Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Will Xbox360 be the only media center extender?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Ever since the Microsoft Windows Vista home page has been live the following phrase has been there:

"Other Media Center Extenders

Throughout the year, other types of Windows Media Center Extenders will become available, so you can choose the one that's right for your home and digital entertainment lifestyle. You'll find Media Center Extenders built into high-definition televisions, digital media set-top boxes, and even DVD players. And, if your PC has the right amount of power, Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate enable you to connect up to five Media Center Extender devices throughout your home."

Which year are they talking about? I was thinking 2007, but I am sort of loosing my faith in Microsoft. Will we ever have another MCX besides Xbox360? I saw a little hope when HP showed off a HD-flat screen TV with a built in MCX, but there has been silence ever since.

Does anyone know anything? Will there be a selection of MCX devices out in our shops before Christmas (2007) or will Microsoft miss this Christmas also?

Please Microsoft give us some hope!

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus wrote:
    There are plenty of extenders,...

Just do a quick live search and you come up with:

He means extenders that are compatible with the most recent version of Media Center.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

There are plenty of extenders,...

Just do a quick live search and you come up with:

Edit:

I should read better,..

Vista,.. hmmm,.. dunno if it will run it. Dunno if MCE Extender is fundamentally different in 2005 vs. Vista.

Edit 2:

Little more research

http://vista.pcplace.biz/2006/10/17/thoughts-on-vista-media-center/

No,.. they dont,.. Sux0r,..

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas wrote:
    He means extenders that are compatible with the most recent version of Media Center.

I need to read better,.. sorry Embarassed

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus wrote:

Bas wrote:

I need to read better,.. sorry

It happens. Tongue Out

Anyway, I find it a shame how limited these extenders are. The 360's extender functionality is good, but you lose a lot of third party functionality, like playing different video formats. I have all my DVD's ripped to WHS, and I can point Media Center to the shared folder, so that they're added to the library. But an extender (even the 360) won't play them, because the DVD Library menu option won't even show up.
    In other words, if you want the DVD Library functionality you're pretty much forced to use the media center pc directly, rather than through an extender.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Yeah I know. You can get to the marketplace via 10 different menu's, but playing a stored DVD/Xvid/Divx? Noway!

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

The PS3 is also a media extender and able to connect to media servers. You could also install a different OS and connect to any kind of server and access via client software.

Then there are free products like these for Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Media center on 360 is, for me, the only way I can watch TV on my projector right now.  Smiley

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

I have gone trough extensive lengths to silence my media center wich in my livingroom (drilling a 10cm diameter hole in the casing to place a fan), I was kinda dissapointed that the XBox 360 is so loud!

So it has no place in the living room for me. I envy your beamer though!

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Xbox 360 is way too loud and not an option for me.

Why is Microsoft so silent about it?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Maybe they are in the envisioning fase and awaiting several pattents to clear?

• User profile image
    Bas

That's taking quite a while though.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Good ideas are worth the wait,..

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

My guess is that the extenders are waiting for the Fiji update of Media Center which might in beta, why knows?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Been frustrated with this too. Posted a while back about the linksys MCE but it is a discontinued model and decided not to buy. The 360 is also not an option. I too wish there was some response from MS or vendors on when a device will be released.

If you have the cash you could always go with Sony.

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

That Sony device is NICE!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

harumscarum wrote:
    Been frustrated with this too. Posted a while back about the linksys MCE but it is a discontinued model and decided not to buy. The 360 is also not an option. I too wish there was some response from MS or vendors on when a device will be released.

If you have the cash you could always go with Sony.

Or not upgrade to Vista MCE,.....

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Ahhh, finally news from Microsoft on the subject: Great news!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.