Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MS drops Zune price in preparation for 'pod pasting

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Well the smart money says that no-one should buy any MP3 player until later this evening.

Yup, it's time for another iPod hypefest, and in preparation for the event, MS has made a rather weak pre-emptive strike; the Zune's official list price is down to $199 (though to be fair, many outlets have been discounting them at this level in order to shift them).

... or is MS preparing to release an updated Zune? I think the company would be foolish to try and match an iPod release day, so I don't think this is going to happen just yet.

Apple has let innovation slide on the big 'Pod line, so the HD players are definitely due for a tune up.  So will we see a touch screen, OSX as the new OS? The Beatles on the ITMS?

Or perhaps iPod Genuine Advantage, allowing Apple to check the contents during a firmware update. If it finds 'suspect' files, then the mothership downgrades the iPod's functionality, so that it only plays tracks by Suzanne Vega ...

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.4086

• User profile image
    Dodo

Ray6 wrote:
    Or perhaps iPod Genuine Advantage, allowing Apple to check the contents during a firmware update. If it finds 'suspect' files, then the mothership downgrades the iPod's functionality, so that it only plays tracks by Suzanne Vega ...
    Expressionless

Err... what!?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Dodo wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Err... what!?

Yeah I know; it made sense when I wrote it this morning ....

• User profile image
    Ray6

Chinmay007 wrote:
    It's been $199 for months in Office Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

I was thinking of buying one but unfortunately until there is Linux support (and preferably USB Mass Storage support) I can't justify the purchase. I'll be waiting for either the new iPod or a Zune with generic mass storage support.

What?! Expressionless

You can't use it as a USB disk?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Chinmay007 wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Chinmay007 wrote:
    It's been $199 for months in Office Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

I was thinking of buying one but unfortunately until there is Linux support (and preferably USB Mass Storage support) I can't justify the purchase. I'll be waiting for either the new iPod or a Zune with generic mass storage support.

What?!

You can't use it as a USB disk?

Nope, the Zune isn't useable at all on Linux and Mac OS X currently. It lacks USB Mass Storage support.

And why is that? I guess it's because the record companies own the Zune. In order to protect their interests, it will always be stunted in some way that will be a turn off for most buyers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.