Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rocket Science...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Activate & Validate Windows

Next

(type type type)

Done!

*You will never be asked again to prove anything to us!

why cant they do that?  why the non stop questioning?

• User profile image
    TimP

I just activated Vista and Office 2007 yesterday and it was pretty painless. Took about 20-30 seconds for each. Now as long as I can reinstall them both, should I ever have to reformat, and they don't "invalidate" themselves, I'll be a happy camper.

• User profile image
    jamie

yes but validate is a <bits and bites>"whole new ball game"

they should be done once - in one place - is all im asking

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

On the contrary, I've gotten false-positives with Office Genuine Advantage before when trying to download templates in Word.  It's a pain in the bum to get it working right again, too (to Microsoft's credit, though, OGA/WGA support doesn't count as a support incident and there's no charge).

Never been hit by a WGA false-positive, but I'm not running Vista, either.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Where is it that you're seeing all these validation prompts, Jamie? I don't see any prompts whatsoever during my daily usage of Windows.

So unless you're spending most of your day downloading stuff from Microsoft.com, I don't understand how you feel you're being hassled.

(PS: Not saying WGA is a good idea, it's not, but it's also not a hassle, unless you're being mislabeled as non-genuine of course)

• User profile image
    jamie

[quote user="Sven Groot"]Where is it that you're seeing all these validation prompts, Jamie? quote]

im not.  i havent downloaded anything since photostory. i did - last week or so - try to download expression again..  *validate* ok - pass

it is just knowing its there...  like a tumor ..spreading...wrecking the vibe of everything...

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

On a side note:

If you visit office update it forces you to run office genuine advantage befor e you can download any updates. I was setting up an old system for someone the other day with Word 2000. This isn't compatible with office genuine advantage so I couldn't update it. I'm too lazy to download all the patches manualy, so they just have an unpatched system now. Would it not be more sensible to only enable oga on update for those versions of office that support it and not make it prevent you downloading updates if it can't find an oga compatible version of office.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

jamie wrote:
    [quote user="Sven Groot"]Where is it that you're seeing all these validation prompts, Jamie? quote]

im not.  i havent downloaded anything since photostory. i did - last week or so - try to download expression again..  *validate* ok - pass

it is just knowing its there...  like a tumor ..spreading...wrecking the vibe of everything...

Soooooo...it isn't causing you trouble, but you're complaining about it?

• User profile image
    jamie

depends on your definition of trouble...

anyway..im not even saying to remove it anymore...(given up)  just make it happen once... at install ...

or ..you like being asked over and over to validate media player and IE that come with windows and used to be "downloads"

(remember those?) Wink

Edit: also - every time i am asked to RE-validate it just makes me think MS doesnt know how to program..

• User profile image
    AndyC

jamie wrote:

or ..you like being asked over and over to validate media player and IE that come with windows and used to be "downloads"

I've never been asked to validate IE or Media Player. What are you talking about?

• User profile image
    jamie

AndyC wrote:

jamie wrote:

I've never been asked to validate IE or Media Player. What are you talking about?

if i pay for windows - why am i seeing this?
    is this not for pirates to see?

cannot the above pages load and check automatically my windows is legal and then NOT show the criminal/bad vibe box?

is there a technical reason why not?

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie wrote:

Privacy.

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart wrote:

jamie wrote:

Privacy.

..from the web you mean...  what if it was removed - and they had downloads again. If the validation was in the exe - running local - it could check and then not show it?

*didnt ie not only have validate to get it - but validate to load it as well?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie wrote:

if i pay for windows - why am i seeing this?
    is this not for pirates to see?

cannot the above pages load and check automatically my windows is legal and then NOT show the criminal/bad vibe box?

Do you actually want web pages to be able to nicely check information about your computer without your permission?

• User profile image
    jamie

mVPstar wrote:

Do you actually want web pages to be able to nicely check information about your computer without your permission?

see above post

wouldnt that work?  downloads are back. yes they do contain validation - but now it only happens once as it can check it

?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Ah, so your main gripe is with the double check that occurs when you download and then go to install.

Maybe it's done that way to ensure that the download is from the right source (MS)...

But yes, I can see how that can get quite annoying.

• User profile image
    jamie

its not the clicking..  for lack of a better term its just plain icky. Smiley

imagine you go to ms.com - theres tons of stuff to download - its all simple like google.. and if youve validated once - you not only do not have to do it over and over - but you never hear of it again. you bought windows... youre in the club!

• User profile image
    AndyC

jamie wrote:

..from the web you mean...  what if it was removed - and they had downloads again. If the validation was in the exe - running local - it could check and then not show it?

Hang on. I thought your complaint was that you knew it was there, even if you don't see it. If it was validating behind your back, how would that be any better?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.