Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Black Screen Of Death? Thinkpad x61s, Vista Ultimate: UAC Broken for Domain User Accounts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rhett

Has anyone seen the following?  This is a brand new PC.  After joining the machine to a Windows 2003 domain, UAC prompts for domain user accounts turn the screen black and that's it.  You can use the left arrow key and guess that you're selecting the right button but you can't see a thing.  Local user accounts (even after having joined the domain) do not have this problem.

BTDT?

EDIT: figured out what's going on:
    Since Vista did away with the "log on using a dialup connection" check box, I was logging on as a local administrator, then establishing a VPN, then switching users to the domain account so that Group Policy would be applied on logon.  At this point I was logged on to two accounts.  It seems that the UAC prompt performs very badly under this scenario causing the screen to turn black, the mouse to stop functioning, etc.  It has nothing to do with domain accounts it seems, but rather just being logged on to two accounts at the same time as the problem manifests itself if you log on to the domain account first and then switch to the local account.

EDIT 2:
    I take that back--that is, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with being logged on as more than one user simultaneously.  The system just exhibited the problem again after a fresh boot and only one account logged in.  Further, at this point, the system was unable to launch any programs including task manager.  There are no events of consequence in any of the logs.

• User profile image
    Rhett

Yeah--it's a fully patched (via Windows Update and Lenovo Update) system.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Have you got the latest drivers? This was fairly common with early Nvidia WDDM drivers.

• User profile image
    adham

I'm having this same exact problem (black screen of death) on my new Dell Latitude D630 with an Nvidia 135m card.  Everything was running fine until I installed the Windows updates from last week.  Now at a random interval after booting (usually 3 to 5 minutes) the screen will turn completely black and the system becomes unresponsive (no mouse or taskmanager or anything).  If anyone has an answer please post it.

• User profile image
    CiscoKid

I too have a Dell Latitude D630 joined to a Windows 2003 R2 domain that has the black-screen of death issues after logging in.  The BSODs don't happen all the time and are completely random.  As explained by the other Dell Latitude D630, I have noticed that it happens more often if I wait at the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen for about 3-5 minutes prior to logging in...again not all the time but it happens more often if I wait before logging in.  I have read other forums that people believe that it is Microsoft's way of dealing with suspected piracy...aka "Reduced Functionality."  But I don't believe that this is the case because the laptop has been loaded with Vista Ultimate and no other systems use the same OEM Product Key and I would expect the BSODs to happen ALL the time not just randomly.  I have confirmed that my video drivers and all other system drivers are 100% up-to-date only to still experience the issue with the BSOD.  I will be contacting Dell support and later Microsoft support and start to have them acknowledge this as a problem.  I will keep you posted.

• User profile image
    jamie

off topic somewhat>
    when ever i cntrl/alt/del to get task manager - and the black screen thing happens - it does work but i hate it.  All three monitors go black one by one - then finally it comes up...tick tock...

i just want task manager immediately

is there a way to turn this stupid thing off?
    (i already have UAC off..)

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

jamie wrote:
    off topic somewhat>
    when ever i cntrl/alt/del to get task manager - and the black screen thing happens - it does work but i hate it.  All three monitors go black one by one - then finally it comes up...tick tock...

right click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager" from the menu or CTRL+Shift+ESC

• User profile image
    jamie

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

jamie wrote:
    off topic somewhat>

right click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager" from the menu or CTRL+Shift+ESC

ha... cool.   thanks

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.