Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Just say no to Terrorist

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

"South Korea paid Afghanistan's Taliban more than $20 million to release 19 missionaries they were holding hostage, a senior insurgent leader said on Saturday, vowing to use the funds to buy arms and mount suicide attacks."

Now I'm not trying to start anything political here....but does anyone think this was a good idea in general?

• User profile image
    dahat

Nay... and what's worse this is not the first time we've seen this happen, either by the governments of the kidnapped persons or by their families.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

dahat wrote:
    Nay... and what's worse this is not the first time we've seen this happen, either by the governments of the kidnapped persons or by their families.

It's a horrible position to be in...to look at it roundly.

1. [goverment] doesn't meet demands, people die, goverment gets blammed for not doing enough.
    2. [goverment] meets demands, gets stigma as working with terrorist.
    3. [goverment] sends in military action Delta Force, Special Forces, Force Recon, etc...gets pounded in the world forum as being heavy handed and risking lives...

Tough card, though I doubt South Korea will get any respect from now on.

• User profile image
    dahat

Agreed. One question that must be asked about this is 'what happens next time?'

What are the chances that the Taliban will avoid taking any more South Korean hostages as they've already made a deal with them... or are they now more likely to target South Koreans as they know they can be ransomed for ~$1 million each?

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Agreeing to their demands is easily the worst decision you could make.  They've just made the situation even worse for the future.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I agree with DigitalDud. If they want to take hostages again, they know the gov't is likely to pay out.

I thought there was zero tolerance for terrorists, and that they didn't negotiate...

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I agree with DigitalDud. If they want to take hostages again, they know the gov't is likely to pay out.

I thought there was zero tolerance for terrorists, and that they didn't negotiate...

Who decided for the entire world that we have zero tolerance against terrorists?

I agree with Cybermagellan, doenst matter what you do. It's always the worst evil choice of those 3 choices.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

With the US I believe it's that way....(Unwritten rule)....but...this isn't the US.

The short amount of time I spent in South Korea (1 Yr) the culture is different. After invasion by the Chinese, Japanese, and the North...the South is pretty tired of being "dominated" in any way. SK has a big problem with reunification efforts that are demonstrated by college students who don't realize what life would be like under the North's rule. Considering all they see is Pyongyong which is a goverment sponsored model city they have a hard time imagining what their lives are like "with war", but the elders have great respect for "war efforts" because they remember how it benefitted(s) them.

Give then fact that if 19 or so "missionaries" were killed after being "neglected" by the goverment (had they not paid the "ransom") then SK would be under bigger goverment turmoil. I imagine they probably thought they were doing the right thing locally, but they made the situtation worse for everyone (IMO).

• User profile image
    littleguru

Well... it's easy to say it when you aren't involved. What if the terrorists would have kidnapped you? Would you still say the same?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru wrote:
    Well... it's easy to say it when you aren't involved. What if the terrorists would have kidnapped you? Would you still say the same?

Can't there be some "third-way" out of this?

Like pay the ransom, but it isn't real. Or use an escrow... but the escrow is in cahoots with SK and don't give the t'rrists the money.

Or just have a disclaimer that says the SK government will not bargain for anyone's life with said hostage-takers so they advise against going into the middle east.

Despite what can be said a "moral obligation", this really isn't SK's war.

• User profile image
    MikeeeG

My suggestion is to call out the terrorists onto the world stage and confront them. Let them make fools of themselves for all the world to see. One consolation is ,if they do take the bait , they may be as dumb as farm animals. Of course, one drawback is that thay will see themselves as being legitimized and that is not acceptable.

• User profile image
    Minh

dahat wrote:
    I admire your bravery, your willingness to martyr someone else's family members. You're special!

• User profile image
    z2bass

How would you feel if you were being held hostage by Islamic extreamests? Anything to preserve human life!

• User profile image
    Bas

z2bass wrote:
    How would you feel if you were being held hostage by Islamic extreamests? Anything to preserve human life!

Even if that means endangering even more human lives in the future?

• User profile image
    z2bass

If someone can save one person, it's worth it.

And I'm not quite sure that would allow them to kidnap people in the future.

• User profile image
    Bas

z2bass wrote:

If someone can save one person, it's worth it.

If someone is sacrificing 20 other people to save one person, it's worth it?

z2bass wrote:

And I'm not quite sure that would allow them to kidnap people in the future.

When they find out that governments pay millions of dollars whenever they threaten to kill someone? Of course they will.

• User profile image
    dahat

Minh wrote:

dahat wrote:

I admire your bravery, your willingness to martyr someone else's family members. You're special!

And I admire your inability to ever deal with an issue seriously and instead only possess the limited ability to tell jokes about it when you have nothing intelligent to say.

Seriously, grow up.

• User profile image
    dahat

In related news, Reuters is reporting that the Taliban has vowed to step up kidnapping and killing of foreigners. Wonderful.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.