Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

7 Reasons why Microsoft is Doomed.  DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

article that made it to Fark wrote:
    Not this year, not next year… but soon - almost certainly by the next decade.

http://www.askreamaor.com/microsoft-and-windows/reasons-why-microsoft-is-doomed/

I'll summarize:

1) Their business model is at a deadend.   Seems they are still flush with cash, but yea, they must be at a dead end.
    2) They flunk at Web 2.0  Why I kept reading, I don't know.  Anyone that uses Web 2.0 when they mean 'service oriented apps' is obviously too retarded to understand that 'service oriented apps' aren't making anyone any serious money, yet.
    3) They're running out of friends.  Yes, amazingly enough, MSFT has competitors.
    4) They only have a couple of cash cows to work with.  As opposed to what?  If the only products I had on the books were Win2k3 or Office, I'd be quite happy. 
    5) People are hating on Vista.  I'm here to tell ya, people hate on every new version of windows.  Time will tell, but this is a non-issue.
    6) Their stock isn't rising any more.  They pay dividends every year.  They are flush with cash.  They aren't a growth stock, but neither are any of their long term competitors.  Google is still going up, but it sure does seem to be levelling out.  And how much is your SUN er. JAVA stock worth now?
    7) PC Makers are starting to turn their backs on Microsoft.  No, Dell is taking a beating in the market (like all PC manufacturers) and so is looking for some extra market for little effort.

This guy should enjoy his 15,000,000 pagehits of fame while they last.

Edit:  I should really proofread

• User profile image
    dahat

I'd wager that he was singing a similar tune on say... 10 years ago declaring that 1996, 1997, 1998, etc was going to be the year of Linux on the desktop and the destruction of Microsoft as no one would want to buy crap like Windows 95 or 98.

Wasn't true then and sure isn't any truer today.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Except it seems more people are genuinely having issues with Vista than they are XP. I can accept a lot of them would just be media hype bandwagoning, but Classic mode and non-Aero in Vista are just.....ugly. At least in XP Classic-mode looked nice.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

debunked: http://www.ajaxninja.com/?p=139 (7 Reasons why Microsoft is NOT Doomed.)

• User profile image
    TimP

While Vista has been a pretty positive experience for me so far, Microsoft has done a terrible job defending misconceptions and changes from XP.

I lost count long ago of how many people say Vista is a memory hog because they don't know about file caching in memory. Every time I see this I wish Microsoft had a knowledge base article or something explaining this in simple terms that I could link them to, but eventually I just give up explaining it over and over.

To me it seems like Microsoft and Sony are in the same boat with Vista and PS3, respectively. They came from market dominating positions with their previous offerings (XP and PS2) and expected their sheep (oops, I mean customers) to buy the next offering without second thought. Neither product is bad, but the market hasn't embraced either with open arms. PS3 is currently last place in the console war and people seem reluctant to get Vista, even on new computers. I saw an article in the newspaper last month where their "tech expert" even recommended that back to school shoppers specifically request XP on their new computer. This guy may just be a hack, but a lot of people will take it as fact. As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft marketing/PR blew it and Vista will have a bad rep for the foreseeable future.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Chinmay007 wrote:
    Microsoft is not doomed, but I think Microsoft's monopoly is. There is very little need for Windows and Office anymore for many people.

Except that Office 2007 is soooo (add as many O's as you want) nice to use.

• User profile image
    jellowjacket

ScanIAm wrote:

Now there's a bold prediction:D  I predict that Not this year, not next year… but soon - almost certainly by the next decade some folks will continue to predict the doooom of MS. Big Smile

• User profile image
    keeron

jellowjacket wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

Now there's a bold prediction  I predict that Not this year, not next year… but soon - almost certainly by the next decade some folks will continue to predict the doooom of MS.

When I read that I was reminded of those linux trolls fans ... "this is the year of the linux... ok, it's 2008 for sure... "

People had issues when XP first came out, although so far I haven't seen as many problems with Vista (hardly any) and I've been using Vista since the "Longhorn" leaked builds came out. They had to maintain a lot of backwards compatibilty, and the fact that a lot of big companies didn't make their drivers & software compatible (or the right way) for Vista, a lot of people are having problems there and blaming Vista.

• User profile image
    arunmib

ScanIAm wrote:

5) People are hating on Vista.  I'm here to tell ya, people hate on every new version of windows.  Time will tell, but this is a non-issue.
    6) Their stock isn't rising any more.  They pay dividends every year.  They are flush with cash.  They aren't a growth stock, but neither are any of their long term competitors.  Google is still going up, but it sure does seem to be levelling out.  And how much is your SUN er. JAVA stock worth now?

Yes, I don't like VISTA but I am FREAKY FAN of XP . All I do in my life is download the new APPs MS releases for VISTA and use it in XP. I find no reason to change from XP.
    Then regarding the STOCK issue, what are you kidding???
    You know what will happen if MS stock prices start increasing or doubling like it's new competitors they will be a trillion dollar company and very soon they will be a 100 trillion dollar company and what next....(i don't the number after that)....Please don't make this sort of jokes Big Smile Big Smile

With their abundant cash reserves and resources how can somebody expect a company to vanish away???? I don't understand how can such a prediction be made.....

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

People always forget the "other half" of Office, probably because its pretty new.  But the whole MOSS platform and all the related Office servers have been growing very rapidly.  It's not just Word/Excel/Powerpoint that brings in the bucks anymore. 

• User profile image
    Soviut

Chinmay007 wrote:
    Microsoft is not doomed, but I think Microsoft's monopoly is. There is very little need for Windows and Office anymore for many people.

Right, and just as soon as my dad learns how to install a linux flavour;  configure, compile and deploy wifi drivers for his wireless hardware;
     install an office clone; etc. He'll have no need at all for windows or office.

• User profile image
    Animaonline

DELETED. P.S. Youre evil!

• User profile image
    Aarononthew​eb

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    debunked: http://www.ajaxninja.com/?p=139 (7 Reasons why Microsoft is NOT Doomed.)

I'm the author of that work and I'd like to say thanks for linking to me!

The original article was complete BS. I thought for sure it was an MS employee with a sense of humor until I looked around a bit more of the guy's website. I have a lingering suspicion that the guy put it out there just to be linkbait. I guess it worked if that was his objective.

Is there anything else I should add to my debunking article?

• User profile image
    msk

Yes you are sooo right microsoft are doomed
    but only to make a lot of money
    and continue to have a strangle hold on the Computer OS
    industry I do not know how they are going to cope

• User profile image
    Ray6

Chinmay007 wrote:

The monopoly will remain until:

1. The FOSS community delivers what people want, as opposed to what they want people to want. And what they want is one single unified distro that you all get behind and push for all its worth. I cannot believe how many times I have said this; it's so blinkin' obvious and yet year after year, blind ideology gets in the way of plain common sense.
    2. Apple allows MacOSX to run on any hardware. If that happened, then I think that MS sales share would be cut by about 20% almost overnight. However, this is unlikely to happen because Apple (quite rightly) places profit over market share. The machines are profitable, the operating system is not.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Aaronontheweb wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote:

I'm the author of that work and I'd like to say thanks for linking to me!

The original article was complete BS. I thought for sure it was an MS employee with a sense of humor until I looked around a bit more of the guy's website. I have a lingering suspicion that the guy put it out there just to be linkbait. I guess it worked if that was his objective.

Is there anything else I should add to my debunking article?

Thx for debunking and welcome on C9 Cool

• User profile image
    Bas

Actually, I'd like to see Microsoft remain the industry leader, only without the monopoly. Then maybe finally we can get rid of all those crippling antitrust issues.

• User profile image
    Outlaw

Bas wrote:
    Actually, I'd like to see Microsoft remain the industry leader, only without the monopoly. Then maybe finally we can get rid of all those crippling antitrust issues.

i agree. if they lost a bit of market share the regulations placed upon them could be lifted, and they wouldn't have to bow to other companies' whims.  also, maybe no more "windows n" without media player.

if apple can package itunes, the most popular media player on the planet, with osx, then i fail to see why microsoft cannot package wmp with windows in all markets where it is sold.  it's an unfair situation.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.