Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can't connect to wireless networks in Server 2008

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xenon101

Hi all,
    I recently decided to scrap my project on W2k3 server and start on W2k8 server (with vstudio 2008). Unfortunately I only have my laptop spare for the install, and one of the most important things I use it for is connecting to WLANs.

Now on Vista the wlan card is fine and when searching for networks a rather huge list always manages to be found. However when on Server 2008 (using same drivers and tried so many others) the card is found, I can search for networks but it finds nothing.

I recon it's either got to be Server 2008 doesn't connect to WLAN, it creates them OR the programming in the OS isn't finished yet OR the card isn't supported.

I have looked in the help which I did presume to be rather lacking during the beta, and it just says check the Windows Vista HCL. I haven't done so but the fact my pc was built for vista I presume the hardware is fine.

Has anyone else had this problem with Codename Longhorn beta 3? Or is it not a problem and I'm just trying to do something that can't be done?

Thanks in advance for anyones help Smiley

• User profile image
    BlueHiro

Add the "wireless LAN" functionality under the "Add a Feature" area. This problem drove me crazy for two days before I figured it out.

cheers

• User profile image
    SalmanMd

BlueHiro said:
    Add the "wireless LAN" functionality under the "Add a Feature" area. This problem drove me crazy for two days before I figured it out.

cheers

Thank You Very Much, Windows Server 2008 R2 on a hp dv5 now has wireless, thank you.*

tried it does not work for me;the wireless lan feature is installed. and the wireless is enabled. but the list is still empty. and vista 64 lan drivers refuse to install.

.oh well i guess its cable from here on. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

I followed the advice here. I think another service besides the WLan service was also required.

http://www.tipsfor.us/2008/12/08/turn-windows-server-2008-into-an-excellent-workstation-part-i-basics/

I could not have done it without your hint.

Thank You Very Much, Windows Server 2008 R2 on a hp dv5 now has wireless.Seriously;), thank you.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.