Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

virtual pc, full-screen boot and 1280x800

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

my girlfriend just bought a new laptop with Vista on it however since she needs to use some applications that work only on XP I decided to put Virtual PC with an XP installed on it.

I installed the VM additions however there's no way I can get Virtual PC with full-screen-at-startup mode enabled to mantain the 1280x800 desktop resolution.

if I go from window to full-screen the resolution is set correctly, if I instead have the virtual machine start immediately in full-screen mode the resolution is forced to 1024x768 and there's no way I can set it because the display driver doesn't allow me to use that non-standard resolution and the display pane in the display settings is locked.

any idea? (no, I can't put my copy of VMware on her laptop, she needs an absolutely legal install since that's his work laptop and I can't downgrade to XP for other reasons and yes, I've clicked "Allow all resolutions" in the display settings).

• User profile image
    keeron

Compatibility is a big thing (whichever way you look at it - good/bad) in Vista. I've had a lot of kids software installed on my Vista laptop that refuse to work on anything but Win98/XP, etc... The best way is to right click the setup.exe / installer and set the compatibility mode to your desired OS. This will get the installer to work... then when you execute the program, do the same thing (right-click, properties->Compatibility).

I haven't had problems with any legacy apps (had a few of them for personal / work use) using this.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    my girlfriend...

You're not one of us!

any idea? (no, I can't put my copy of VMware on her laptop, she needs an absolutely legal install since that's his work laptop and I can't downgrade to XP for other reasons and yes, I've clicked "Allow all resolutions" in the display settings).

Make a VMWare image using your copy, then give your gf a copy of the freeware VMWarePlayer software (which plays and saves VMWare machines, but cannot create them).

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

W3bbo wrote:

Make a VMWare image using your copy, then give your gf a copy of the freeware VMWarePlayer software (which plays and saves VMWare machines, but cannot create them).

I can't because of the annoying toolbar (that can't be permanently hidden and always re-appers) that bothers her while he's working.

• User profile image
    figuerres

my girlfriend just bought a new laptop with Vista on it however since she needs to use some applications that work only on XP I decided to put Virtual PC with an XP installed on it.

I installed the VM additions however there's no way I can get Virtual PC with full-screen-at-startup mode enabled to mantain the 1280x800 desktop resolution.

if I go from window to full-screen the resolution is set correctly, if I instead have the virtual machine start immediately in full-screen mode the resolution is forced to 1024x768 and there's no way I can set it because the display driver doesn't allow me to use that non-standard resolution and the display pane in the display settings is locked.

perhaps if you could share with us what the app is and what compat. issues it has ??

is the app a private corp app or an older off-the-shelf app?

most app's that run on xp should run on vista with a few tweaks.

but no one can know which things to tweek untill we know what the problems are.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Just to be sure, we are talking about Virtual PC 2007, right ?

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

figuerres wrote:

perhaps if you could share with us what the app is and what compat. issues it has ??

she needs IE6 because her company uses an old version of lotus domino whose web access doesn't support IE7 because it requires an activex that IE7 doesn't load (I've tried disabling UAC and running other browsers with no luck) and the company won't upgrade it until they will start deploying vista in late 2008.

she also needs another application (a app made only for their company that I don't have a clue what's used for) for connecting to the company's servers that doesn't work on Vista: when launched it hangs for few minutes gobbling all the CPU then it crashes. compatibility mode didn't work, not even disabling the firewall worked and also it doesn't work on a clean Vista install. the application probably won't be updated until her company starts deploying Vista so the only way seems for now to use a VM.

RichardRudek wrote:

yes it's virtual PC 2007.

• User profile image
    figuerres

figuerres wrote:

she needs IE6 because her company uses an old version of lotus domino whose web access doesn't support IE7 because it requires an activex that IE7 doesn't load (I've tried disabling UAC and running other browsers with no luck) and the company won't upgrade it until they will start deploying vista in late 2008.

she also needs another application (a app made only for their company that I don't have a clue what's used for) for connecting to the company's servers that doesn't work on Vista: when launched it hangs for few minutes gobbling all the CPU then it crashes. compatibility mode didn't work, not even disabling the firewall worked and also it doesn't work on a clean Vista install. the application probably won't be updated until her company starts deploying Vista so the only way seems for now to use a VM.

RichardRudek wrote:

yes it's virtual PC 2007.

Dual boot ??

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

figuerres wrote:
    Dual boot ??

that would mean having to lose hours backupping, installing XP, installing updates, drivers, office, reinstalling Vista from a clean DVD (the restore DVD deletes all the other partitions) updates, drivers, office etc. I would burn an entire day for nothing [C]

• User profile image
    figuerres

figuerres wrote:
    Dual boot ??

that would mean having to lose hours backupping, installing XP, installing updates, drivers, office, reinstalling Vista from a clean DVD (the restore DVD deletes all the other partitions) updates, drivers, office etc. I would burn an entire day for nothing

?? Uh ??

ever heard of programs like partition commander ?

just re-size the vista partition and use partition commander or other tool to fix the MBR / partition table to dual boot.

yes it will take a few hours.  but if just two apps are needed then why install all the other stuff?
    just a bare xp and the corp it app.

hey it would work. seems like it's that or use vpc.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

figuerres wrote:

figuerres wrote:
    Dual boot ??

that would mean having to lose hours backupping, installing XP, installing updates, drivers, office, reinstalling Vista from a clean DVD (the restore DVD deletes all the other partitions) updates, drivers, office etc. I would burn an entire day for nothing

?? Uh ??

just re-size the vista partition and use partition commander or other tool to fix the MBR / partition table to dual boot.

yes it will take a few hours.  but if just two apps are needed then why install all the other stuff?

and then XP would end up being installed on the D drive with all the hilarious consequences of buggy installers writing in the Vista partition. also having both XP/Vista installed means Vista system restore being screwed up at each XP boot. pretty annoying. no thanks, I'll keep a virtual machine Expressionless

• User profile image
    figuerres

figuerres wrote:

figuerres wrote:
    Dual boot ??

?? Uh ??

and then XP would end up being installed on the D drive with all the hilarious consequences of buggy installers writing in the Vista partition. also having both XP/Vista installed means Vista system restore being screwed up at each XP boot. pretty annoying. no thanks, I'll keep a virtual machine

Hey I am not trying to drive this to death but I have to say that you can let the boot manager fix the drive letter.
    some of them will auto-hide the non-boot partition (one way to fix it)
    others will setup each system to see the other as the "second drive"

When testing the vista betas I did this and when I used to run dual / multi boots with XP, 2000 and Linux

but hey use vpc if that works, its the simple way... but do be aware that the multi boot can be done very well if you know what tools to use and what settings to fix.

hope it all works out, I know how the "One off" corp apps can be...
    I did some work for the Eckered's drug store chain a few years ago...  took about 3 months to sell them on a .net app to automate a manual process... when they got it it was sweet... the data-clerks loved what I did for them, took about 20-30 manual steps down to about 4. and removed a whole mess of things they could miss with typing errors and such...
    even with what I did they still kept an MS Access database that was a giant Kluge about 8 access databases that were all cross-linked to work as one app.  I had to make my app backup that mess each day in case anything got borked for any reason... could have been done with one sql database. but they did not want to take the time getting approval to do it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.