Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Internet Explorer launches Firefox?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

My computer's motherboard died a few months ago, so I replaced it witha new one and did a repair installation of Windows Media Center 2005 Edition. Since then, I have managed to iron out all of the quirks, but one, namely that Internet Explorer launches Firefox whenever I try to open Windows Update, use the address bar, open favorites or do anything that does not involve clicking hyperlinks on the MSN start page.

I tried doing a reinstallation of Internet Explorer 6 by changing a registry entry and then trying to run the Internet Explorer 6 SP2 setup in an attempt to make it think that Internet Explorer 6 was not installed. The setup said that my installed version of IE was newer than the one that it would install and refused to proceed. I also tried deleting a registry key following a recommendation made on the IE team blog, but that was for IE launching Firefox following a particular patch, so it did not work.

It has been a while since I have tried fixing Internet Explorer. I was originally planning to do a fresh installation of Windows on a new larger hard drive (to resolve a space problem Media Center has been having and solve all of the problems that come with using an old Windows installation with a new motherboard), but given that I have everything just how I like it (e.g. installed applications, their configurations, etcetera) and that Internet Explorer is the only problem left from the new motherboard installation, I would like to try to fix Internet Explorer and then ghost Windows over to the new hard drive. The only problem is that I am out of ideas. Does anyone here (especially those from the Internet Explorer team) have any ideas as to how to fix Internet Explorer 6 so it stops trying to open Firefox?

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    My computer's motherboard died a few months ago, so I replaced it witha new one and did a repair installation of Windows Media Center 2005 Edition. Since then, I have managed to iron out all of the quirks, but one, namely that Internet Explorer launches Firefox whenever I try to open Windows Update, use the address bar, open favorites or do anything that does not involve clicking hyperlinks on the MSN start page.

I tried doing a reinstallation of Internet Explorer 6 by changing a registry entry and then trying to run the Internet Explorer 6 SP2 setup in an attempt to make it think that Internet Explorer 6 was not installed. The setup said that my installed version of IE was newer than the one that it would install and refused to proceed. I also tried deleting a registry key following a recommendation made on the IE team blog, but that was for IE launching Firefox following a particular patch, so it did not work.

It has been a while since I have tried fixing Internet Explorer. I was originally planning to do a fresh installation of Windows on a new larger hard drive (to resolve a space problem Media Center has been having and solve all of the problems that come with using an old Windows installation with a new motherboard), but given that I have everything just how I like it (e.g. installed applications, their configurations, etcetera) and that Internet Explorer is the only problem left from the new motherboard installation, I would like to try to fix Internet Explorer and then ghost Windows over to the new hard drive. The only problem is that I am out of ideas. Does anyone here (especially those from the Internet Explorer team) have any ideas as to how to fix Internet Explorer 6 so it stops trying to open Firefox?

The easiest way to stop it might be upgrading to IE7. That is a truly bizarre issue at any rate. Is Firefox set as the default browser? Perhaps you could try completely uninstalling firefox, keeping your favorites and settings and then reinstalling it.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Jon Monreal wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:

The easiest way to stop it might be upgrading to IE7. That is a truly bizarre issue at any rate. Is Firefox set as the default browser? Perhaps you could try completely uninstalling firefox, keeping your favorites and settings and then reinstalling it.

Firefox is set as the default browser. Setting Internet Explorer as the default browser used to lead to an error regarding some handler. Now it does not seem possible to set Internet Explorer to the default browser, despite using the Set Program Access and Defaults application. I have tried removing everything that could be influencing Internet Explorer's behavior with HijackThis! and I have even disabled all of the add-ons that run when it starts. This behavior is extremely strange.

I am not a fan of IE7's interface, so I am trying to keep upgrading to it as a last resort. I guess I will have to try upgrading to it and then downgrading back to IE6.

• User profile image
    keeron

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I am not a fan of IE7's interface, so I am trying to keep upgrading to it as a last resort. I guess I will have to try upgrading to it and then downgrading back to IE6.

You can use IE7 and pretty much get a UI that was like IE6. There are options to turn off the tabbed browsing (this will remove the tabstrip). There's also an option to make the menu bar visible at all times. I can't find an option to hide the "toolbar", but it's pretty handy and you can control the text/pics/selected buttons w/ text, etc.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

keeron wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:

You can use IE7 and pretty much get a UI that was like IE6. There are options to turn off the tabbed browsing (this will remove the tabstrip). There's also an option to make the menu bar visible at all times. I can't find an option to hide the "toolbar", but it's pretty handy and you can control the text/pics/selected buttons w/ text, etc.

I actually like the tabs, but I do not like the lack of the menu bar and the fact that when adding it, it appears below the address bar (breaking Microsoft's own interface standards for Windows XP) and there is no way to fix it.

Anyway, I installed Internet Explorer 7 and everything works now. Since I figure that I will have future problems if I stay with Internet Explorer 6, as everything Microsoft does now revolves around Internet Explorer 7, I have decided to keep it and use it for Windows Update only, just like I had been using Internet Explorer 6.

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

Shining Arcanine wrote:

keeron wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I actually like the tabs, but I do not like the lack of the menu bar and the fact that when adding it, it appears below the address bar (breaking Microsoft's own interface standards for Windows XP) and there is no way to fix it.

Anyway, I installed Internet Explorer 7 and everything works now. Since I figure that I will have future problems if I stay with Internet Explorer 6, as everything Microsoft does now revolves around Internet Explorer 7, I have decided to keep it and use it for Windows Update only, just like I had been using Internet Explorer 6.

Microsoft released a plugin for Firefox so that you don't have to validate using IE anymore. You should be able to access Windows (and Microsoft) update from Firefox now.

All you have to do is visit http://update.microsoft.com in Firefox.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Jon Monreal wrote:

Umm no. They released a WGA checker, so you could download from microsoft.com (and half the time the plugin didn't install at all). But Windows/Microsoft update still needs IE.

• User profile image
    Jon Monreal

blowdart wrote:

Jon Monreal wrote:

Umm no. They released a WGA checker, so you could download from microsoft.com (and half the time the plugin didn't install at all). But Windows/Microsoft update still needs IE.

Yes you can. I just forgot to mention the part where you have to get IE Tab which allows you to open a tab in Firefox running the IE engine without needing to run Internet Explorer. Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.