Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Long Live iPhone ring tones

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

iPhone ring tones are dead!

Thank ye gods for sloppy programming. Just don't upgrade your iTunes.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    iPhone ring tones are dead!

Thank ye gods for sloppy programming. Just don't upgrade your iTunes.

Or don't just change your ringtone every time a new Top 40 #1 comes out?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

I love how some of the comments on that post imply that Jobs himself will update iTunes. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's actually awesome how Steve Jobs can make money of thin air. He's charging you 99 cent to create a ringtone of a song that you actually own! Just incredible how you can make money from nothing.

• User profile image
    Ray6

littleguru wrote:
    It's actually awesome how Steve Jobs can make money of thin air. He's charging you 99 cent to create a ringtone of a song that you actually own! Just incredible how you can make money from nothing.

You're paying for the 'Apple love' ... Smiley

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

littleguru wrote:
    It's actually awesome how Steve Jobs can make money of thin air.

No, it's a danger to society. If too many people figure out how to do it we'll end up with hyper inflation. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bas

GoddersUK wrote:

littleguru wrote:

No, it's a danger to society. If too many people figure out how to do it we'll end up with hyper inflation.

I just had a horrible thought. What if this was his idea all along? He's going to make all the currency in the world worthless, causing global catastrophe, delivering him total world domination. Obligatory turtlenecks for everybody.

I bet he got the idea from Hudson Hawk.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

littleguru wrote:

Except you don't own the songs. And neither does Apple. And they need to get separate rights to the songs as Ringtones (which is why only 500K out of 6 million songs are available as ringtones on iTunes), and are passing on the cost (and making a profit I'm sure) to you.

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

DCMonkey wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Except you don't own the songs. And neither does Apple. And they need to get separate rights to the songs as Ringtones (which is why only 500K out of 6 million songs are available as ringtones on iTunes), and are passing on the cost (and making a profit I'm sure) to you.

While this is accurate I really think its a tired model that is now just really getting abusive. Originally it was "Hey you can't go around 'sharing' this stuff. You have to pay for it!" when Napster first took off. Even though everyone else I knew was downloading everything in Napster heaven; I always knew it was wrong and was one of those poor saps still walking into music stores.

When I used to buy a casette tapes of something I liked to listen to, when I was young, say the Beach Boys. I couldn't do anything for profit with those tracks. They were not mine, of course. But I was free to enjoy the format however I could personally. In the car? Sure. At home? Go nuts. In a walkman? Of course.

The only difference between that cassette tape format worked in numerous mediums in a 1 to many relationship. Now file formats are just an opportunistic business model. As long as people believe that ring tones are totally different than the track they just purchased they'll pay for it. That's it. Forget the fact that the software could easily make a track a ringtone.

This concept of "you don't own it" is being used to put the consumer over a barrel. Could you imagine paying the cable company to pwatch a television show and then re-paying to watch on your TiVo?

"Well, uh, you don't actually own the program and you need to purchase the file format that TiVo uses and uh . . ."

Bullsh!t.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Yes, I agree it's pretty ridiculous that they want you to pay extra for the right to play up to 30 seconds of a song triggered by a phone call that you may already have the rights to play in it's entirety on the same device.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Why isn't everyone making a huge stink out of this? I mean, it was all fun and dandy to compare "teh fastest selling smartphone on the planet take that windoze mobile duhh!" but then I can use any MP3/WAV I want as a ringtone on my Blackjack... and I have to pay for it on the iPhone?

WTF? Expressionless

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

JohnnyAwesome wrote:
    ...Could you imagine paying the cable company to pwatch a television show and then re-paying to watch on your TiVo?

"Well, uh, you don't actually own the program and you need to purchase the file format that TiVo uses and uh . . ."

Bullsh!t.

I amazed that we have to even pay the Cable company right now for television. I mean, they're making a killing in advertisements. And to top it off, we're paying a killing to watch their advertisements.

They're raking in a double-portion. They should be more like radio. Tune in, listen for free, oh, and we're going to include commercials and advertisements.

I hope we don't have to pay for radio any time soon...

• User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:
    Why isn't everyone making a huge stink out of this? I mean, it was all fun and dandy to compare "teh fastest selling smartphone on the planet take that windoze mobile duhh!" but then I can use any MP3/WAV I want as a ringtone on my Blackjack... and I have to pay for it on the iPhone?

WTF?

I was under the impression that lots of kids downloaded their ring tones over WAP and had to pay for them?

• User profile image
    Bas

jsampsonPC wrote:

They're raking in a double-portion. They should be more like radio. Tune in, listen for free, oh, and we're going to include commercials and advertisements.

I'm.. paying for radio.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Bas wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

I'm.. paying for radio.

Please tell me it's satellite radio... Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Bas wrote:

GoddersUK wrote:

littleguru wrote:

No, it's a danger to society. If too many people figure out how to do it we'll end up with hyper inflation.

I just had a horrible thought. What if this was his idea all along? He's going to make all the currency in the world worthless, causing global catastrophe, delivering him total world domination. Obligatory turtlenecks for everybody.

I bet he got the idea from Hudson Hawk.

Stop stealing my "its a conspiracy" theories!

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I amazed that we have to even pay the Cable company right now for television. I mean, they're making a killing in advertisements. And to top it off, we're paying a killing to watch their advertisements.

This is why I love the BBC.

Yes, we're forced to pay £9.95 every month for every household with at least one colour TV receiver, but on the bright side 7 TV channels WITH NO ADVERTS or commercial agendas! Wooooo

Okay... one of those channels is a direct feed from the Houses of Parliament, 2 are for children (pre-schoolers and 5-12), one is a hipster station that's going to be shut down, another is too highbrow, but the original two: BBC1 and BBC2 are fine.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

W3bbo wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

This is why I love the BBC.

Yes, we're forced to pay £9.95 every month for every household with at least one colour TV receiver, but on the bright side 7 TV channels WITH NO ADVERTS or commercial agendas! Wooooo

Okay... one of those channels is a direct feed from the Houses of Parliament, 2 are for children (pre-schoolers and 5-12), one is a hipster station that's going to be shut down, another is too highbrow, but the original two: BBC1 and BBC2 are fine.

Hipster station being BBC3 or BBC4? I for one like BBC3, but only because it has Family Guy, American Dad and The Mighty Boosh Tongue Out

I heard one was getting shut down, X fingers its not BBC3.

Otherwise BBC3 is full of _rubbish_ about teens getting cut up and ginger people.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.