Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Kentsfield quad-core heat

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

Anyone here have a Intel Kentsfield quad-core CPU?

You mind sharing your temperature under load via CodingHorror building a PC posts?

It's basically running Prime95 on each core, and using Core Temp to measure the temperature. I'm getting 70C -- which is 15C above the temperatures by the blog posts.

Should I worry?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

70 degrees C under load is pretty normal for any type of embedded logic, as long as it's stable your fine.

• User profile image
    Minh

Maddus Mattus wrote:
    70 degrees C under load is pretty normal for any type of embedded logic, as long as it's stable your fine.
    Aahh, thanks. I gave up building systems because of these stressful unknowns. Until I got into the "quiet PC" kick.

Another lesson I learned is that fans on heatsinks are important.

I tried not having a CPU fan (it's a Scythe Ninja heatsink) and under load, temperature went up to 90C. Yikes.

I also tried no fan on the northbridge heatsink (which mobo manufacturer says isn't strictly necessary if I'm not overclocking the system) -- and that just cause the system not to be able to boot up on occasion... and the system seems sluggish.

And man, that northbridge heatsink was HOT to the touch. Probably a good sign it wants to be ventilated.

• User profile image
    JonLumb

If you are concerned about the temperature, (and a lower temperature will prolong the life of the processor), then I can highly recommend the Zalman 9700LED cooler.  Costs about £30 over here in the UK, and it normally knocks 12-15 degrees off the stock cooler's temperatures.

• User profile image
    Minh

JonLumb wrote:
    If you are concerned about the temperature, (and a lower temperature will prolong the life of the processor), then I can highly recommend the Zalman 9700LED cooler.  Costs about £30 over here in the UK, and it normally knocks 12-15 degrees off the stock cooler's temperatures.
    Yah... stock cooler is out. I'm using the Scythe Ninja

That's a 120mm fan! And it's short compared to the heatsink. It's so big, it's actually taking the space of one of my RAM stick.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

I went a little crazy and water cooled my PC.  Under load it stays steady at around 50C.  It would probably be lower if that was the only chip I was cooling but the chipset, graphics, and hard drives are cooled as well.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

70 seems high, but then I had an older machine that lived in that range.  I spent hundreds of dollars trying out different heatsinks and fans and paste only to find out that the chip probably had a faulty sensor.  Hell, I even spent a few hours lapping the bottom of a heatsink to try and get a few less degrees.

If you're really concerned, you could pick up a Raytec MT6 (or something similar) and check the temperature that way. 

• User profile image
    Minh

ScanIAm wrote:

If you're really concerned, you could pick up a Raytec MT6 (or something similar) and check the temperature that way.
    Hmmm... $100. It'll be the ultimate single-purpose-single-use piece of eqt. I think I'll live with the uncertainty Smiley

• User profile image
    wkempf

I have an E6600 that running the stock fan was idling at 50C.  If left running, it would eventually creep up high enough to actually cause the PC to turn off.  Under load it would kick off the alarms in PC Probe (it's on a P5B Deluxe Mobo) fairly reliably.  I bought a better cooling system for it and it now idles around 40-42C and under load remains below 60C.  I've never had to worry about temps before, so I have no idea how good/bad any of this is (though kicking off alarms and powering down indicates the stock cooling system was obviously not "good enough").  But based on my temps, that 70C sounds high?

Now the only issue I have with heat is that though the PC is running within ranges PC Probe considers tolerable, I've now raised the temperature in the room by nearly 5F.  Room is just plain stuffy! Sad

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Minh wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

Hmmm... $100. It'll be the ultimate single-purpose-single-use piece of eqt. I think I'll live with the uncertainty

I got one for much less than that off eBay, but yeah, it is kind of a single purpose item. 

The cool thing, though is to use it to monitor for hot zones in your case.  Or to check out if you have a fever.  Or aim it at a fish-tank and check the water temp.  Or determine if your hamster is sleeping or dead.

Ah....good times.

• User profile image
    wkempf

ScanIAm wrote:

Minh wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

Hmmm... $100. It'll be the ultimate single-purpose-single-use piece of eqt. I think I'll live with the uncertainty

I got one for much less than that off eBay, but yeah, it is kind of a single purpose item. 

The cool thing, though is to use it to monitor for hot zones in your case.  Or to check out if you have a fever.  Or aim it at a fish-tank and check the water temp.  Or determine if your hamster is sleeping or dead.

Ah....good times.

LOL.  Best post of the day.

Another use... check to see if that hamster is a "hamster from h3ll".  (Obscure joke that no one will get unless they follow the link, but hey what's on the other side is fairly humorous on its own.)

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

wkempf wrote:
    what's on the other side is fairly humorous on its own.)

Agreed, lol.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.