Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Media Centre

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

    Does any one know if Cable Cards are available in the UK? Looking at Wikipedia it seems it a US thing only...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

    It would be cool to just replace my SKY HD box with MCE..... Can't do that thou until we can get the signal from sky straight into MCE.....

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Kryptos wrote:
    Can't do that thou until we can get the signal from sky straight into MCE.....


    The encryption technology and cards sky use do not belong to Sky and the licensing only allows set top boxes. No cable card equiviliant until that system changes.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Kryptos wrote:
    It would be cool to just replace my SKY HD box with MCE..... Can't do that thou until we can get the signal from sky straight into MCE.....


    There aren't any DVB-S tuners that work with MCE I'm afraid.

    But I understand there is a good hack you can do involving a Firewire capture card and the "IR Out" port on the MCE Blaster unit.

    EDIT: I take that back. There's a good method here. Technically it's a hack, since the DVB-S tuner presents itself to MCE as a DVB-T tuner.

    Question:

    What is with the rediculously stupid limit of two tuners in non-US MCE boxes or not allowing two dual-tuners? How can it possibly be justified?

    And rather, how is this enforced? The MCE CD image is international, so how does it know what country it's in and how to limit it?

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    W3bbo wrote:
    Question:

    What is with the rediculously stupid limit of two tuners in non-US MCE boxes or not allowing two dual-tuners? How can it possibly be justified?

    And rather, how is this enforced? The MCE CD image is international, so how does it know what country it's in and how to limit it?

    Are you talking about MCE 2005? Or Vista home premium/ultimate?

    If it's MCE 2k5, then the software could not support more than two tuners, in all locales...

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Kryptos wrote:
    Does any one know if Cable Cards are available in the UK? Looking at Wikipedia it seems it a US thing only...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

    It would be cool to just replace my SKY HD box with MCE..... Can't do that thou until we can get the signal from sky straight into MCE.....


    It doesn't work in the US, either, unless your cable provider uses CableCARD...and Comcast doesn't for it's HD packages Sad

    The Hauppauge cards have a feature that allows you to hook and IR transmitter (included with the card) to your cablebox and the card will manually send the command that will change the channel.  Using this, you can get HD recording, but it's a bit of a hack. 

    You can probably do the same thing with the SKY HD box, but at this point, you aren't likely to see an HD provider that will let you hook directly into the computer.

    ...hmmm....although, that would be a decent niche produce that might sell if you can get the card manufacturers and the cable provider guys to cooperate. 

    Ultimately, though, the broadcasters and cable providers don't want you DVRing their content or passing it along to your friends UNLESS you do it with a box they can control Smiley

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    PaoloM wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:
    Question:

    What is with the rediculously stupid limit of two tuners in non-US MCE boxes or not allowing two dual-tuners? How can it possibly be justified?

    And rather, how is this enforced? The MCE CD image is international, so how does it know what country it's in and how to limit it?

    Are you talking about MCE 2005? Or Vista home premium/ultimate?

    If it's MCE 2k5, then the software could not support more than two tuners, in all locales...


    Technically, it's got to be an MCE limitation since I've read of people hooking up more than that (in XP using other software). 

    Even so, the amount of data that has to be dumped to disk for > 2 tuners is pretty massive.  If you're dealing with straight HD, then it's dumped raw, but non-digital content has to be processed and massaged into the correct video format. 

    It can only get better as time goes on, though.

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Kryptos wrote:
    It would be cool to just replace my SKY HD box with MCE..... Can't do that thou until we can get the signal from sky straight into MCE.....


    There aren't any DVB-S tuners that work with MCE I'm afraid.


    there are but you have to use workarounds to receive sky encrypted signal (for example cards need to be re-enabled through the sky decoder (there are certain cards that don't however it's a mess to get them working)).

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    PaoloM wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:
    Question:

    What is with the rediculously stupid limit of two tuners in non-US MCE boxes or not allowing two dual-tuners? How can it possibly be justified?

    And rather, how is this enforced? The MCE CD image is international, so how does it know what country it's in and how to limit it?

    Are you talking about MCE 2005? Or Vista home premium/ultimate?

    If it's MCE 2k5, then the software could not support more than two tuners, in all locales...


    So it's Vista, not MCE2005, but that's not the point. Why is there this artificial limitation to two tuners outside the US? What's the point?

    Since you're on the inside, I trust you can get us the info? Smiley

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    ScanIAm wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:
    Question:

    What is with the rediculously stupid limit of two tuners in non-US MCE boxes or not allowing two dual-tuners? How can it possibly be justified?

    And rather, how is this enforced? The MCE CD image is international, so how does it know what country it's in and how to limit it?

    Are you talking about MCE 2005? Or Vista home premium/ultimate?

    If it's MCE 2k5, then the software could not support more than two tuners, in all locales...


    Technically, it's got to be an MCE limitation since I've read of people hooking up more than that (in XP using other software). 

    Then it's not MCE, isn't it? Smiley
    ScanIAm wrote:
    Even so, the amount of data that has to be dumped to disk for > 2 tuners is pretty massive.  If you're dealing with straight HD, then it's dumped raw, but non-digital content has to be processed and massaged into the correct video format. 

    Not really. MCE (and Vista) require hardware compression on the tuners, so the "strain" is not that evident. Witness the fact that Vista on regular hardware can deal with 4 tuners with no problems.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    PaoloM wrote:
    Not really. MCE (and Vista) require hardware compression on the tuners, so the "strain" is not that evident. Witness the fact that Vista on regular hardware can deal with 4 tuners with no problems.


    But only in the USA, not the rest of the world where we have to make do with two.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote:
    Not really. MCE (and Vista) require hardware compression on the tuners, so the "strain" is not that evident. Witness the fact that Vista on regular hardware can deal with 4 tuners with no problems.


    But only in the USA, not the rest of the world where we have to make do with two.

    I can run up to two SD tuners and up to two HD tuners. Is that different in the UK?

  • User profile image
    webmonkey

    And while were on the subject, isn't there some sort of movies library app in vista MC?

    Not if you live in the UK.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    webmonkey wrote:
    

    And while were on the subject, isn't there some sort of movies library app in vista MC?

    Not if you live in the UK.



    If you mean the DVD Library, that's enabled by hooking up a DVD changer or changing a registry key.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    PaoloM wrote:
    
    W3bbo wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote:
    Not really. MCE (and Vista) require hardware compression on the tuners, so the "strain" is not that evident. Witness the fact that Vista on regular hardware can deal with 4 tuners with no problems.


    But only in the USA, not the rest of the world where we have to make do with two.

    I can run up to two SD tuners and up to two HD tuners. Is that different in the UK?


    Apparently.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.