Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Linux a dirty word on XBOX?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    otech

Sorry if this has been posted before on here, I havent reviewed the threads much over the last few weeks but did have a quick look first.

Whats the deal with this?
    http://riverag.com/2007/09/03/the-word-linux-is-inappropriate-in-xbox-live/

Apparently the word Linux is a banned word and cant be used as part of your 'gamer motto' on XBOX Live?

• User profile image
    Ray6

otech wrote:
    Sorry if this has been posted before on here, I havent reviewed the threads much over the last few weeks but did have a quick look first.

Whats the deal with this?
    http://riverag.com/2007/09/03/the-word-linux-is-inappropriate-in-xbox-live/

Apparently the word Linux is a banned word and cant be used as part of your 'gamer motto' on XBOX Live?

Probably more to do with the lawyers than anything else. According to the comments, you can't use 'Microsoft' either, but you can use 'Apple'.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

So is "God" apparently.

• User profile image
    Massif

So it looks like trademarked words are prohibited (makes sense, who would be liable if your tagline was "Wal-mart are f*****s"?

And apple is a word  in common use, so I believe that the trademark doesn't apply to the word.

• User profile image
    Bas

"Money" used to be a banned word for names on MSN Messenger, but I think they changed that.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bas wrote:
    "Money" used to be a banned word for names on MSN Messenger, but I think they changed that.

They got rid of illegal strings in Messenger a while back, I take this as a good thing since it makes it easier to indicate which people you should immediately remove from your list Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo wrote:

They got rid of illegal strings in Messenger a while back, I take this as a good thing since it makes it easier to indicate which people you should immediately remove from your list

That's a good point. Although I always wanted to chat with Nigeria's prince Abakaliki.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

You shouldnt use dirty words like Linux,... Specially not infront of little children. It's best to shield them from it till they turn 18.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:
    So it looks like trademarked words are prohibited (makes sense, who would be liable if your tagline was "Wal-mart are f*****s"?

* ALERT * ALERT * ALERT * ALERT * ALERT * ALERT *

Proscribed phrase used.  Please remain seated until our operatives contact you.

Thank you

<FNORD>Stay in your seat<\FNORD>

* ALERT * ALERT * ALERT * ALERT * ALERT * ALERT *

In all seriousness, I think it's kind of pathetic that large companies like Microsoft, or Wal-mart think in those terms -- individuals are restricted in what they can say because some companies will sue 'for fun and profit'.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

Yeah, except it's not the individuals who will get sued, likely they'll sue MS as they're hosting the service.

And if it saves MS a few thousand in legal fees to prohibit trademarked names, who's to say that's so terrible? I agree that it's stupid, but then so many things are.

Of course, this is all just a guess, the real reason could be far more sinister.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

They should have just sold pre-canned mottos on marketplace for 1000 points or whatever.

• User profile image
    Bas

So by H4L0PR1CK, you really just meant to say "Halo making a small hole?"

• User profile image
    phreaks

Bas wrote:
    So by H4L0PR1CK, you really just meant to say "Halo making a small hole?"

No, but I didn't mean halo-male-appendage either.

It was meant more in the context of a sting, because if you play me you'll get pricked.

• User profile image
    phreaks

The XBL filters are ridiculous.

I was forced to change my gamertag of 3 years last month because all of a sudden it was inappropriate.I called the 800 number and tried to debate the inappropriateness of my gamertag with the rep; when it became evident that I clearly would not be able to persuade them of my stance; I asked that they cancel my subscription and refund me the pro-rated fee.

My account had just renewed the previous month, so I had 10 months of prepaid service.They refused to cancel my membership, meanwhile there are hundreds of obviously racial and ethnic slurs as gamertags abound on xbl, but I can't have a gamertag that someone could possibly mistake for a swear?

Zero-tolerance policies are stupid.

Edit: gamertag was H4L0PR1CK

Google wrote:

Definitions of pr1ck on the Web:

• prickle: make a small hole into, as with a needle or a thorn; "The nurse pricked my finger to get a small blood sample"
    • cause a stinging pain; "The needle pricked his skin"
    • pr1ck up: raise; "The dog pricked up his ears"
    • 4sshole: insulting terms of address for people who are stupid or irritating or ridiculous
    • goad: stab or urge on as if with a pointed stick
    • incision: a depression scratched or carved into a surface
    • prickle: cause a prickling sensation
    • cl0ck: obscene terms for appendage
    • to cause a sharp emotional pain; "The thought of her unhappiness pricked his conscience"
    • sting: deliver a sting to; "A bee stung my arm yesterday"
    • the act of puncturing with a small point; "he gave the balloon a small pr1ck"

• User profile image
    littleguru

A littleguru is hopefully always a nice person - hah!

I don't like these filters too. But I can deal with them since they don't catch any foreign language or dialect Tongue Out

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

i dont generally bother with aliases on the net.... on xbox live im party martin (wanted party marty but someone already took it Sad )

my email is address is my name......

i've nothing to hide

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

martin_lovick wrote:
    i dont generally bother with aliases on the net.... on xbox live im party martin (wanted party marty but someone already took it )

my email is address is my name......

i've nothing to hide

I have a cat called Marty Tongue Out

He was used as a football until we "adopted" him, now he's a teeny bit braindamaged, but easily the cutest and nicest cat in the world. I'll post a pic of him sometime Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

The word Linux is pretty heavily trademarked actually.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.