Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Find As You Type 1.3

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

It's that time again! A new version of Find As You Type for Internet Explorer is now available. With 200% more languages (German (thanks to littleguru) and Dutch (thanks to me)) and 100% less Windows 2000 support.

We've also got some bugfixes, and some minor new features. In any case, it's a worthwhile update for all IE users.

It still looks the same, but don't let that deter you. Smiley

If you're interested in the source code, it's available as always, and much cleaned-up.

Get it now!

Or, don't. Your choice, really. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bas

Nice! Just installed it, looking good so far. Thanks!

One suggestion.. Right now, when the tool finds the text you're looking for, the window only scrolls down far enough so that the found text is visible in the client window. Often when I'm searching large texts for the occurrence of a word, the word is part of a sentence that is continued one line lower. In other words, just outside the visible window. You have to scroll down a bit, read the rest of the sentence, realize that it's not what you're looking for, find the next occurrence, scroll down a bit again, et cetera.

What would fix this, is if the client window wasn't scrolled down just enough to show the found occurence, but if it was scrolled down far enough so that the found occurrence would be in the middle of the client window. That way you could simlply type, read, press enter, read, press enter, et cetera.

Any thoughts?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I agree, but that'd not be trivial to do. Right now I just tell IE to scroll the selection in to view (literally, it's just "range->scrollIntoView()"). That way it easy, but I don't get any control over how far it scrolls.

To implement your suggestion I'd have to figure a way to find the position of the range, figure the size of the viewport, determine how far to scroll, also take horizontal scrolling into account, then tell IE to do that.

Anyway, I'll consider it for the next version. Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Find As You Type is a must have for IE users Smiley

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Upgrading now. Keep up the good work Wink

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

Some heretical question: [A]
    In which way is it better than InlineSearch???

section31

• User profile image
    W3bbo

section31 wrote:
    Some heretical question:

section31

I understand Sven came out with FAYT a few days before InlineSearch

...plus his integrates more nicely aesthetically with IE7

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:

section31 wrote:
    Some heretical question:

section31

I understand Sven came out with FAYT a few days before InlineSearch

...plus his integrates more nicely aesthetically with IE7

and I even translated it into German! If that is not a reason, section31 Cool

• User profile image
    Minh

I like it so much, I got it for my VM Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru wrote:
    and I even translated it into German! If that is not a reason, section31

Littleguru's a trilingual?

Gah! I'm a monolingual, I really should learn another....

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:

littleguru wrote:

From my experience most people that are in Europe (Outisde of England funny enough) are Tri or Quad lingual.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I love this app, it's much ebetter than anything else I've ever used. Surely it cannot get any better? Truly excellent.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

section31 wrote:
    Some heretical question:

section31

As W3bbo pointed out, I was first. Smiley

Also, mine's more configurable (shortcut key, highlight colours), offers auto-start search (with / or any key, like in Firefox), works in 64 bit Internet Explorer, works better with IMEs (e.g. for Japanese input) and is open source so you can be 100% sure it's not spyware (and you can learn from it too if you want to write your own IE add-in). Also, it's certified Niner-friendly. Big Smile

There's not that much difference between the two though. I like mine because I made it, obviously. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Do you think it would be possible to have this awesome thinghie wthout a visible toolbar? I'm trying to keep as much stuff away from my browser as possible nowadays...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

PaoloM wrote:
    Do you think it would be possible to have this awesome thinghie wthout a visible toolbar? I'm trying to keep as much stuff away from my browser as possible nowadays...

What do you mean? You can just hide the toolbar if you're not using it. If there was no toolbar at all, how would you see what you're typing?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Sven Groot wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

What do you mean? You can just hide the toolbar if you're not using it. If there was no toolbar at all, how would you see what you're typing?

Well, let's say I press "/" and then start typing. Wouldn't that start moving the page towards the hit area and highlight the target? I wouldn't have to know what I'm typing because it would be highlighted in front of me...

I think Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I see...

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'd have to figure out a good way to catch keystrokes though. Maybe I could use the status bar too for some feedback. In any case, I definitely like this idea, at least for auto-start (ctrl-f should still show the full bar I think). I'll put it on the list for the next version. Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Indeed. And I speak also a little bit spanish (order foot, drinks, talk with chicks Wink - did it at university) and can understand romanian (quite good when I read it) and dutch (enough to understand everything they explain when you fly with the dutch airlines). Reading french is solala. I can understand some piece if I read it and pronounce it as it is written, not as they pronounce it...

I should be quiet now...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.