Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

iPhone users irked by price drop

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

... so Apple hacks $200 off the price of an iPhone, and then whining starts ....

My favourite line?

Macenstein wrote:

WTF?!! ... Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Apple and AT&T have already stated that if you bought your device within 14 days that you're OK to get a price adjustment. > 14 days and your screwed though.

moot point.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Apple and AT&T have already stated that if you bought your device within 14 days that you're OK to get a price adjustment. > 14 days and your screwed though.

moot point.

I'd venture that you were screwed the moment you paid for the thing no matter how much it cost.  Smiley

• User profile image
    dahat

Nyeh, I was an early adopter and am outraged to see that prices and features didn’t remain static, nyeh!

You just know that someone who bought their iPhone... 15 days before the price drop (or opening day) is going to file suit over this.

My favorite line was:

This type of price reduction is unheard of, especially on a device selling as (allegedly) well as the iPhone

No it's not... you start at a high price and get to charge a premium for the new toy and as cost of production comes down or sales slow... you drop the price.

Apple just did it a little faster than the rate we normally see.
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

dahat wrote:
    You just know that someone who bought their iPhone... 15 days before the price drop (or opening day) is going to file suit over this.

They're going to try to sue... but what claim to they have?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:

dahat wrote:

They're going to try to sue... but what claim to they have?

Price fixing?

• User profile image
    pathfinder

Give it a few days and everyone will shut up about it.  Apple plans to sell 10+ million more of these world wide.  Why would they care about the less than 1 million that they already sold.   Most of them are fan-boys and buy new iPods every 6 months anyways.   

Apple cashed in on all of the people wanting to buy them an re-sell them for more on eBay anyways.  It makes pure economical sense.  Now that demand is subsiding sell them at a godd price point.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

It does look cool....

• User profile image
    Harlequin

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/steve-jobs-gives-all-iphone-owners-100-back/

Looks like current owners are getting $100 in gift certificates back.

• User profile image
    Bas

Dear Microsoft,

Pay attention to how this works. Big pricedrops, money back to early adopters. Lots of big positive press.

That is all.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Bas wrote:
    Dear Microsoft,

Pay attention to how this works. Big pricedrops, money back to early adopters. Lots of big positive press.

That is all.

Big pricedrops. $50 here and there is cool, but $200 is frickin' awesome! MS has a _lot_ to learn, but overall I'll stick to MS, cause anything i-Tune-ified seems to mess up my computer.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

$50 on a $250 product is cool, except when it's already being sold for $50 less anyway. $50 on a $500 product is just pathetic.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

What a crock.  I'll give Jobs credit for good PR, but it's at best a coupon for a reacharound.

We'll see how it works out, but my bet will be that you'll have to prove that you've purchased the iPhone in the past.  It may be easier to do so since you had to sign up for AT&T, but recognize that this isn't a lump sum rebate, it's a coupon redeemable ONLY at the apple store.  And do the math on how much 2 years of service and an iPhone cost.  $100 is chump change.  It probably costs twice that just to cancel your service. 

Again, good for Apple, they at least recognized that they screwed up, but I've purchased a number of MSFT products over the years, and rather than an open letter from Bill Gates telling me that I'll get some nice stuff from the MSFT store, I usually get a rebate. 

Cold hard cash that I can use to buy anything from bibles to hookers and I don't have to go to the MSFT store to do it.

• User profile image
    Bas

ScanIAm wrote:
    it's a coupon redeemable ONLY at the apple store.

That is, indeed, beyond lame.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Kryptos wrote:

The grammar in that letter is just awful.

• User profile image
    ironichi

Early purchasers of the iPhone get $100 certificate back so they can throw it plus more cash at Apple and likely become early adopters of the new iPod and get hosed again when the iPod price is slashed.  Those people at Apple are brilliant!

This is going to be hilarious.

• User profile image
    Bas

Chinmay007 wrote:

Wow, Apple's CEO voluntarily apologized to their customers and gave them a $100 coupon. That’s hundreds of millions of dollars. Steve Jobs is nothing less then a hero and really deserves all the "hype" he gets.

That's hundreds of millions of dollars that they won't lose a dime of, of course. It's more like lending, rather than giving.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.