Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

World's most powerful super computer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    borosen

World's most powerful supercomputer goes online (fwd)

Windows is running the most powerful super computer :O

Joke aside, it is some impressive numbers, especially if they where successfully organized.

As a comparison, Folding@Home have according to Wikipedia many hundred thousands of partisipants.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Now that's a really scary thought. Any idea what the average persons bandwidth is? It would be good to work out how much bandwidth that could pump out if they tried a DOS or something similar. You wouldn't stand much chance against it.

Does anyone know how this compares to the botnet (at least I think it was, I can't remeber) that attacked some of the DNS's a while back?

borosen wrote:
    Windows is running the most powerful super computer

Given the circumstances that's hardly a good thing.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It's time for Microsoft to update mrt.exe so it can recognize and remove that stormbot virus.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

GoddersUK wrote:
    Now that's a really scary thought. Any idea what the average persons bandwidth is? It would be good to work out how much bandwidth that could pump out if they tried a DOS or something similar. You wouldn't stand much chance against it.

Probably 99.99% of every host on the Internet today is vulnerable if the botnet used all the resources available to them.

The remaining 0.01% would be sites like Google.com and Microsoft.com, sites which are mirrored worldwide with really fat pipes.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

What's the official name of the virus?

Win32/Stormbot ?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

borosen wrote:
    World's most powerful supercomputer goes online (fwd)

Windows is running the most powerful super computer

Joke aside, it is some impressive numbers, especially if they where successfully organized.

As a comparison, Folding@Home have according to Wikipedia many hundred thousands of partisipants.

I once drafted a short story about a CS researcher who releases a virus that acts like a neuron.  He gives it up as a failure until 15 years later he starts getting strange messages from someone claiming to be his child. Never managed to figure out an ending though ...

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I once drafted a short story about a CS researcher who releases a virus that acts like a neuron.  He gives it up as a failure until 15 years later he starts getting strange messages from someone claiming to be his child. Never managed to figure out an ending though ...

The "child" develops an artificial form of Alzheimer's and dies

• User profile image
    Bas

Dr Herbie wrote:

It turns out that "Rosebud" was his sled all along.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bas wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

It turns out that "Rosebud" was his sled all along.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Dr Herbie wrote:

the AI takes control of the world, the survivors refuge themselves in an underground city called Zion. oh and keanu reeves saves the day :O

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo wrote:

I like imagining how that block they're on is the Empire State Building, and that there's a guy down below who'll point at Trinity's mangled corpse and proclaim that "'twas beauty killed the beast."

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

the AI takes control of the world, the survivors refuge themselves in an underground city called Zion. oh and keanu reeves saves the day

... or he names the AI 'Sky', but Sky renames itself to reflect it's distributed nature to 'SkyNET' ...

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

I'm trying to remember, but the "virus as AI" idea was kinda used by someone else.

Except in their case it was "massive update to OSs around the world becomes AI". Ack! I can't remember who the author was, but I think they road the "Sky Road"...

Ah ha! Thank you live.com, Ken Macleod.

Now, I could still be worng that he wrote that bit though, and I have no idea which book it was in. The plot featured a talking gun if memory serves though...

[edit: patience, it would seem, is a virtue I don't have. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Fraction-Fall-Revolution-Novel/dp/1857238338/ref=pd_sim_b_2/026-2001317-2442804 ]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.