Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Internet TV Software Update Coming to Media Center Next Week?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/microsoft-bringing-internet-tv-feature-to-windows-media-center/

Microsoft plans on unleashing Internet TV on or around September 27th, which will enable Media Center users to watch a variety of on-demand, ad-supported content free of charge. While details were kept slim, we do know that content will fall into Sports, Entertainment, News, Top Picks, Music and Movies categories. Additionally, the videos will reportedly be "better than SD quality, but not HD," although HD programs could certainly emerge in the future. Best of all, this feature will simply be delivered as a normal software update

• User profile image
    a !

a ! wrote:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/microsoft-bringing-internet-tv-feature-to-windows-media-center/

Microsoft plans on unleashing Internet TV on or around September 27th, which will enable Media Center users to watch a variety of on-demand, ad-supported content free of charge. While details were kept slim, we do know that content will fall into Sports, Entertainment, News, Top Picks, Music and Movies categories. Additionally, the videos will reportedly be "better than SD quality, but not HD," although HD programs could certainly emerge in the future. Best of all, this feature will simply be delivered as a normal software update

• User profile image
    W3bbo

a ! wrote:

Unless it supports YouTube (a la AppleTV) this will flop.

No-one wants to watch adverts.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

a ! wrote:

Oh, I don't know.  For free movies that are legal, I'm willing to watch adverts.  I mean I watch Film 4 on Freeview often enough ...
    I'm looking forward to it (assuming it's available in the UK?).

Herbie

• User profile image
    Bas

Dr Herbie wrote:

I'm gonna hazard a guess and predict that this is going to be US only. I wonder what led me to that conclusion.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Oh, I don't know.  For free movies that are legal, I'm willing to watch adverts.  I mean I watch Film 4 on Freeview often enough ...

Filmfour has good films.

If this is Microsoft's attempt at being a content provider/producer, I wish them the best of luck, but they're going to have a hard time negociating free movies and other high-quality media from the big studios funded entirely by advert revenue.

Then there's the issue of DRM to contend with.

Dr Herbie wrote:

Most naive statement I've heard today Wink you already know MCE is crippled (# of tuner-wise) outside the USA, and the "Sports" thing only works in the US too.

Then there's SPOT watches: US only
    CableCARD support: US only
    HD tuner support: US only
    WMP-store integration: US only
    Windows native ADSL support: US only
    Windows native ISDN support: US only
    Affordable software prices: US only (Although Adobe is far worse in this respect)

Microsoft may be US-biased (what with being based there), but they are an international company, so they'd better start acting like it.

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:

a ! wrote:

no one wants to watch ads. true.
    I do not know about "across the pond" but in the US tv stations run ads to pay for running tv stations, very very few cable channels do not have ads.
    so the ads are no big deal as long as they are no worse than tv ads.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

figuerres wrote:

I do not know about "across the pond" but in the US tv stations run ads to pay for running tv stations,

www.bbc.co.uk

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:

You do know YouTube videos are getting ads, right?
    Even the mighty Google can't afford YouTube forever.

W3bbo wrote:

If this is Microsoft's attempt at being a content provider/producer, I wish them the best of luck, but they're going to have a hard time negociating free movies and other high-quality media from the big studios funded entirely by advert revenue.

No. Last I heard, MS' IPTV thingy is a joint effort by MS, content producers, and cable provider. So, it's more of an attempt to make the Xbox into a Tivo.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.