos to Larry for jumping into that audio/network 10k frame bug with so much enthusiasm.

• User profile image
    mstefan

With respect to the audio issue, let me guess... you're using a Creative audio card (Audigy, etc.)? If that's the case, my own personal experience is that your only option is new hardware. Their drivers are hopelessly borked, and I'm not sure that they even have them out of beta at this point.

• User profile image
    androidi

Choppiness doing nothing with Glass? First try removing the Audigy drivers and the card itself to see if that helps, then look at the graphics card.

The audio in Vista seems more glitch prone than in XP when there's some drivers behaving bad, probably something to do with the audio now being in user mode since the issues go away with a kernel mode driver. (This is without any network traffic)

• User profile image
    Refrax

what would be a good kickass audio card? been thinking of getting a new sound card.

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

I had the same problem with choppiness.  However, it was due to the graphics card drivers (in this case, ATI's Radeon drivers).  Using them would peg 1 core to 100% for some reason; I checked it without installing the ATI drivers and just using the standard VGA drivers from Microsoft, and there was no problem.  Looking in Process Explorer (from SysInternals) showed that the system was busy handling interrupts exclusively on one core at 100%.  Again, it didn't happen before I installed the ATI drivers.

Another thing I did was to disable SuperFetch.  That helped to a lesser extent, but the interrupts problem is still there.

However, having a quad-core machine, you'd think processes would use other cores, but that's not the case with this setup.  Everything still jumps onto the first core, and winamp will stutter (audio driver related?) when playing music and copying files from drive to drive (neither of which contain either the winamp executable or the media being played).  On my dual AMD box however, I never had any of these issues, regarding interrupts or stuttering, and that was an older dual proc Athlon MP 2400.  I essentially switched hardware, replacing only the motherboard, CPU and ram, and keeping everything else (harddrives, video, additional IDE card).  Makes me wonder if AMDs SMP implementation is better than Intels.

• User profile image
    BrightNCalm

All my USB Devices have been messed up ....!  I am yet to see a resolution ..... for that ....!  Hopefully Vista SP1 brings in some fixes ....!

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Actually, it's a generic Intel AC97. I've heard audio from the $300 packages on $500 speakers and couldn't tell a difference.  So I stick with the cheap stuff that doesn't take up an extra slot.

julianbenjamin wrote:
    I had the same problem with choppiness.  However, it was due to the graphics card drivers (in this case, ATI's Radeon drivers).  Using them would peg 1 core to 100% for some reason; I checked it without installing the ATI drivers and just using the standard VGA drivers from Microsoft, and there was no problem.  Looking in Process Explorer (from SysInternals) showed that the system was busy handling interrupts exclusively on one core at 100%.  Again, it didn't happen before I installed the ATI drivers.

Another thing I did was to disable SuperFetch.  That helped to a lesser extent, but the interrupts problem is still there.

However, having a quad-core machine, you'd think processes would use other cores, but that's not the case with this setup.  Everything still jumps onto the first core, and winamp will stutter (audio driver related?) when playing music and copying files from drive to drive (neither of which contain either the winamp executable or the media being played).  On my dual AMD box however, I never had any of these issues, regarding interrupts or stuttering, and that was an older dual proc Athlon MP 2400.  I essentially switched hardware, replacing only the motherboard, CPU and ram, and keeping everything else (harddrives, video, additional IDE card).  Makes me wonder if AMDs SMP implementation is better than Intels.

Intriguing.  My machine does have three Radeons, and I believe they're all WDDM: Radeons 9250, 9550, and X1650.  At the time I believe I had a 7500 instead of the 9250, and the 7500 was really old and non-WDDM.  I can see how that explains the Explorer choppiness (Despite the fact that Vista refused to enable my LDDM card), but I still don't understand how that could possibly affect the audio. I never noticed a CPU cap except during heavy crunching (obviously).

What bugs me more is that this doesn't occur on XP.   One of the first things I do after installing an OS is to disable all the bloatware and nagware they install with it (Superfetch, Messenger, Security Center, Automatic Updates, Themes, etc).  Though I'll probably leave Themes on for Vista -- I just disable it on XP because Luna is ugly. Aero is a little nicer, and glass is nice.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

BrightNCalm wrote:
    All my USB Devices have been messed up ....!  I am yet to see a resolution ..... for that ....!  Hopefully Vista SP1 brings in some fixes ....!

Maybe ....! If you could give ...! us some more info ....! We could figure out ....! What's going on ...!

• User profile image
    ixdatul

PaoloM wrote:

BrightNCalm wrote:

Maybe ....! If you could give ...! us some more info ....! We could figure out ....! What's going on ...!

Bill_Shat wrote:

Oh....oh no...no...no...I'm a rock...it....man...
    ROCKETMAN! Burnin' out his fuse....up here....ALONE!

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

SlackmasterK wrote:

Intriguing.  My machine does have three Radeons, and I believe they're all WDDM: Radeons 9250, 9550, and X1650.  At the time I believe I had a 7500 instead of the 9250, and the 7500 was really old and non-WDDM.  I can see how that explains the Explorer choppiness (Despite the fact that Vista refused to enable my LDDM card), but I still don't understand how that could possibly affect the audio. I never noticed a CPU cap except during heavy crunching (obviously).

What bugs me more is that this doesn't occur on XP.   One of the first things I do after installing an OS is to disable all the bloatware and nagware they install with it (Superfetch, Messenger, Security Center, Automatic Updates, Themes, etc).  Though I'll probably leave Themes on for Vista -- I just disable it on XP because Luna is ugly. Aero is a little nicer, and glass is nice.

I tried it on XP too, and everything was fine; no excessive use or anything.  I have a Radeon X1950, latest ATI driver.  It's just strange.  I disabled Aero, went back to standard, and I still got the problems.

Mine's also a built-in sound card; I had a Audigy 2 Platinum, but with Vista, it just blows.  And Creative in general blows; charging users a fee to enable EAX on Vista, when we had it enabled on XP already; and only for pre-XFi cards.  Someone should sue them for monopolistic practices, because this is essentially backing us into a corner, after we spend close to $400 for a Platinum card.

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

julianbenjamin wrote:

SlackmasterK wrote:

I tried it on XP too, and everything was fine; no excessive use or anything.  I have a Radeon X1950, latest ATI driver.  It's just strange.  I disabled Aero, went back to standard, and I still got the problems.

Mine's also a built-in sound card; I had a Audigy 2 Platinum, but with Vista, it just blows.  And Creative in general blows; charging users a fee to enable EAX on Vista, when we had it enabled on XP already; and only for pre-XFi cards.  Someone should sue them for monopolistic practices, because this is essentially backing us into a corner, after we spend close to $400 for a Platinum card.

I wouldn't say that's monopolisitic, but it does sound incredibly stupid. Do you think they might be doing it to prevent people from buying older cards for less even though they are of high quality and then using them on Vista?

It seems incredibly stupid to me. If users have already bought the card and get EAX on XP, then there should be no reason they charge to enable it in Vista. That might just be worse than not supporting Vista at all and being apathetic.

• User profile image
    esoteric

I'm generally very happy with Vista. I have one issue of not being able to control the volume of my USB audio device through the mixer master (user) volume. It's a Trends Audio UD-10 USB DAC. It may well be that I've overlooked something trivial. The driver is Microsofts own USB audio device driver.

• User profile image
    BrightNCalm

The scenario I found is this.  I was using all my USB Devices working fine.  Once I had to work without the USB devices on my laptop, when I had to take it outside.  That started the problem.

Thereafter my mouse was not recognized.  Then, all my other USB drives went dead as well.  Once in a while I get the message from the system "USB Device Not Recognized".  On the device manager, all the USB root hubs show up. 

I tried some of the USB hotfixes, re-install of Vista (painstaking) - so far nothing has worked out for me...!

One thing that may be worth mentioning is, Creative Audigy Sound Card (PCI Express) alone is working!

It would be great if anyone could really tell me how to get it fixed.  I am working just with my laptop and internet.  My external hard disk, mouse, webcam are all out of access, because the USB Devices are not recognized.

Hoping for a solution ...!

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

BrightNCalm wrote:
    The scenario I found is this.  I was using all my USB Devices working fine.  Once I had to work without the USB devices on my laptop, when I had to take it outside.  That started the problem.

Thereafter my mouse was not recognized.  Then, all my other USB drives went dead as well.  Once in a while I get the message from the system "USB Device Not Recognized".  On the device manager, all the USB root hubs show up. 

I tried some of the USB hotfixes, re-install of Vista (painstaking) - so far nothing has worked out for me...!

One thing that may be worth mentioning is, Creative Audigy Sound Card (PCI Express) alone is working!

It would be great if anyone could really tell me how to get it fixed.  I am working just with my laptop and internet.  My external hard disk, mouse, webcam are all out of access, because the USB Devices are not recognized.

Hoping for a solution ...!

when you did re-install Vista did you do a clean install?

when do you get the "USB Device Not Recognized" error? when connecting an USB device or randomly when the devices are already connected?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

julianbenjamin wrote:
    I have a Radeon X1950, latest ATI driver.

So do I, no issues here.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

julianbenjamin wrote:

have you tried updating all the drivers for your system? if the integrated soundcard is realtek there are surely driver updates for it.

• User profile image
    BrightNCalm

I did a clean install, restarted the machine and then tried connecting my USB Devices .... none of them were recognized, even then! [They were not connected when the machine started]

I get the "USB Not Recognized" out of the blue .... and not when I am trying to connect the USB devices.  As of now, even that does not come ....!

I am in the process of ressurecting my machine.... to its good old state ... !

Any help would be really great ....!

• User profile image
    LaBomba

I don't know about you, but the loss of audio on an ancient game wouldn't concern me much when I'm thinking about releasing service packs.

Video choppiness...give 'em more credit than that, it's your drivers, not an OS bug.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.