Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Tell us about what you do for a living

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Hi Niners,

Please take the time to answer this poll. We'd like to know who's out there so we can tailor our content accordingly. It's a simple poll rather than a complicated survey. Quick and easy.

Thank you in advance for your time.
    C

• User profile image
    W3bbo

What!? No option for full-time slacker student?! You insensitive clod!

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:

But is being a student something that is earning a "living"?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    blowdart

Angus wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

But is being a student something that is earning a "living"?

No it's leaching Big Smile

• User profile image
    Charles

I had a Student option in the original pol, but I forgot to put it back in when I replaced options... So, if you are a full-time student, just select Other and clarify in the post. More work for yours truly, but I made the mistake... I know there are a lot of student Niners. Please identify yourselves!

C

• User profile image
    Angus

Charles wrote:

I had a Student option in the original pol, but I forgot to put it back in when I replaced options... So, if you are a full-time student, just select Other and clarify in the post. More work for yours truly, but I made the mistake... I know there are a lot of student Niners. Please identify yourselves!

C

If we do not do it "for a living" should we state student?

I am not a student for a "living" you see.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    rcardona

My card says I'm a foo() bartender.

• User profile image
    jamie

the premise worries me a tad...  tailor the content...

i think i like it untailored..

for example - the design votes are obviously going to be small... that does not = make a channel (x) for designers...  *although that would be a funny name.. Wink

9 works cause its suppose to be everything.. also - the beatles revolution 9 and plan 9 from outerspace - help the cool image

(there was a reason someone picked 9 out of the other numbers -gretsky fan? get smart fan?)

anyway - 9 is cool.  it should be everything (sum of all parts)
    im still wondering if diluting 9 brand with 10 and 8 was right way to go .. c9 Students forum? c9 enthusisasts(or whatever 10 is) forum?

* i picture some ..suit going.. "let's get granular with the data - drill down and mine usage scenarios that are inline with our demographic and financial targets better.. "

fire them.  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Charles

If you are a full-time student then you study for a living. That's fine.

Jamie, don't worry. There is no devious intent here. We just want to know who's out there!

C9 content will not change. We just cover more, not less...

C

• User profile image
    Charles

Come on, Niners. Only 57 responses? Where is everybody? Thank you very much to all who have responded!

Don't be shy! Even if you're a lurker, please take the poll.

Thank you!

C

• User profile image
    amotif

Charles wrote:

Come on, Niners. Only 57 responses? Where is everybody? Thank you very much to all who have responded!

Sorry, I tend to ignore the pinned topics. Some of them have been rather long-lived.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

More than one applied to me, but I picked the most relevant thing.  I might do IT 5% of the time, and I write everything from deep systems to client GUI apps.

• User profile image
    dahat

You really need a 'bumb' option, other just doesn't cut it.

• User profile image
    Jaz

aren't the students supposed to be going to channel8 Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles wrote:

Don't be shy! Even if you're a lurker, please take the poll.

I was like: WTF a poll I haven't answered. Cool I thought I had answered all. Usually I'm not paying attention to the poll box because there are so few...

• User profile image
    Flashbak

Charles, It'd be really useful to have a few more options, or possibly have the poll offer checkboxes rather than radio icons (do we still call them that, or am I showing my age?) so we could pick multiple answers. 

I imagine many who might want to enter ITPro, i.e. those working for small shops as "IT Manager" or "The IT Guy" want to pick :

• Helpdesk
    • Developer (Systems)
    • Exchange Admin
    • Active Directory Wrangler
    • Cleaner of dirty mouse balls
    • Cat 5e Cable knitter
    • Excel formula debugger
    • Developer (UI)
    • ... and anything else the clueless PHB who employs you thinks should be in your job description...

Not that I have any unresolved issues from when I used to be "the IT guy" or anything Wink

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

I'll respond here, since it's a sticky post and therefore more clicky than a poll.

Sr. Applications Developer for Verizon Business.  Perhaps you've heard of us Smiley

I create things most of you will never be able to see.  But I get the bucks; and deep down inside, that's what really counts.

I work mostly on websites; front-ends and code-behinds.  Basically everything between the user and SQL; my buddy handles things on the other side.

• User profile image
    ixdatul

SlackmasterK wrote:
    I'll respond here, since it's a sticky post and therefore more clicky than a poll.

Sr. Applications Developer for Verizon Business.  Perhaps you've heard of us

I create things most of you will never be able to see.  But I get the bucks; and deep down inside, that's what really counts.

That'd be me, I run the transaction level between our mainframes and mid-range SQL clusters. I think of it as the Dark Side.

Also write internal user-friendly applications for indirect interaction with SQL to limit the need for dev staff.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.