Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Silverlight's installer nonsense

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

I just tried the silverlight RTM installer and found out 2 annoying things:

1. firefox was closed without the installer telling me anything and not always firefox is closed well by the installer, in fact it remained open in the background and I had to terminate it
    2. when the install completes it says "Please restart your browser to complete the installation": at first I thought the installer wanted me to relaunch the browser while it was still open (a-la-flash), then after re-opening firefox and seeing nothing happened I noticed that after the setup completed a tiny (almost invisible on high-res screens especially because of its light colors that almost blend in the background) close button appeared at the top right. really confusing. at least they could put a "You can now close this window" string somewhere or a nice "Close" button below the text.

• User profile image
    jamie

id add - why the restart?

*doesnt flash install - then show you the <animation du jour>

and please... right mouse options copy / paste/save as/ embed / full screen....  = stop COPYING flash and SURPASS it

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

jamie wrote:
    id add - why the restart?

*doesnt flash install - then show you the <animation du jour>

and please... right mouse options copy / paste/save as/ embed ....

even flash restarts the browser when you update it however at least it asks before restarting it: if I was working on something I would have lost everything.

• User profile image
    jamie

really?  i seem to remember the flash active x control/install not needing restart - just having to go back to the original page with the animation

?

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

jamie wrote:
    really?  i seem to remember the flash active x control/install not needing restart - just having to go back to the original page with the animation

?

it doesn't ask for restart when you install it for the first time however it asks for restart when you update it (unless you upgrade to a new major version).

• User profile image
    Bas

On IE7, for me, it downloaded and installed in about 7 seconds. No restart messages or anything. Really smooth and flawless experience.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Bas wrote:
    On IE7, for me, it downloaded and installed in about 7 seconds. No restart messages or anything. Really smooth and flawless experience.

Same here. But I did only the update from RC1 to RTM.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.