Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft's LucidTouch: a multi-touch display with pseudo-transparency

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070905-microsofts-lucidtouch-a-multi-touch-display-with-pseudo-transparency.html

LucidTouch is currently the name for a prototype device that allows users to interact with an 800x480 pixel screen without having to touch the front surface. Instead, users can choose to manipulate objects by touching a sensor pad on the back of the device; this allows users to resize images and text, as well as navigate around any graphical user interface without their hands getting in the way of the display. To achieve this, LucidTouch displays a transparent version of your hands on its screen so that you know where your fingers are but can also see through them. If you want, you can touch the front surface for some tasks through a resistive touch screen and also use the back surface for others.

• User profile image
    Ray6

a ! wrote:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070905-microsofts-lucidtouch-a-multi-touch-display-with-pseudo-transparency.html

LucidTouch is currently the name for a prototype device that allows users to interact with an 800x480 pixel screen without having to touch the front surface. Instead, users can choose to manipulate objects by touching a sensor pad on the back of the device; this allows users to resize images and text, as well as navigate around any graphical user interface without their hands getting in the way of the display. To achieve this, LucidTouch displays a transparent version of your hands on its screen so that you know where your fingers are but can also see through them. If you want, you can touch the front surface for some tasks through a resistive touch screen and also use the back surface for others.

Seems like someone else is working on something similar ....

Apple Multi-touch back surface patent thingy ....

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:

Yeah Microsoft and Multitouch. Sigh.

It's alright Microsoft talking about MT, and I know Apple's is of more limited functionality - but until MS actually *deliver* MT somewhere I am going to be disappointed with them. 

Surface seems to have gone very very quiet.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Rossj wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Yeah Microsoft and Multitouch. Sigh.

It's alright Microsoft talking about MT, and I know Apple's is of more limited functionality - but until MS actually *deliver* MT somewhere I am going to be disappointed with them. 

I have to correct you on something there.

Do not mistake 'limited functionality' with 'functionality kept simple to meet a need'

iPods don't need the ability to read prices off the bottom of coke cans.

Rossj wrote:

The amount of noise is in keeping with the number of people who have a use for it.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:

Do not mistake 'limited functionality' with 'functionality kept simple to meet a need'

Yeah of course, a big proponent of simplicity myself, but it wasn't meant as a criticism, but more of a perception of the difference in complexity.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.