Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SCO, Round Two

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fdisk

SCO appeals Unix ruling, seeks a second act

With a potential $25 million settlement against them, apparently SCO only has about $19 million in assets. So...they have to get some cash together quickly. Are you going to be their next mobile customer?

MarketWatch wrote:
    In a potential last-minute reprieve, SCO is attempting to branch out. The company recently began selling software services for mobile devices, such as applications for coordinating meetings, and networking with friends.

Here's a nice quote, too.
    MarketWatch wrote:
    "We're not dead," McBride said, "it's just one of those situations where if you're knocked down seven times, you have to get up eight."
    I think somebody has been watching too many Rocky movies!

• User profile image
    Ray6

... this is beyond embarrassing ...

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Its not embarassing, its in fact necessary.  With the way things stand now, we dont have answers on the important issues.  Does Linux violate UNIX IP?  Novell doesnt want to find out, can we trust the Linux community to be honest on the subject since they are the ones that may have stole it in the first place?  The Linux communities recent taking of OpenBSD code and trying to relicense it as GPL shows they have no respect for other peoples IP, in my eyes anyhow.   I hope SCO wins and it goes forward.  Im sick and tired of SOME people in the Linux crowd (note I didnt say ALL) treating the GPL like a shield that gives them the right to do whatever whenever they want. 

• User profile image
    Ray6

rjdohnert wrote:
    Its not embarassing, its in fact necessary.  With the way things stand now, we dont have answers on the important issues.  Does Linux violate UNIX IP?  Novell doesnt want to find out, can we trust the Linux community to be honest on the subject since they are the ones that may have stole it in the first place?  The Linux communities recent taking of OpenBSD code and trying to relicense it as GPL shows they have no respect for other peoples IP, in my eyes anyhow.   I hope SCO wins and it goes forward.  Im sick and tired of SOME people in the Linux crowd (note I didnt say ALL) treating the GPL like a shield that gives them the right to do whatever whenever they want. 

I take your point, but in this particular case, I really don't see how SCO has a leg to stand on. Everything they have dragged up has been thrown out of court time and time again. This case has caused irreparable damage to SCO; the only reason they persist with it is because they're damned either way. They may as well carry on and see if fate smiles on them and throws them something from this mess that they've managed to land themselves in.

But in principle I agree; the GPL should not be a license to steal stuff.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.