Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

:@ @ UAC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Seriously, is it necessary for UAC prompts when copying/moving/creating files/folders on the local drive when logged on directly to the console?

How annoying can this possibly get.

/rant

• User profile image
    TimP

Yes, because as far as Windows (and Unix/Linux and Mac OS X) is concerned, you don't "own" the local drive, just your home folder in Users. Most folks from an MS-DOS or Mac OS (pre OS X) background are used to putting their files in the root system level (C:\ or Macintosh HD) and it causes frustration. IMO, keeping stuff in your Users folder is way better anyways because whenever you need to backup, all your stuff is in one folder.

• User profile image
    keeron

Logged in as a standard user? I'd say yes. You could be "logged" in the console and a virus or website (use your imagination) could do it on your behalf. I'd sure like to delete your program files Smiley

If you are on the console and pretty confident, just log on as the admin (not adviced, but going by you are not happy with UAC, that would work)

I usually have a shortcut to elevated VS, CMD.exe incase I need to do any elevated tasks (running IE in protected mode also helps when doing any banking / secure transactions, but that's just me...paranoid)

• User profile image
    phreaks

TimP wrote:
    Yes, because as far as Windows (and Unix/Linux and Mac OS X) is concerned, you don't "own" the local drive, just your home folder in Users. Most folks from an MS-DOS or Mac OS (pre OS X) background are used to putting their files in the root system level (C:\ or Macintosh HD) and it causes frustration. IMO, keeping stuff in your Users folder is way better anyways because whenever you need to backup, all your stuff is in one folder.

Bah.

My specific gripe is with virtual folders such as wwwroot.
    Putting web files in user folders isn't really going to be of much service, is it?

Also, I can't open files in in these folders directly from explorer (right click-->Open With..), as all I get is a 'File Not found Dialouge'.

Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

phreaks wrote:

TimP wrote:

Bah.

My specific gripe is with virtual folders such as wwwroot.
    Putting web files in user folders isn't really going to be of much service, is it?

Also, I can't open files in in these folders directly from explorer (right click-->Open With..), as all I get is a 'File Not found Dialouge'.

And this is why you can change file permissions...  if a folder needs to be readable to all users (or to a limited user), make it readable to all users.

Likewise, if a folder needs to be writable to all users, make it so.

The default is set up as it is (Admin has full control, regular users have read-only access) to (1) prevent privilege escalation exploits when a limited user writes over an executable that's run in an administator context and (2) to prevent limited users from changing/modifying files that would have an effect across all users' accounts.  If these are not an issue with the files stored in a given folder (i.e., a shared storage area or the content area for your HTTP server), there's nothing stopping you from changing it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.