Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

zune, a good try but buh bye

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Ipod Classic 160gb yes please

Ipod Touch with wifi.  It has a browser, you can download songs from itunes with it, you can synch wirelessly.  everything the zune shoulda done.

Microsoft what are you doing, i mean really what are you doing?  you best announce something better than a price cut tomorrow.

you've had all this time to deliver promised upgrades, to expand it globally and you've sat on your asses.  one of your execs gave you a B- of course thats biased.  i give you FAIL

• User profile image
    Stebet

Jaz wrote:
    Ipod Classic 160gb yes please

Ipod Touch with wifi.  It has a browser, you can download songs from itunes with it, you can synch wirelessly.  everything the zune shoulda done.

Microsoft what are you doing, i mean really what are you doing?  you best announce something better than a price cut tomorrow.

you've had all this time to deliver promised upgrades, to expand it globally and you've sat on your asses.  one of your execs gave you a B- of course thats biased.  i give you FAIL

I couldn't agree more.

Sorry MS guys but the Zune just got it's (I need to watch my language) handed to it big-time. I've never been a big fan of the Apple stuff but this is the first time i actually want to run out and buy an iPod (the touch that is).The only way i could possibly see Zune recover now is release a  Zune 2.0 with the same features as the iPod Touch but give it developer extensibility, for example with support for the .NET Framework and some kickass WORLDWIDE collaborations (like VH1, MTV or something similar).

And even if that happened MS would still have a mountain to climb.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Stebet wrote:

I couldn't agree more.Sorry MS guys but the Zune just got it's (I need to watch my language) handed to it big-time. I've never been a big fan of the Apple stuff but this is the first time i actually want to run out and buy an iPod (the touch that is).The only way i could possibly see Zune recover now is release a  Zune 2.0 with the same features as the iPod Touch but give it developer extensibility, for example with support for the .NET Framework and some kickass WORLDWIDE collaborations (like VH1, MTV or something similar).And even if that happened MS would still have a mountain to climb.

You'll notice the iPhonepod doesn't have "song swapping" via wifi unlike the Zune.

Probably a good thing, Apple knew they'd be screwed by the record industry. Someone will probably hack it though.

• User profile image
    intelman

I like my Zune. I mainly got it because it was cheap and I am a college student, but I like it. The only thing I can complain about is the battery life could be longer and I wish the screen were uber hard and impossible to scratch. I hate scratches on my screen...saddly I have acquired a few Sad

I personally think the Zune has a nice simple clean design that is more favorable to the round smooth edges of the iPod. I know quite a few people who have Zunes at Ohio State, I can't imagine the sales are doing too bad. Even my home town (small and non techy) of London, Ohio, I know at least a dozen people with Zunes.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I think it'd be cool if they made a MUSIC PLAYER.

These days they play movies, music, share music via wifi... I just want to listen to MUSIC. Sure, I'd like the whole Wifi stuff if it was practical. If you could use it as a modem. If you could actually surf the web.

For now, they should concentrate on it playing all the big formats AND OGG VORBIS! and playing some simple movies. Make it cheap, durable, big battery, big HDD. I'm looking at a larger music player - a 2GB card in my phone just wont cut it at the moment, my library is rapidly approaching about 15GB.

I saw a philips 30gb MP3 player on ebay complete with a nice UI for £40. Perhaps MS should make stuff cheaper and more durable.

I want a zune. I must say, it appeals to me. Especially the brown one. I want a brown zune. I just wont buy one until

a) I can use it as a modem
    b) I can surf the web with it
    c) I can chat to other Zune-ers nearby with it, like Nintendo DS
    d) Its cheaper

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    intelman

A zune as a modem? I'm not sure why anyone would want that, I'm not even sure if it makes sense.

Now if you could surf the web or connect directly to an Wi Fi hotspot with the Zune and do something, that'd be sweet.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

No as in, hook it into my pc, then use it to connect to the network. I could then use my Zune as a Wifi connector thing to connect to my network, instead of buying two devices. I suppose modem was the wrong word.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Jaz

i can't be arsed dorting out what i just said.

It sounds like you want an ipod classic (new name of the ipod) tbh.

your modem idea is.... silly, just get a cheap usb wifi card thingy

• User profile image
    jamie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5366534.stm

it would be amazing to put ALL of MSR on this and make a small and large version - tablet OS with Surface UI

that would be what bills been picturing / written about in his books. so... do it! Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

jamie wrote:

it would be amazing to put ALL of MSR on this and make a small and large version - tablet OS with Surface UI

now THAT would be what bills been picturing all along - and written about in books. so... do it!

throwing the thread off topic?

• User profile image
    jamie

Jaz wrote:

jamie wrote:

now THAT would be what bills been picturing all along - and written about in books. so... do it!

throwing the thread off topic?

no.. apples got a touch screen full screen UI ipod now

so to beat that - make it roll up - easy? ..no.  cool? i think

edit:

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I'm dissapointed in the limited capacity of the iPod Touch. 30GB and I would very tempted to snap one up. 16GB for $400 isn't going to cut it for me though.

I hope they haven't screwed up the UI too much on the classics.

• User profile image
    jamie

Chinmay007 wrote:

That would be cool, but that type of display technology is probably at least ten years away.

well by putting all of MSR on it maybe it would be quicker

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

BTW, does the Zune stream media? Like if I had a networked drive, it'd connect up and play music off it?

Also, does the PSP do this/will the PSPv2?

Last modified
  • User profile image
    OrigamiCar

I've got to say that I'm definately no Apple Fan Boy (can't stand Macs) and I've never once bought anything from Apple, but the iPod Touch is extremely sweet looking. The ONLY thing stopping me from buying one is 16gb capacity - way too low. If they had introduced an 80gb or 160gb harddisk version, I would definately have preordered one today...

It will be interesting to see what MS comes up with for zune 2 and I really hope they suprise me, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I currently own a zune v1 and like it a lot. Microsoft are announcing their v2 ones soon I believe, but if the v2's are just improved v1's with higher capacity and a new shell design, I doubt I'll be buying one.

Next year when Apple announces the iPod Touch 160gb (or 300gb Wink) version, I'm afraid that's when I'll probably be making the switch and buying my first ever Apple product....

Come on Microsoft, don't make me switch!! [6]

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop
  • User profile image
    Bas

Yep, Microsoft could've beaten Apple at this game and came out with exactly what Apple is doing now, only 10 months earlier. But hey, let's not. Let's put in wifi, but instead of wireless synching and buying and downloading songs straight from the device itself, let's just use it to enable people to send songs to each other. Because that makes so much sense.

Hey, maybe the new Zunes coming out this year will be able to function as a mass storage device. That'd be AMAZING!

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Looks cool however I do not think I can take another itunes update!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.