Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Surface(ish) for the Mac ....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

Seems that Savant Systems think that Surface is such a good idea, they've decided to build there own version.

According to TechnoBob:

TechnoBob wrote:

Their Mac-based ROSIE Coffee Table Touchpanel Controller provides a one-stop-shop interface to all your home entertainment needs. The centerpiece of the system is an embedded 40-inch touch sensitive flat panel monitor, countersunk into the top of the coffee table. The table provides a customizable interface for media playback functions as well as home automation controls all in one place. Savant’s applications include the ability to control a variety of devices ranging from multimedia streamers to networked security cameras.

Lacks all the bells and whistles of MS Surface; it'll be interesting to see if it also lacks the hefty price tag.

• User profile image
    Bas

Nice to see this sort of thing popping up everywhere. Maybe they'll get affordable in the future. Also, hopefully this puts some pressure on MS to make sure that Surface becomes the standard implementation of this sort of thing, rather than have others steal their thunder. *cough*Zune*cough*wifi iPods*cough*

I'm wondering about this thing, though. Does it even have multitouch, or is it just a gigantic, traditional touch screen?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:
    Nice to see this sort of thing popping up everywhere. Maybe they'll get affordable in the future. Also, hopefully this puts some pressure on MS to make sure that Surface becomes the standard implementation of this sort of thing, rather than have others steal their thunder. *cough*Zune*cough*wifi iPods*cough*

Well, there's WiFi ... and then there's WiFi you can actually use for something ... Smiley

Bas wrote:

I'm wondering about this thing, though. Does it even have multitouch, or is it just a gigantic, traditional touch screen?

I reckon that we're looking at a really big touch screen. Doubt it will have multi-touch since it doesn't exist in MacOSX

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:
    Doubt it will have multi-touch since it doesn't exist in MacOSX as far as I know

Thought I'd just fix that for ya Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

Ray6 wrote:

Bas wrote:

Well, there's WiFi ... and then there's WiFi you can actually use for something ...

That's what I mean. The zune had the hardware it needed to be exactly what these new iPods are, and months earlier. But somebody figured that wireless downloading isn't as great as 'the social', and boom, thunder stolen.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Bas wrote:

Well, there's WiFi ... and then there's WiFi you can actually use for something ...

That's what I mean. The zune had the hardware it needed to be exactly what these new iPods are, and months earlier. But somebody figured that wireless downloading isn't as great as 'the social', and boom, thunder stolen.

I'm guessing that the problem is that MS was desperate for content when they opened up the Zune Market Place. Since they lack Apple's clout, then they had to agree to concessions. Apart from the record companies receiving money for each Zune sold, they probably also told MS to hobble the WiFi and keep it hobbled.

I'd be surprised if this changes in the next revision ....

• User profile image
    PaoloM

What does this thing have to do with Surface? I mean, besides being horizontal...

Expressionless

• User profile image
    Bas

Touch screen? That's about it, really.

• User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:
    What does this thing have to do with Surface? I mean, besides being horizontal...

What does have to do with the Mac at all, the Rosie is Linux-based. Looks like it is a single touch home automation table. Yawn.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Rossj wrote:
    .. and, you know, actually shipping

Tell that to the receiver remote my kids lost, and to my TV remote, digital cable remote, DVD remote, etc etc.

Put all that crap into a coffee table and I'd be in love.

Didn't read it, but I wonder if it's projection or if we're going to see actual screens like LCD/Plasma/DLP with the multi-touch. Since we've seen this at Microsoft Research.

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

It's a table
    It has a screen
    You touch it, it does stuff.

Ticks all the boxes in my book.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

What does have to do with the Mac at all, the Rosie is Linux-based. Looks like it is a single touch home automation table. Yawn.

Well, that makes a lot more sense. I couldn't believe that UI was done by anyone who is even allowed to touch a Mac...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ray6 wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

It's a table
    It has a screen

Well, yeah, I guess a Yugo and a Ferrari Enzo are both cars, I guess... Expressionless

• User profile image
    Harlequin

EDIT: Wrong click

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

It's a table
    It has a screen

Well, yeah, I guess a Yugo and a Ferrari Enzo are both cars, I guess...

If you want to get from A to B, then I guess so ...

... but if you want to pay an extra hundred grand to do it, then ....

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Ray6 wrote:

Lacks all the bells and whistles of MS Mitsubishi Surface; it'll be interesting to see if it also lacks the hefty price tag.

Fixed that for you.

• User profile image
    Bas

Detroit Muscle wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Lacks all the bells and whistles of MS Mitsubishi Surface; it'll be interesting to see if it also lacks the hefty price tag.

Fixed that for you.

What's this Mitsubishi Surface you speak of?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Detroit Muscle wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, I think we got that after the first 6 times you pointed it out.

Now, I am sure that you are 100% aware of all the differences between the DiamondTouch and Surface (like, say, you don't need to be capacitively wired to a receiver embedded in your chair in order to be identified in Surface), and the fact that Surface prototypes have been shown for years before the DiamondTouch so I will assume that in the future there won't be need for you to keep pointing out stuff that's, well... not true.

Thanks.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.