Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Message #013

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DarthVista

Greetings.

I have encountered some difficulties lately with MSDN search in Visual Studio. So I ask, is there a way to improve the search functionality?

It has taken me a long time to find some basic information. For example, I typed in "win32 form library" into the MSDN search box (the library is installed on my hard drive). Like every other time I use this feature, it comes back with the first twenty entries (out of 500, of course). The first options that come back are Mapi, CDO, and something about Unix.

Unix.

But, after a bit of clicking, I stumbled on a very useful article called "Microsoft Win32 to Microsoft .NET Framework API Map" which has a side-by-side comparison of Win32 API functions vs. .NET functions and is *somewhat* relevant to what I was looking for. This was long after I set my language choice to "C++" in the search options, set the Technology option to "C++ Libraries (Native), WIN32 & COM) and "All" for content. Those are the settings I picked on day one.

Get this: I typed in "Obi Wan will pay" and it returns "1-20 of 500 results". The first entry is "How to Install WAN Services for X.25 Exchange Installations".

This is relevant...how?

"Han Solo in Carbonite"...it returns 15 results. "Death Star" returns 126 results, with "Death Taxes and Relational Databases" being the top entry.

Wait...ah, there we go. I found my new Help Favorite:

"linux is not free" returns 500 entries, with the top one being "How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP".

Cool

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

[quote user = "Darth Vista"]Cool[/quote]
    [Quote user = "Raymond"]Cool[/quote]

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's you!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    dahdahdit_d​ahdit_ditdi​tdah

What a stupid post.

Jump on the "clue train" and realize the future of programming is not as narrowly defined as you like to think it is. By the time you learn how to bash out WPF code in notepad the rest of the world will have moved on. HAve fun converting your old code!

And who the heck types "Han Solo" into their VS Search engine?

Perplexed

• User profile image
    DarthVista

dahdahdit_dahdit_ditditdah wrote:
    Jump on the "clue train" and realize the future of programming is not as narrowly defined as you like to think it is. By the time you learn how to bash out WPF code in notepad the rest of the world will have moved on. HAve fun converting your old code!
    Your arrogance shines through here. I realize the incessant yammering of the Linux crusaders and their onslaught of FUD, compile-it-yourself apps, and hackneyed licensing has the tendency to confuse and corrupt even the brightest of developers out there. But you have choices with proprietary software; contrary to what your "literature" and your puppet leaders tell you.

• User profile image
    keeron

• User profile image
    dahdahdit_d​ahdit_ditdi​tdah

DarthVista wrote:
    Your arrogance shines through here. I realize the incessant yammering of the Linux crusaders and their onslaught of FUD, compile-it-yourself apps, and hackneyed licensing has the tendency to confuse and corrupt even the brightest of developers out there. But you have choices with proprietary software; contrary to what your "literature" and your puppet leaders tell you.
    I have choices.

Mmmmkay.

I have a choice NOT to buy your product. How's that sound?

I, on the other hand, am not tied to any particular vendor. That doesn't mean I don't have favorits.

I have a choice to make my system run efficiently.

I have a choice to install what I want, when I want, and not have to run adawarespybothijackthiscwshredderdelcmdservicevundofix and a bunch of other tools on my relative's machines every other weekend.

• User profile image
    DarthVista

O crusader, servers across the world have had various operating systems installed on them over the years...from UNIX to Windows and now Linux. Yet I tell the open source crowd: you and your occupation will disappear, and, Vista willing, Intel and Windows will remain forever.

• User profile image
    jamie

..ah darth.. the mini of coffeehouse  haha

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Beh... I think we all know Darth is a hypocrite by now.

Anyway, just for fun... servers is probably among the least interesting of things going on in the FOSS world these days.

• User profile image
    DarthVista

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Darth might just use this moment to retire his screen name for good. His concept of Big Brother crossed with reworked speeches from the news crossed with Star Wars just isn't working too well anymore. Although he thought the one about rewriting textbooks (like they really do in certain countries) was darn witty.

But hey, if people can't laugh at themselves once in a while, he thinks they are taking life way too seriously anyway.
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Anyway, just for fun... servers is probably among the least interesting of things going on in the FOSS world these days.
    Darth tried open source once but found the tools to be very inadequate. Fighting with GTK libraries wasn't too fun either. Then he tried to install Anjuta and got stuck in dependency chaos with his trial Ubuntu installation...although he has not tried any of the latest builds. Coding large projects from g++ and emacs or vi was a pain, or so he found out. Praise be to Vista, he came running back, for better or for worse, to VS. Sad

• User profile image
    figuerres

DarthVista wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Darth might just use this moment to retire his screen name for good. His concept of Big Brother crossed with reworked speeches from the news crossed with Star Wars just isn't working too well anymore. Although he thought the one about rewriting textbooks (like they really do in certain countries) was darn witty.

But hey, if people can't laugh at themselves once in a while, he thinks they are taking life way too seriously anyway.
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Darth tried open source once but found the tools to be very inadequate. Fighting with GTK libraries wasn't too fun either. Then he tried to install Anjuta and got stuck in dependency chaos with his trial Ubuntu installation...although he has not tried any of the latest builds. Coding large projects from g++ and emacs or vi was a pain, or so he found out. Praise be to Vista, he came running back, for better or for worse, to VS.

Darth, often the "nutcase'es" and your "Messages" have been so far out from reality that it's hard to know when you mean to be "toung in cheek" as it were or if you really belived what you wrote was 100% the whole truth ....

one of the big problems with email and other forms (chat, snailmail letters and the like) is that the reader can not see the face, posture or hear the tone of the speaker, or the speed of the speech.

with all of that missing it is *VERY* easy to mis-read the intended tone / mood / direction of the speaker.

that's one reason live meetings and live comedy work much better than written transacipts of the same event.

perhaps a video or audio blog would work better ??

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

DarthVista wrote:
    Praise be to Vista, he came running back, for better or for worse, to VS.
    wtf? So are you kidding here or what?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.