Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's your take on this

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    nexodyne

Always felt the Digg crowd can be pretty harsh on Microsoft. Personally I like alot of the stuff MS puts out. However on this one I have a tendency to kind of agree, IE could be ALOT more standards compliant than it currently is.

Figured I'd get some viewpoints from people around here and see what they think. Looking at this latest "Digg to save the world" attempt, this is probably one of the fastest growing ones I've seen in a while.

http://digg.com/programming/Digg_this_if_you_re_tired_of_IE_costing_you_money_no_ads_involved

BTW, the switch everyone to Firefox idea is NOT my prefered idea, I'd rather just see MS be able to fix up IE's engine.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

What's the purpose to bash IE?

I understand the standards argument, but on digg?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Another day, another anti-MS online orgy ...

Most designers I know start by working on IE and then testing on other browsers; then their sites work everywhere without much problem.

• User profile image
    mig

Ray6 wrote:
    Another day, another anti-MS online orgy ...

Most designers I know start by working on IE and then testing on other browsers; then their sites work everywhere without much problem.

I don't agree with that, I find it better to code for the standars compliant browsers first (IE 7's support for CSS 2.1 is better, but it doesn't even fully support 2.1), and then I fix the 'quirks' for IE.

The IE team has stated that they are working towards greater compatibility and I thank them, I also understand that their job isn't easy because of the monster they themselves (or their predecessors) created when they decided to implement certain things their own way as opposed to how the standards mandated it (and there was probably no standard for other things when they implemented it).

So, I just wait, continue using Firefox as my main development target, and I continue fixing for IE when necessary, hopefully that will change for IE8, but I will still have to fix quirks in IE7 until IE8's market share at least nears that of IE7, dont even get me started on IE6 :/

• User profile image
    W3bbo

nexodyne wrote:
    Always felt the Digg crowd can be pretty harsh on Microsoft. Personally I like alot of the stuff MS puts out. However on this one I have a tendency to kind of agree, IE could be ALOT more standards compliant than it currently is.

Figured I'd get some viewpoints from people around here and see what they think. Looking at this latest "Digg to save the world" attempt, this is probably one of the fastest growing ones I've seen in a while.

http://digg.com/programming/Digg_this_if_you_re_tired_of_IE_costing_you_money_no_ads_involved

BTW, the switch everyone to Firefox idea is NOT my prefered idea, I'd rather just see MS be able to fix up IE's engine.

Digg are a bunch of "me too!" groupies that jump on whatever trendy bandwagon there is. I don't think I've seen groupthink so strong in an online community before, at least on Slashdot the cynical posts pointing out flaws in arguments tended to get modded +4, on Digg you just get buried.

Digg's demographics looks like they're a bunch of unqualified webdesigners who struck it lucky. If they're half as competant as they like to think they are they wouldn't be complaining as much.

• User profile image
    cornelius

if they hate IE so much why dont they block IE users?

watch them fade into obscurity then!

• User profile image
    littleguru

*yawn*

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.