Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Palm Foleo cancelled

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Can't say I'm suprised. For a bit more cash, you could have bought a subnotebook

The Official Palm blog explains the reasoning behind the decision, which can be summed up by 'it was just a really naff idea.'

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Palm wrote:
    ..in its current configuration...

Not scrapped completely.

Palm make good devices, I've only ever used them. I have windows on my PC, I _dont_ want it on my mobile, at the moment. Palms OS is simple and fast, and I like it. Many people like it. They've made decent stuff and have probably just realised that _nobody_ in their right mind wants a Foleo in its current configuration, so they're changing it.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Palm wrote:
    ..in its current configuration...

Not scrapped completely.

Palm make good devices, I've only ever used them. I have windows on my PC, I _dont_ want it on my mobile, at the moment. Palms OS is simple and fast, and I like it. Many people like it. They've made decent stuff and have probably just realised that _nobody_ in their right mind wants a Foleo in its current configuration, so they're changing it.

I agree ... mostly. I've been using Palm devices since the Palm III. But the OS is pretty outdated, and can't handle the stuff I want to do with it, so I'll probably change (reluctantly) to a WM6 machine ... just a cheap one so I can dip my big toe in so to speak.

It's good that they canned the Foleo before they embarrassed themselves further, but I can't help worrying about the sort of management that would think it had a market for this thing.

Still, I hope their Linux stuff comes to something, and that we're not looking at a long, slow death for the company.

• User profile image
    Bas

If by changing the current configuration they mean 'not making it anything like a huge phone that you can't really call with merged with a tiny notebook you can't actually use,' then I'm all for the project.

I'd like to see them just make another traditional Smartphone device that really has nothing to do with the Foleo whatsoever, and if they're brave, they can slap the Foleo name on that and hope they don't jinx it.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:
    If by changing the current configuration they mean 'not making it anything like a huge phone that you can't really call with merged with a tiny notebook you can't actually use,' then I'm all for the project.

I'd like to see them just make another traditional Smartphone device that really has nothing to do with the Foleo whatsoever, and if they're brave, they can slap the Foleo name on that and hope they don't jinx it.

If I were them, I'd forget the 'Foleo' brand altogether ... come up with something different.

Wow. Hard to believe that this is the same outfit that came up with the original PalmPilot ....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.