Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Opera 9.5 features

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

CyberNet just published an article with a 5 minute video showing some new features of the not yet released alpha version of Opera 9.5.

Looks very promising, adding functional goodness and a much improved rendering engine (faster, consumes less memory, implements more CSS, JavaScript, AJAX and compatibility features).

• User profile image
    littleguru

That safe state and history search is cool Smiley The guys from Opera ever had cool ideas.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

littleguru wrote:
    That safe state and history search is cool The guys from Opera ever had cool ideas.

Was the only way to acces that feature by typing the URL opera:historysearch ?  I hope they move away from that for final release, I don't think it'll get used if they don't.

I'll still wait for release beore I try.  I'm starting to get paranoid these days.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Koogle

meh maxthon 2 has had those features for ages.. not to mention it' better browser in so many other areas.. opera suuxors as does firecrap

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Well, that's very constructive, Koogle. First of all, Maxthon uses the IE rendering engine, which means it can not have "those features" that have changed in the rendering engine. Second, according the the Maxthon website, Maxthon has an "Undo List" that can restore closed tabs. Opera has also had this for ages: the new feature in Opera 9.5 is that you can now also restore closed WINDOWS. I also don't see the "Full History search" feature on the Maxthon website. Please check your facts before insulting other browsers and making a fool out of yourself.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Dr. Herbie, the opera:historysearch URL just takes you to a Google-like view to search the history. You don't really need it, because you can just type in your keywords in the address bar and Opera will automatically show the pages that contain those keywords in the dropdown list. About waiting for the release: I always wait for the full release when there's a new version. I wouldn't want to mess up my working installation.

• User profile image
    Koogle

yes maxthon 2 does have a full blown history search aswel as feed history and its a lot better than opera..

as for undo close windows.. big deal thats not exactly a great feature..maxthon has plenty of the better features to make up for something that is pretty useless in most cases unless you go running multiple opera windows with tabs and then close the entire window. And Myie2/Maxthon had undo close tabs long before Opera or Firefox ever did.

and operas rendering engine, means very little.. the fact they have put in a option for the user to open up the page in another browser shows weakness imo. IE7 does a pretty good enough job, i'll agree the IE team need to get out an update to  improve IE with more support for css standards and improve transparent PNG rendering speeds...maybe in 2years or more years they'll chuck out update..., but having over 80+ tabs opened in maxthon and ctrl+left/right arrow through the whole lot is near instaneous display speed.. that you won't find in any other browser. Firefox might start crashing if you were to load it up with the same plugins to get the same features that maxthon has built in, and Opera, well that would probably wouldn't get that far.

• User profile image
    GamlerHart

Quote: Opera Link: bookmarks, Personal bar, and Speed Dial data can be synchronized via my.opera.com; access via the File > Synchronize with My Opera menu option; the most recent Speed Dial data will always be used when synchronizing
    (http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/w950a1.html)

Thats cool. I've installed opera on several machines. =)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I see I can't reason with you, because "your browser is the only one that's awesome and all the others suck".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.