Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Damnit WHS delayed again

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Or at least the HP version, to, errr, upgrade the user experience.

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:
    Or at least the HP version, to, errr, upgrade the user experience.

Well, if they want to delay to it squash bugs, then let them.

It's better than releasing something that could screw lose the family photo albums.

I've just noticed that the Inquirer has a link inviting you to 'flame the author'.  How desperate for hits are they?

• User profile image
    dahat

Ray6 wrote:

It's better than releasing something that could screw lose the family photo albums.

True in part... only it's been a whole bunch of delays really... at least in the states anyway.

WHS RTMed back in mid July and is already available (OEM copies) overseas... just not here yet and I’m getting rather impatient as my RC copy has some show stopping bugs that the RTM does not.

• User profile image
    Ray6

dahat wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

True in part... only it's been a whole bunch of delays really... at least in the states anyway.

WHS RTMed back in mid July and is already available (OEM copies) overseas... just not here yet and I’m getting rather impatient as my RC copy has some show stopping bugs that the RTM does not.

Fair enough, but I remain in favour of companies holding back releases until they are absolutely sure that they have it right. This thing will be managing PCs for folks who know nothing about being a sysadmin; even something as trivial as UI tweaks can make all the difference.

• User profile image
    blowdart

But I want one *now* damnit. NOW! And apparently it won't get here (the UK) till January.

Actually the Medion looks nicer than the HP box spec wise.

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:
    But I want one *now* damnit. NOW! And apparently it won't get here (the UK) till January.

Patience young padwan ... patience ....
    This is Microsoft's most interesting product release in years; they need to get it right. I'd like to give it a try, but I'm going to wait for the reports from the early adopters.

blowdart wrote:

Actually the Medion looks nicer than the HP box spec wise.

Certainly does. Lots of new interesting stuff in the area of power management; vital if you're expecting home users to keep a server running 24/7

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ray6 wrote:

Certainly does. Lots of new interesting stuff in the area of power management; vital if you're expecting home users to keep a server running 24/7

Oh well if it's low power / noise you want .... check out the Tranquil range.

I'm very tempted by this, if only it had two internal drives. The 1000Gb version is shipping with the new WD "Green" drives too (with the 500Gb drive to follow). Shame there's no ESATA ports.

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Oh well if it's low power / noise you want .... check out the Tranquil range.

I'm very tempted by this, if only it had two internal drives. The 1000Gb version is shipping with the new WD "Green" drives too (with the 500Gb drive to follow). Shame there's no ESATA ports.

Wow! ... Expressionless

Thanks for that; I'd never even heard of these people. 

That sounds like just the job

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ray6 wrote:

Wow! ...

Especially now it's with gigabit ethernet (the web site says it, the PDF hasn't been updated yet). Their blog is interesting, they have been having real fun doing a recovery system on a truely headless box, they ended up doing very clever things with a USB key.

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Wow! ...

Especially now it's with gigabit ethernet (the web site says it, the PDF hasn't been updated yet). Their blog is interesting, they have been having real fun doing a recovery system on a truely headless box, they ended up doing very clever things with a USB key.

Now that is clever ... :O

And they are going to ship this with their boxes too.

A nice standardised platform, that still offers enough room for the vendors to differentiate themselves. Good stuff

• User profile image
    Bas

Anyone know what the physical dimensions of that Medion box are? I want to get one of these things as soon as possible, but I'm wondering what each device's energy consumption is like.

blowdart wrote:

The fact that it only has one drive is the dealbreaker for me, really. What are they thinking?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas wrote:

The fact that it only has one drive is the dealbreaker for me, really. What are they thinking?

That's not so bad, remember the drive "mirroring" isn't RAID, you can use external drives. However I'd rather have seen ESATA than USB2 for that.

• User profile image
    Bas

blowdart wrote:

Bas wrote:

That's not so bad, remember the drive "mirroring" isn't RAID, you can use external drives. However I'd rather have seen ESATA than USB2 for that.

I know, but the way it is now, it does no mirroring at all out of the box. If Joe Public who knows nothing about data mirrorring or MTBF's buys this thing to keep his snapshots safe, he's going to be mighty pissed off when the drive fails and hears that he was supposed to buy an extra drive if he wanted his data to be protected. Which, incidentally, was exactly why he bought the thing in the first place.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas wrote:

I know, but the way it is now, it does no mirroring at all out of the box. If Joe Public who knows nothing about data mirrorring or MTBF's buys this thing to keep his snapshots safe, he's going to be mighty pissed off when the drive fails and hears that he was supposed to buy an extra drive if he wanted his data to be protected. Which, incidentally, was exactly why he bought the thing in the first place.

I don't know if the WHS setup enables duplication by default out of the box, I know I added a new disk and had to enable it manually.

• User profile image
    Bas

blowdart wrote:

I don't know if the WHS setup enables duplication by default out of the box, I know I added a new disk and had to enable it manually.

If one buys a pre-installed machine with two disks, it would make sense if it was already set up to enable duplication. Especially since they're marketing it as a device for non-technical users.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas wrote:

blowdart wrote:

If one buys a pre-installed machine with two disks, it would make sense if it was already set up to enable duplication. Especially since they're marketing it as a device for non-technical users.

True; or perhaps you'll get users complaining only half their space is available.

The Medion is interesting, it says it has hardware RAID.

• User profile image
    Bas

blowdart wrote:
    True; or perhaps you'll get users complaining only half their space is available.

The Medion is interesting, it says it has hardware RAID.

That's also true, yeah. I'm glad I don't have to market stuff like this.

Harware RAID, huh? I wonder how that works in conjunction with their magic mirroring technique. I kind of like the fact that I can just plug in any sort of drive and add it to the mirroring pool, I wonder why one would use hardware RAID instead.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas wrote:
    I wonder why one would use hardware RAID instead.

The same as any server. Mirror the OS drive.

Then use the slotted in drives to expand the data.

Thus if the original OS drive dies your server stays up.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.