Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SQLBits : A DDD for DB people

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Saturday Oct 6th sees the first SQL Community conference (SQLBits - (http://www.SQLBits.com), 20 sessions in 4 tracks (Business Intelligence, DBA, Development and Katmai) on a Saturday in Reading at a cost of £0. That’s right, nothing, nada, or in SQL terms IS NULL.

    To register for SQLBits: http://www.sqlbits.com/information/PublicSessions.aspx

    What: SQLBits
    When: Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    Where: Microsoft UK
    Thames Valley Park
    Reading, West Berkshire RG6 1WG
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    blowdart wrote:
    ...on a Saturday in Reading at a cost of £0. That’s right, nothing, nada, or in SQL terms IS NULL.


    No, the NULL in SQL implies it's undefined, viz it doesn't have a value. But it does, and that value is zero.

    So £0 is not equivalent to NULL.

    If Microsoft didn't publish the value of "£0.00" anywhere, then yes, it would be null. But it isn't, so in SQL terms it's "price money = 0.00"

    So nerrrrrrrrr

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    blowdart wrote:
    

    Saturday Oct 6th sees the first SQL Community conference (SQLBits - (http://www.SQLBits.com), 20 sessions in 4 tracks (Business Intelligence, DBA, Development and Katmai) on a Saturday in Reading at a cost of £0. That’s right, nothing, nada, or in SQL terms IS NULL.

    To register for SQLBits: http://www.sqlbits.com/information/PublicSessions.aspx

    What: SQLBits
    When: Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    Where: Microsoft UK
    Thames Valley Park
    Reading, West Berkshire RG6 1WG


    Zero is NOT equal to NULL

    that is a bad mistake to make in SQL

    NULL is not equal to any value 0,"",'' ....

    Sorry Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    borosen

    figuerres wrote:
    

    Zero is NOT equal to NULL

    that is a bad mistake to make in SQL

    NULL is not equal to any value 0,"",'' ....

    Sorry


    Unless we are talking about Oracle who for some reason thinks the empty string is NULL.

    Sorry, but I just can't get used to that.

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    ALTER TABLE `Database Solutions` MODIFY Price NOT NULL;

    problem solved Expressionless

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Ah but there is NO cost. A cost does not exist. So if was a cost table, then the cost is arguably NULL, as well as 0.

    So neerrrrr to all of you.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Ah but there IS a cost. The implicit cost of going. The cost of precious time you can't spend on laziness anymore, the cost of getting up early and losing precious sleep, the cost of transportation to the event and the risk of DYING on the way to the event. If I want to go to the event, I'd have to spend time planning my crossing the channel, I'd have to pay for 2 plane tickets or 2 boat tickets or 2 train tickets and let's not forget getting to the station/airport/boat...port? And with the threat of terrorist activity I'm risking my LIFE! Think of the stress that comes with this, shortening my life. So neerrrrr.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.