Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Free ASP.NET hosting till 2010

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Marc Schweigert from the Federal Developer team shares a cool-sounding offer:

Verio is offering a sweet little free hosting deal to developers and designers to promote Microsoft-based hosting for products and technologies like Expression, Visual Studio, and Silverlight.  The Plan includes:

• .NET Framework 3.0 (I am told 3.5 will be made available eventually)
    • SQL Server Express
    • ASP.NET 2.0 (Including ASP.NET AJAX 1.0)
    • Full Trust
    • Shared AppPool
    • 100 MB disk space
    • Free through January 2010

So what do you have to do to get it?  Just call 800-932-7483.  No credit card is required. 

Bummer; you can't call that number outside the US. Interesting they include SQL Express. That's going to suck memory.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Full Trust and a shared apppool? That's pretty weak security.

The only way around it I can think of is enforced impersonation, but this doesn't protect against attacks by non-ASP.NET, like ASP3 or PHP.

Also, 100MB of space isn't much, and as everyone in the cutthroat webhosting industry knows bandwidth is the only real expense, and for a free account I don't think you get much of it.

This sounds like a glorified version of Cassini but on a server other people can access, besides showing off your pet-projects what good is it for? I'll bet there's some "no commercial use" clause in the agreement too.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dear lord. Full trust and shared. That's gonna be fun.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.