Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Finally taken the plunge

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

So I've finally taken the plunge.  After months of umming and arrghing I've finally succumbed to Windows Vista.  Installed Ultimate on my MacBook via Bootcamp earlier today.

First impressions. Well I'm very impressed.  I've had brief affairs with Vista at work on customers machines and when fixing problems on relatives machines.

So far everything has gone very smoothly and for a user with a background of working on 'Nix platforms the UAC is great.  Windows has been crying out for something like this for a long, long time. It's finally arrived. Some people are still not happy but I guess you please everybody.

I've had no problems at all with setup and configuration and I think - blimey I never thought I'd say this - that I actually prefer it to OS X. I don't think it will ever be as good as Debian (thats me speaking personally) but I have a love affair with Debian that stretches back a long time.

Now, I'll cut to the chase. Why do some of my Winform apps (primaily developed in C# 2005 Express) look different in Vista? I know there's going to be quite a bit of UI change but what about this? I have an MDI app with a form (MainForm) that starts up in the constructor of the MDI Parent. In this form - which is set to centrescreen - I have a panel with a calendar control set to the right of that panel. In 2000/XP it all looks fine. In Vista half the calendar control is missing ?!?!?! Any ideas? I know you guys are crying out for a screenshot. Once I figured out how to do a screen dump in Windows on this friggin Mac keyboard then I'll post it.

Also, what do you guys run for anti-virus on Vista? I remember reading something where Jim Allchin has hinting that you might not even need an AV solution on Vista. What do you guys recommend?

Right, I'm off to play with  DreamScene.

P.S. Explorer bugs? What Explorer bugs. Ive been using this for 6 hours now copying data to and from several XP/Linux boxes and it's been as sweet as a nut.

• User profile image
    ironichi

Try Start -> Accessories -> Snipping Tool

• User profile image
    Bas

Or press the windows key, type "snip", and press enter. Gotta love Start menu search. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

SpongeBobSquarePants wrote:
    I remember reading something where Jim Allchin has hinting that you might not even need an AV solution on Vista.

That depends whether how careful you are. If you're going to be opening random executable willy nilly then of course you do...

Although I know people who run vista (and before that xp) without av.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Bas wrote:
    Or press the windows key, type "snip", and press enter. Gotta love Start menu search.

on this friggin Mac keyboard

No Windows key I'm afraid. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bas

Clicking the orb will do. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

Bas wrote:

Clicking the orb will do.

The Apple Key becomes the Windows key if you've installed the Apple Keyboard Support.  Tongue Out But you're right, clicking the Orb will
    do it

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Chinmay007 wrote:
    Good stuff. The only thing keeping me from upgrading to Vista is that stupid WGA crap. The price tag doesn't matter to me cause I get it for free.

It actually takes only 2 minutes during installation and I'm sure you know that. I've legit Vista and it haven't crossed my path since I've installed Vista in January. You can simply forget that WGA is even installed. 

Please don't troll threads with such nonsense.

• User profile image
    wkempf

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Chinmay007 wrote:
    Good stuff. The only thing keeping me from upgrading to Vista is that stupid WGA crap. The price tag doesn't matter to me cause I get it for free.

It actually takes only 2 minutes during installation and I'm sure you know that. I've legit Vista and it haven't crossed my path since I've installed Vista in January. You can simply forget that WGA is even installed. 

Chinmay007 may be a troll (he's several steps up from our traditional trolls, IMO), but concern over WGA isn't nonesense.  I'm a MS supporter, and I don't care for the WGA.  The fact that "it only takes 2 minutes during installation" (ONLY!?!) isn't fully accurate, and is really besides the point.  Ignoring the "philosophical" issues that people may have with it (and which are personal opinions that have as much validity as any of yours), there are technical concerns with WGA and any other anti-piracy scheme.  At best, they inconvenience the legitimate users, and at worst can actually prevent legal uses, while they don't even slow down the real pirates.  I'm a firm believer that our industry needs to stop all such practices, for the good of our customers.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

wkempf wrote:
    while they don't even slow down the real pirates.

Actually, in WGA's defense, it apparently lead to the cracking down on a number of large-scale commercial pirating organizations earlier this year.

Thing is, wouldn't they have investigated this regardless of WGA? False-attribution anyone?

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

wkempf wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Chinmay007 wrote:

Chinmay007 may be a troll (he's several steps up from our traditional trolls, IMO), but concern over WGA isn't nonesense.  I'm a MS supporter, and I don't care for the WGA.  The fact that "it only takes 2 minutes during installation" (ONLY!?!) isn't fully accurate, and is really besides the point.  Ignoring the "philosophical" issues that people may have with it (and which are personal opinions that have as much validity as any of yours), there are technical concerns with WGA and any other anti-piracy scheme.  At best, they inconvenience the legitimate users, and at worst can actually prevent legal uses, while they don't even slow down the real pirates.  I'm a firm believer that our industry needs to stop all such practices, for the good of our customers.

I entered key, Vista sent it to mothership for verification and it's done for ever. It's transperent to user, user don't interact with it after installation. You only got problems if you use pirated software (or if MS screws thier servers).

• User profile image
    Ray6

wkempf wrote:

Chinmay007 may be a troll (he's several steps up from our traditional trolls, IMO),

I disagree with Chimnay007 on more things than we agree on,  but he is not a troll.

wkempf wrote:

but concern over WGA isn't nonesense.

This is the only operating system that can stop working properly due to problems at the owner's remote server.  Although I often bang on about the lack of real innovation on the Mac side, at least I know that I'm not going to be involved in some tech lottery when I switch it on, which is why I have started recommending them over Windows again.

• User profile image
    Ray6

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Chinmay007 wrote:

So are you saying that the WGA is a good idea?

• User profile image
    Bas

Ray6 wrote:

So are you saying that the WGA is a good idea?

He's probably saying that he, like me, has never experienced any problems with WGA. That doesn't make WGA great, but it doesn't make it the major problem that people think it is, either.

• User profile image
    odujosh

GoddersUK wrote:

SpongeBobSquarePants wrote:
    I remember reading something where Jim Allchin has hinting that you might not even need an AV solution on Vista.

That depends whether how careful you are. If you're going to be opening random executable willy nilly then of course you do...

Although I know people who run vista (and before that xp) without av.

Yea I agree. I got some kind of ad virus on laptop already that tried to install something during start. UAC would ask me once if I trust some random exe to run. I just click a button boom no issue.

• User profile image
    wkempf

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

wkempf wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Chinmay007 wrote:

I entered key, Vista sent it to mothership for verification and it's done for ever. It's transperent to user, user don't interact with it after installation. You only got problems if you use pirated software (or if MS screws thier servers).

It wasn't transparent to people when the WGA servers went down.

• User profile image
    wkempf

double post

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

wkempf wrote:
    I'm a firm believer that our industry needs to stop all such practices, for the good of our customers.

The industry wouldn't use things like this (or SecureROM or DRM or WGA) if people just paid for the things they use. When people stop copyright theft, Microsoft will stop WGA.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.