Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google to attack Flight Sim?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

It's more like Encarta VirtualGlobe's overhyped "Virtual flights" feature.

It isn't a real flight-sim, not by a long stretch. Sure, it'll have basic flight physics simulated, but nowhere near the level of detail FS has, nor the fancy pixelshader effects for clouds and water and stuff

• User profile image
    littleguru

Google is doing everything and nothing. Look at their apps. Half done, all!

• User profile image
    Outlaw

i can't say i see this as being a true competitor to microsoft's flight simulator product.  future renditions might increase realism and add more planes, but i just don't see it happening.

ok, a minor conundrum with google earth itself.  why is mount fuji shown in what appears to be a state of eruption with lava flowing down its sides?  it hasn't erupted for 300 years.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

FS 10 is a great great simulator...what is a google beta app really gonna do to it? Perplexed

Edit: Btw, if you haven't seen the C9 vid about the making of FS10 you should go watch it, good behind the scenes look.

• User profile image
    littleguru

LaBomba wrote:
    FS 10 is a great great simulator...what is a google beta app really gonna do to it?

Edit: Btw, if you haven't seen the C9 vid about the making of FS10 you should go watch it, good behind the scenes look.

Google releases something that is beta and has two flight planes to select from and that is then a threat to Flight Sim - hah! Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I doubt they really intend this to be a fully functional flight sim with realistic physics.

I so hope we'll one day see integration of FS and Live Maps or something. Having FS use real aerial images for textures instead of the default terrain class textures would be very cool.

LaBomba wrote:

And on that note I recommend Phil Taylor's blog. That guy rocks when it comes to giving the inside scoop as to what's going on in FS-land.

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

This does seem like a rather half-baked feature. I wonder if this is meant to target the same market as Flight Simulator, or whether this is just meant for the casual user who uses Google Earth to have some fun in.

I find it interesting that they hid it. Perhaps its meant to be something like the flight simulator that could be found in old versions of Word, just a hidden easter egg. I just can't see why Google would hide it.

• User profile image
    esoteric

littleguru wrote:

That's a subjective POV, but sure, some app's are not as feature complete as one'd like.

Another thing I dispise is month- or year long betas.

But other than that, I have no issues with them. I give them eye-ball time, they hand me the universe...

LaBomba wrote:
    FS 10 is a great great simulator...what is a google beta app really gonna do to it?

Agreed. The headline does appear sensationalist.

• User profile image
    Koogle

I tried it out when I got the new google eath upgrade.. wasn't exactly a hidden feature..  it was right on the menu jeesh lol

anyway it was ok.. not FS, but a nice little reminder that FS probably should start building into it a way of pulling satellite imagery from live maps etc for a much better ground imagery...

dunno who has got the better head start in this.. MS with its FS engine for the better graphics or Google with its Google earth app, they could just build a better graphics engine and make Google earth FS game out of it

• User profile image
    littleguru

esoteric wrote:

littleguru wrote:

That's a subjective POV, but sure, some app's are not as feature complete as one'd like.

Another thing I dispise is month- or year long betas.

But other than that, I have no issues with them. I give them eye-ball time, they hand me the universe...

Well that's also why the normal people (sometimes even IT guys) no longer understand what the difference between a beta and the final is.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

littleguru wrote:

Glass house. Stones. This being a site with Microsoft fans and all.

• User profile image
    j0217995

Tom Servo wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Glass house. Stones. This being a site with Microsoft fans and all.

While I woudlnt' agree w/ littleguru on half-done all, I do agree w/ it seems google is trying to do everything in the world.  What is google's core value?  How does Gmail, Google Talk, Google Earth, Google Docs & Spreadsheets, Google Phone, etc all relate to the core value of google.

Now I belive the core value of google is advertising, I fail to see how Docs & Spreadsheets, Google Phone, Google Earth and Google Talk bring in advertising dollars.

Is there anything else I'm missing that google is trying to do?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Doesn't matter what Googles Core Value is, they'll make it whatever they want.

How does Google Docs, Gmail, etc have to do with advertising?

Increase users on their services and make them "inseperable" then add advertising and instantly add revenue to it. If advertising doesn't cut it, use Google Gears to take Google Docs offline and attack Microsoft Office, etc.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Cybermagellan wrote:

How does Google Docs, Gmail, etc have to do with advertising?

Data mining?

• User profile image
    littleguru

My statement didn't include that I'm a Microsoft fan at all! Microsoft has also a lot of half done apps... but wasn't it Google who did start with the very long open betas, where you could never know if that thing would ever go final?

And once for the records: I'm no Microsoft fan boy! If their tech sucks and doesn't do what I want to be done, I use another technology! There's a lot of MS technology that stinks too... I use the tool that I think fits best for my task - that's it.

What does me disliking the way how Google is hyping everything up to something that it isn't make a Microsoft fanboy? I want to see the connection there - I can't see one!

• User profile image
    GoddersUK
  • User profile image
    esoteric

Siyavash wrote:
    ps. I'm listening to a remix of Cybernoid-II ... not that anyone cares!

You are mistaken. Visit remix64.com/board.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.